BX1500 randomly will not start

/ BX1500 randomly will not start #1  

twisted_pair

Tractor
Kubota BX1500 (2004)
Hi all,
I have a 2004 BX1500 that randomly will not start. It will crank over with lots of speed (has a new battery) but when it decides not to start, its like its not getting fuel. One thing I have noticed is normally I hear a loud solenoid clunk when I turn off the key. But when it wont start i don't hear this solenoid sound. I thought it might be the interlock switches on the seat, but they appear to work.
Can anyone direct me to a site where I can download a wiring diagram to help me troubleshoot.

Thanks

/ BX1500 randomly will not start
I think found the issue. The rubber boot on the stop solenoid is deteriorated and sometimes the stop solenoid does not return to Run position. I'll see if that boot is a part on its own and clean up the solenoid (if the plunger does indeed come out!)

Thanks

/ BX1500 randomly will not start #3  
If you do a search you will find some threads about starting problems on Kabota tractors, both the BX series and others. I wish I could post a link but I don't have one handy. The problem that many of us experienced is the fact that the various safety interlock contacts develop resistance, and this results in less than optimal voltage being applied to the starter solenoid.

The cure is to install an interposing relay between the safety circuit and the starter solenoid. There are threads here that call out the exact thing that you need to use.

I had the same problem with my BX 2200 which is 13 years old, and suffered with it for over two years. After I installed the relay between the safety circuit and the solenoid, it has started flawlessly on the first try.

I think my cost for parts delivered was about $30. You could do it cheaper if you source the relay itself. The relay recommended in the other threads has a pick up old voltage of about eight votes, and a drop out voltage of about 3 Volts, if I remember correctly.

I can't express how nice it is to have the engine start on the first turn of the key every time! I can't believe I suffered with the click click click, every time I Tried to start the machine, for over two years!

Just a thought in case this is what you're experiencing. Hope this helps...

/ BX1500 randomly will not start #4  
Most of the BX tractors only ENERGIZE the solenoid to STOP the engine, the ones that energize to run engine usually have 2 coils, one to hold and the other is the pull in winding and there are 3 wires.

The low voltage relay helps when the operator presence switch get old and have a poor connection. Had to put one on my G2160 but the BX2230 still is ok.

David

/ BX1500 randomly will not start #5  
eBay usually has several of those stop solenoids.

They are extremely sensitive to water so a deteriorated boot would be a failure indicator. I replaced three of them on a L3650 until I figured out the problem. No more power washing for me.

/ BX1500 randomly will not start #6  
Misread your post...sorry!

Obviously if the engine is cranking it is not an issue with the starter electrical circuit! :mad: My bad...

Guess I am still excited about mine starting every time on the first key turn :laughing:

Bill

/ BX1500 randomly will not start
eBay usually has several of those stop solenoids.

They are extremely sensitive to water so a deteriorated boot would be a failure indicator. I replaced three of them on a L3650 until I figured out the problem. No more power washing for me.

Its been getting worse, today I had to reach in and release it twice. So I pulled out the solenoid, it would bind in the last 1/8" of travel. I looked up the cost on-line.. humm 99.00 to 160.00US$ and being in Canada, multiply that by 1.5. Being an Ex-farmboy and now electronics guy, I took it apart. I could see where the plunger was sticking on the coil and cleaning didn't help.

I think the plastic form is deforming under the heat of the coil and the engine. The coil is best left alone so I carefully ground the plunger down where the interference was. No more binding, so I reassembled and re-installed. Works great!. I should test the current in coil, but there coil is only energized for a few seconds for fuel cutoff and shutdown.

Kubby lives in a nice warm shop so I hope this fix lasts for a few years without the boot. A perfect boot will keep water out, but a boot with a crack will keep water in even better!

Thanks all