Holy Muffler M5400

/ Holy Muffler M5400 #1  

Liquidsilver

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M5400
My first 'big' tractor is my 1999 Kubota M5400 4x4.

Most of the hours since I've had it have gone into mowing my rough fields with a 6' Modern Ag rotary cutter. I've learned lots of lessons already, including how to replace a ruptured hydraulic line on the FEL.

I had a muffler shop shorten the exhaust pipe above the muffler by 6 inches, so it would fit in my garage. And after about 30 hours of mowing, and brushing the low hanging tree branches, my rusty muffler is starting to show some rusty cracks in the top, and it's split open. It doesn't seem much louder, but I would like to replace the muffler with something that doesn't cost a fortune. Do TSC Stores (and the like) have mufflers on the shelf I can just pick one that looks like the best fit?

Thanks for your help.

IMG_2369.JPG

/ Holy Muffler M5400 #2  
The TSC's and other farm stores in my area have tractor mufflers in stock. You will need to measure the diameter of your current exhaust pipe and select a style and size for your tractor as they come in different sizes and pipe diameters. If you get reasonably close to the pipe diameter and are a little loose you can use a sleeve of thin sheet metal to fill the gap along with a pipe clamp.

Welcome to TBN!

/ Holy Muffler M5400 #3  
General question: would he have to use a "tractor" muffler, or do you tractor experts think any reasonably sized, and compatible, muffler selected from a place like a NAPA store, where a large selection can be found, would be a suitable substitute. Just curious.

/ Holy Muffler M5400 #4  
I have no idea if there is a difference between diesel and gas mufflers but if me, I would talk to a muffler shop that knows tractors. They are out there, rural areas. My tractor shop sent me to one for exhaust pipe over factory pipe but the pipe is very simple.

/ Holy Muffler M5400 #5  
General question: would he have to use a "tractor" muffler, or do you tractor experts think any reasonably sized, and compatible, muffler selected from a place like a NAPA store, where a large selection can be found, would be a suitable substitute. Just curious.

I sure as heck am not a tractor expert, I do know which end to sit on (I think):). As long as the exhaust flow is unobstructed and soot and carbon do not buildup, you should be good to go. Put a glass-pack or a fart-can muffler on and watch the country girls admire your tractor.

/ Holy Muffler M5400 #6  
I have no idea if there is a difference between diesel and gas mufflers,,

There is a major difference,,,
The JD 630 gas and diesel had the same muffler mount flange.
My BIL picked up the wrong one for his 630,,, WOW,, was the 630 SUPER loud

Within 2 weeks, he went back and got the correct one,,,

/ Holy Muffler M5400 #7  
I have put on standard mufflers from NAPA on a diesel tractor without issue. But I always selected the largest that would fit.

/ Holy Muffler M5400
Thanks for the replies. I've ordered things from AgriSupply, and the shipping is a little steep, but this muffler seems to match the dimensions: (it won't let me post the link since I'm a greenhorn) agrisupply.com/muffler-to-fit-kubota-tractors/p/36868/ but without a picture, I can't tell if the configuration is right. It has to be the oval shape, so it doesn't get in the way of the FEL.

I do want to keep the tractor quiet, too. A loud exhaust won't be entertaining on those 12-hour mowing days. The rotary cutter mowing rocks is loud enough. LOL

It will be best if I can find one on the shelf, so I can be sure the fit looks right.

/ Holy Muffler M5400 #9  

i tried a gas engine muffler on my Ford 3000 diesel (trying to quiet it down) and it seemed to burn the packing out REAL quick, bought a new factory style replacement and it had no packing, Thinking the diesel exhaust temps and pressure pulses are higher due to the compression these diesels run at

/ Holy Muffler M5400 #10  
i tried a gas engine muffler on my Ford 3000 diesel (trying to quiet it down) and it seemed to burn the packing out REAL quick, bought a new factory style replacement and it had no packing, Thinking the diesel exhaust temps and pressure pulses are higher due to the compression these diesels run at

Also a diesel normally has no throttle so the muffler gets a full blast of air at all times. Even more air at full throttle if there is a turbo involved.