Grease Zerks?

/ Grease Zerks? #21  
At one point I thought it would be a good idea, but after greasing my tractor a few times I really wouldn't care to install and remove caps every time. On my backhoe the pins at the end of the dipper and the stabilizers get filled with mud. I'd have to dig the mud out before I could pull the cap off either way.

I must make sure I have an ice pick or small screwdriver around to clean out chunks before putting in new grease. I wipe off zerks, but don't spend a lot of time. If some grease squirts out of the joint I leave it. It will fall off eventually. I mostly wipe up where i think I might accidentally touch.

Last edited:
   / Grease Zerks? #23  
The FEL has neat little rubber caps - about the size of a quarter - covering some zerks and others are left completely open - ???. The two zerks on my Wallenstein chipper have little plastic caps. I've never noticed that it makes much difference. I wipe off the zerk before I grease and that's it.

/ Grease Zerks? #24  
The FEL has neat little rubber caps - about the size of a quarter - covering some zerks and others are left completely open - ???. The two zerks on my Wallenstein chipper have little plastic caps. I've never noticed that it makes much difference. I wipe off the zerk before I grease and that's it.

Me too. I think something important to do is to replace a zerk if it starts to let grease back out or shows the slightest sign of not working right. That seems to solve zerk problems before they get to be a problem.

I have caps on my JD5520 and while I like it I theory, dislike it because it's a pain to R and R.

/ Grease Zerks? #25  
Around here all the ATV shops at the coast sell the hard plastic ones. Keeps the sand from the dunes off the nipples and getting pumped into the joints. Frequent greasing, sometimes daily is needed to keep the sand flushed out of the joints.

David

/ Grease Zerks? #26  
Around here all the ATV shops at the coast sell the hard plastic ones. Keeps the sand from the dunes off the nipples and getting pumped into the joints. Frequent greasing, sometimes daily is needed to keep the sand flushed out of the joints.

That sounds like a perfect use for the caps. Even better if they had screw on caps like the dust covers for tire stems.

/ Grease Zerks? #28  
That sounds like a perfect use for the caps. Even better if they had screw on caps like the dust covers for tire stems.

On eBay..

s-l500.jpg

1/8-27 NPT Straight Grease Zerk With Screw on Dust Cap Fitting For 5 Pieces | eBay

/ Grease Zerks? #29  

I can't imagine unscrewing a cap for each zerk on my tractor. It would probably take me a day and half just to grease the thing. Lord only knows how many of the caps I'd lose fumbling around with them. Between the backhoe, loader and tractor there are something like 50 of the things all told.
I got myself a good cordless grease gun then put a locknlube tip on it. I just give each zerk a wipe with a rag to remove the old grease and dirt, then fire away. It cost a little but that took most of the time and labor out of it. I leave the excess grease on the zerk to keep it from drying out and to help keep the dirt and water out.

/ Grease Zerks? #30  
imagine screwing those caps on and off with greasy fingers. :thumbdown: