Kubota Noise and Tippiness

/ Kubota Noise and Tippiness #1  

Plotman

Tractor
Kubota L3901
I need some advice. I bought a new L3901 and am having a few regrets. We've almost tipped it 3 times on our land up north. Never had that issue with our Bobcat 235. Also very annoyed by the noise (hydrolic whining) when driving this unit compared to our old Bobcat. I know I can reverse our Ag tires to make it less tippy but I'm nervous driving it now. Debating on trying to do a swap with the dealer for a Massey with similar HP and bells and whistles. Would like to know the pros and cons of doing this. Thanks

Plot an

/ Kubota Noise and Tippiness #2  
The tires can be adjusted out without reversing if they are like my 3301. The HST noise seems to calm down a bit after break in.

/ Kubota Noise and Tippiness #3  
Welcome!

Are your tires filled? I would make sure the tires are filled and positioned as wide as possible.

For HST, I would make sure is has super udt2 fluid with new filters.

/ Kubota Noise and Tippiness #4  
Set the tires to the widest setting, maybe even add spacers. Load them with fluid, even the fronts. Add any weights you can, as low as possible.

/ Kubota Noise and Tippiness #5  
Noticed the slight "tipsiness" when going from my B2920 ( open tractor) to my new B2650 (with cab) . The dealer is looking into spacers for me and I also keep some weight on the three point al the time. If not an implement I will keep a ballast box attached. The other thing ?I have noticed is that the rubber bushings that cushion the cab to chassis mounting points have moe give than I would like giving the feeling of "tippyness" I going to tighten them down.

As for the HST noise, I had that in my B 2920 and it is more noticeable in the B2650 because of the cab. It should quiet down a little as the tractor brakes in as will the initial jerkiness starting to move forward or back as the transmission brakes in.

/ Kubota Noise and Tippiness #6  
No real way handy to measure/compare the noise levels from the HST. I'd listen to others and just make sure it is within the norms and probably live with it.. Like most Kubota owners I have formed opinions long-term about them. They are such strong and reliable little beasts I am one who thinks "they have problems, just less than all the other brands." However, ... in the entire history of Kubota in the US they have never seemed to understand that our country is not really flat. Kubota is notorious above all other features for not being able to spread the rear wheels wide enough for use on steep ground. There are marginal exceptions on their newer larger machines (the M5 for example) where you can widen the tread but most are a lost cause. With the 3901 at least you do have SOME latitude for spreading the wheels. I would run them out to the max first and see if it is stable enough for your applications. I own both Massey and Kubota. If you find the Kubota is just too limited on wheel spacing, Massey is a good alternative. Most MF have lots of latitude for wheel spacing. Many people have added wheel spacers on various Kubotas. I just purchased a set of 6" spacers to give me a foot more spacing between rear wheels on my B2150. Just for supplemental pasture work in WV it was so uncomfortable in potential rollover I would not use it at all on steep ground until I add the spacers. Friends on the same terrain have added spacers to 2 of their Kubotas (an L3400 and a larger cab model M6040) needing/wanting better resistance to tipovers. Spacers are around $500 if you shop carefully and over $700 a set at the dealers. You better throw that $700 into the equation considering a deal for a Massey.

/ Kubota Noise and Tippiness #7  
The same factors effect the "tippiness" of a tractor, who makes it is irrelevant. We widen the tires on all of our tractors and put fluid in the tires, even added spacers to the small ones. My HST was initially quite noise, but is fine now that it's broken in.

However, your money etc., so do what makes you feel best.

/ Kubota Noise and Tippiness #10  
The same factors effect the "tippiness" of a tractor, who makes it is irrelevant.
Sure, I understand you can work around characteristics of any brand to varying degrees. But who makes it is extremely relevant when the manufacturer fails to provide any degree of width adjustment for the rear wheels, namely Kubota. They are notorious in that regard. The make-do solution is wheel spacers that amount to a kludge to allow one to set the rear wheels further apart and cost hundreds of dollars. Yes, who makes it does matter in terms of the features on the tractor from the factory.