Mowing Mid-mount mower deck converted to rear mount 3 point?

/ Mid-mount mower deck converted to rear mount 3 point? #1  

tl2926

Tractor
B2100
This is probably a crazy idea:

Can I take a mid-mount Kubota mower and convert it to a rear mount 3 point setup? Can I change the gearing in the gear box of the mower to make it work for the slower 540 RPM rear PTO?

It should be fairly easy to make a modified 3 point frame and weld it onto the mid-mount mower deck so I can lift it with the 3 point hitch. The hard part that I see is the gearing for the PTO.

Can this be done? Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks,
Tim

/ Mid-mount mower deck converted to rear mount 3 point? #2  
Regearing would be impractical. I would use external gearing to drive the gear box at the proper speed. I wouldn't do this project. It would make the MMM valueless. I would opt for selling the MMM and buying the right tool for the job. I have a MMM laying around. I've considered bolting a motor on it so I can cut 120" a pass, but I decided that would be impractical where I mow.

/ Mid-mount mower deck converted to rear mount 3 point? #3  
4570Man is right - re-gearing would be impractical.

From TractorData.com:
Rear RPM: 540 (1.375)
Engine RPM: 540@2584
Mid RPM: 2537*
Engine RPM: 2537@2600​
So you'd need about a 4.8:1 step-up ratio to get your rear PTO 540 up to 2600 RPM for the input to the mower.

Changing the gears in the mower deck won't work - I guarantee that the gearbox isn't large enough, even if you could find gears with the right tooth count, spline sizes & bearing diameters/positions.

You might be able to accomplish this using a multi-sheave pulley arrangement with 2 or 3 belts. Of course, you'd need to check that the rotation is in the right direction.

You'd probably save money & time by selling the deck to someone who needs it & buying a used, made for the purpose, rear mount mower.

-Jim

/ Mid-mount mower deck converted to rear mount 3 point?
Thanks guys.

Kinda what I figured, but it was worth a shot to ask.

/ Mid-mount mower deck converted to rear mount 3 point? #5  
It can be done. Ever since I saw a big block Chevy with a blower on it stuffed into the front of a VW Bug, I learned anything is possible. The questions is should you or is it cost effective?

/ Mid-mount mower deck converted to rear mount 3 point? #6  
It can be done. Ever since I saw a big block Chevy with a blower on it stuffed into the front of a VW Bug, I learned anything is possible. The questions is should you or is it cost effective?

Lol... off topic, but a buddy of mine has a MudBug... beetle body, scout frame, 9" ford rear, D44 front, 40" boggers, and in true WV form, big block Chevy motor is in the rear! Wins top places at all the local mud bogs...

As to the mower deck... not practical, but stranger things have been built. At least you are aware of the input pto rpm difference.

/ Mid-mount mower deck converted to rear mount 3 point? #7  
It would be interesting if you could replace the gear box from the MMM with one from a RFM.

/ Mid-mount mower deck converted to rear mount 3 point? #8  
It would be interesting if you could replace the gear box from the MMM with one from a RFM.
No. The finish mower gear box is low speed. It relies on a large pulley to gain it's gear increase. Based on my crude calculations my Howse finish mower turns the blades at a 1-7.5 ratio. Most of that is made up in the belts and pulleys.

Last edited:
   / Mid-mount mower deck converted to rear mount 3 point? #9  
Why not consider another route. Move the MMM up to the front using the front snow blower mid-pto extenstion. Once you have a front mounted mower, you'll never look back ( ! ).

/ Mid-mount mower deck converted to rear mount 3 point? #10  
Exactly what I was thinking. A front mount mower would be nice. Did anyone ever try it?