Using a Kubota to Power a Generator for Extended Periods

/ Using a Kubota to Power a Generator for Extended Periods #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
The power grid in my area is unreliable and outages are frequent. I bought a small 2KW gas powered generator many years ago which is sufficient to run the furnace, fridge, TV and a few lights. It isn't large enough for the oven, stove, well pump, septic pump, freezers or A/C. Thankfully, most outages are fairly short duration and the small generator has served us well over the years.

In recent years however, we have been hit by larger storms causing extended outages. During hurricane Irene in 2011, we were out of power for 7 days. After we were out 8 1/2 days during superstorm Sandy in 2012, I bought a 13KW PTO generator for my Kubota. With a little conservation, it will power the entire house. I've used it for a couple of short outages lasting a few hours and the setup works well. Hurricane season is upon us again and with it, the possibility of another extended outage.

Has anyone had experience running a tractor powered generator for extended periods like 12+ hours a day for a week or more? Any problems like overheating, regen issues etc? Running the tractor at 2800 rpm continuously like that makes me a bit nervous. The dealer claims "running a generator is the easiest duty a Kubota will ever see". Still, he's the guy selling me the generator and perhaps a new Kubota in the future.

Obviously, the best solution would be a pad mounted whole house generator but the price is too high. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

/ Using a Kubota to Power a Generator for Extended Periods #2  
That is exactly how I ended up with the two-pronged approach I have:
Sandy -- 12 days without power: what worked, what didn't ... - AR15.COM

As you can see from above, from a fuel conservation standpoint it's a good solution.

wrooster

DSCN8474.JPG

/ Using a Kubota to Power a Generator for Extended Periods #3  
Your dealer is right...

SR

/ Using a Kubota to Power a Generator for Extended Periods #4  
Do not worry about the tractor . Keep clean and proper fuel , cold weather , on hand . Do be aware of the PTO shaft at all times ! Kids , dogs , neighbors , like to get curious about running tractors . Diesel engines are designed for continuous duty like this . Are you going to need the tractor for other things while power is out ? Kevin .

/ Using a Kubota to Power a Generator for Extended Periods #5  
The power grid in my area is unreliable and outages are frequent. I bought a small 2KW gas powered generator many years ago which is sufficient to run the furnace, fridge, TV and a few lights. It isn't large enough for the oven, stove, well pump, septic pump, freezers or A/C. Thankfully, most outages are fairly short duration and the small generator has served us well over the years.

In recent years however, we have been hit by larger storms causing extended outages. During hurricane Irene in 2011, we were out of power for 7 days. After we were out 8 1/2 days during superstorm Sandy in 2012, I bought a 13KW PTO generator for my Kubota. With a little conservation, it will power the entire house. I've used it for a couple of short outages lasting a few hours and the setup works well. Hurricane season is upon us again and with it, the possibility of another extended outage.

Has anyone had experience running a tractor powered generator for extended periods like 12+ hours a day for a week or more? Any problems like overheating, regen issues etc? Running the tractor at 2800 rpm continuously like that makes me a bit nervous. The dealer claims "running a generator is the easiest duty a Kubota will ever see". Still, he's the guy selling me the generator and perhaps a new Kubota in the future.

Obviously, the best solution would be a pad mounted whole house generator but the price is too high. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

If your tractor won't make it's rated pto power, and pto rpm, from full gas tank to empty gas tank, you bought the wrong tractor.

PS. During an emergency, you do realize that you don't need to run continously for 24/7 right?

You know. run it for a couple hours to charge batteries, cool refers, pump up some water, heat some water, etc, then shut down. Practicing normal conservation, and your pressure tank should keep toilets flushing and hand washing water for short time periods in between power ups. IE.. you shouldn't be using enough waste water to need the septic pump in between power ups.

water heated int he water heater will stay hot between power ups, and the pressure tank will give you pressure, so if you HAD to.. you could take a hot shower with power off.. etc.

During the 04 / 05 florida hurricane bonanza, I had a collection of antique fords that ran my 12kw genny as needed. off and on for a couple weeks.

when I was working on my farm before power was out there, my old ford 660 from 1955 ran that genny to do fencing and pump the well up for the animals stock tanks.

If that kubota can't do that.. sell it and get a real tractor!

( Hint... the kubota CAN do it.. )

/ Using a Kubota to Power a Generator for Extended Periods #6  
That is exactly how I ended up with the two-pronged approach I have:
As you can see from above, from a fuel conservation standpoint it's a good solution.
wrooster
It's also the same approach I took, pto gen set for long outages, to run my whole house as needed, and a Honda 2000 to run the fridge and any heat I need, for short outages...

SR

Last edited:
   / Using a Kubota to Power a Generator for Extended Periods #7  
It will work great until you loose oil pressure or spring a leak in your cooling system. A PTO set is great to have, but I would keep an eye on things. I always found myself listening intently for any sign of problems. I feel more at ease having a system that will shut itself down in case of trouble.

/ Using a Kubota to Power a Generator for Extended Periods
If your tractor won't make it's rated pto power, and pto rpm, from full gas tank to empty gas tank, you bought the wrong tractor.

PS. During an emergency, you do realize that you don't need to run continously for 24/7 right?

You know. run it for a couple hours to charge batteries, cool refers, pump up some water, heat some water, etc, then shut down. Practicing normal conservation, and your pressure tank should keep toilets flushing and hand washing water for short time periods in between power ups. IE.. you shouldn't be using enough waste water to need the septic pump in between power ups.

water heated int he water heater will stay hot between power ups, and the pressure tank will give you pressure, so if you HAD to.. you could take a hot shower with power off.. etc.

During the 04 / 05 florida hurricane bonanza, I had a collection of antique fords that ran my 12kw genny as needed. off and on for a couple weeks.

when I was working on my farm before power was out there, my old ford 660 from 1955 ran that genny to do fencing and pump the well up for the animals stock tanks.

If that kubota can't do that.. sell it and get a real tractor!

( Hint... the kubota CAN do it.. )

I guess I should have added a few more details.
The generator requires 35 HP and the PTO HP on my MX5800 is 50+ so there are no problems there.

I realize I don't need to run the tractor generator 24/7. the 2KW unit takes care of the nighttime requirements. However, since most of our long term power outages occur during spring / summer storms, my big concern is air conditioning. We have several elderly family members living with us who, for health reasons, are sensitive to heat. We run the A/C most of the day and switch to fans at night if required. The house heats up fairly quickly when the A/C is off.

I use other equipment for snow removal and have yet to need the tractor for other chores during a power outage.

@Wrooster, Thanks for the link and the good information. I guess I shouldn't complain. An 8 1/2 day outage is nothing compared to what some of you folks closer to the coast faced.

/ Using a Kubota to Power a Generator for Extended Periods #9  
Sounds like you have a good system worked out, to me!

SR

/ Using a Kubota to Power a Generator for Extended Periods #10  
It will work great until you loose oil pressure or spring a leak in your cooling system. A PTO set is great to have, but I would keep an eye on things. I always found myself listening intently for any sign of problems. I feel more at ease having a system that will shut itself down in case of trouble.

Then get murphy switch gauges. .. then your machine can shut itself down if it sees a fault.