B2650 Mid PTO question

/ B2650 Mid PTO question #1  

NEPA guy

Bronze Member
Tractor
B2650 FEL, BH, Snowblower/plow, forks
I am a relatively new owner of a B2650. My first post on this site. I frequent orange tractor talks, so I'm kinda cheating by asking advice here, so don't rat me out. :laughing:

I'm looking for some hard facts as I'm having a dispute with my dealer. I have contacted kubota corp. directly and waiting on a reply.

I replaced the mid pto gear case because the drain bolt was stripped when I did my first 50 hour of service. Warranty would have covered replacing the case, but it was cheaper for me to do it myself other than pay to have it picked up and dropped off.

It was a fairly simple project. Four bolts dropped the case. Pried off the oil seal, lifted out the shaft, popped it in the new case, put in new oil seal, some gasket sealant, bolted back up, new drain bolt.

Done. Well, except for this clicking sound coming from the mid pto shaft. I didn't engage it beforehand (my fault) so I can't say what a "normal" sound was. I don't know if there was a factory defect or if it was something I inadvertently did.

The general consensus was that something is wrong. Not normal. Disappointed, I called it in to have it picked up and to end my problem in one fell swoop.

They said the gears weren't meshing properly. I didn't put it back right. They uninstalled and reinstalled it. Checked it, and said everything was working properly.

I get it back and the clicking sound is still there. :confused: I went to the dealership, and had a salesman show me an an identical model. Ran the mid pto with the engine at low idle. No clicking sound.

I have the 3 videos I made on my phone, and gave copies to the the service manager. He said he would send them to kubota for analysis. I get a call back. They said its normal. Despite the fact that the one in the lot didn't make the clicking sound.

I'm getting the runaround. They don't want to pick the tractor up. So I said well if it's normal then why was I charged $$$$ to fix it? Either way, I have a problem.

A. I was wrongfully charged for fixing something that wasn't broke to begin with. B. They refuse to take responsibilities for their actions and fix the real problem.

Please look at the 3 videos I made and let me know what you think. First video is "reinstalled mid pto case" that I did, second "after the fix" that they did, third is "2650 on the lot" I'm comparing it to.

danny 9toes
- YouTube

Other than that I really enjoy the machine. I had an unfortunate experience with a lemon 3350 I bought and traded it down to the 2650 of which I'm happy with. I did manage to make a cool video of me blowing snow in the 3350.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

/ B2650 Mid PTO question #2  
I'm not sure how they can say it is normal when the one on the lot is smooth and without noise. I would guess that the gears may not be meshing properly as you already suspect. Hopefully you can get this figured out. I'm interested to know what you find out. It sounds the same from when you worked on it versus when they worked on it.

/ B2650 Mid PTO question
I have some reliable sources saying it's not right, and I tend to believe them. The reply from kubota corp will be the final word. I'm just hoping someone with a 2650 can chime in. I'll relay the info from kubota when they get back to me (could be days or weeks even)

/ B2650 Mid PTO question #4  
I have a 3350 and there is a clicking sound coming from the rear pto area. Been there since day one and doesn't seem to effect anything. Got another year under warranty so we'll see. I only use the mid pto for the snowblower and that is mostly run at wot.