3ph attachment for hauling out trees

/ 3ph attachment for hauling out trees #1  

johnw

Tractor
Kubota L3400
I just bought an L3400 (take delivery next Monday, can't sleep the waiting is killing me). It is my first tractor. I've driven a few over the years but mostly just dreamed of finally getting my own. Don't know much about working a 3PH. Occasionally I'd like to use it to haul a few trees up from the woods for fire wood. I Know I could purchase a farmi winch (spelling?) but money is real tight after the big purchase. I have heard of guys mounting some kind of steal/iron bracket with slots cut into it that a chain can be attached to. Appreciate any suggestions.

/ 3ph attachment for hauling out trees #2  
You could get some logging tongs to drag them out. You could also buy a pallet mover or carry all from TSC. I bought the carry all for under $80. Would have got the pallet mover but they didn't have any. The carry all is rated at 1000lbs vs 2000 for the pallet mover.

Get some pallets and put them in the woods. Cut and stack your firewood right there. Slide the carryall forks into the pallet, lift it up and take it where you want.

Some folks have used snow fence and reusable tie wraps to stack the wood higher and keep it from falling off. Thats what I'm using this year.

/ 3ph attachment for hauling out trees #3  
You can always hook a log chain to the drawbar - not the 3 point - and snake logs where you need them, however dragging logs tends to cake them with dirt that will dull your chainsaw, so it's better to cut your firewood in the woods.

If you must drag a log, go slow and be ready to stop if it snags on something so you don't snap the chain or have an upset.

/ 3ph attachment for hauling out trees #4  
Pick up a drawbar for $22.00 for the 3pt. I used my neighbors Kubota last fall to haul 28 trees out of the woods for beams for my barn. I just backed up over the log. Wrapped a choker chain around the tree. Set the bar down on the tree and wrapped the chain around the bar tight. Lifted the 3pt and drove away with it. The only dirt will be at the other end from dragging.

/ 3ph attachment for hauling out trees #5  
I made a 3 pt. hitch receiver out of 3" angle iron, then cut slots in the horizontal piece to attach chains to. I don't have any pics, let me know if I didn't make it clear. I also used a piece of angle across the top of my bucket with the slots, stiffens the bucket top and gives multiple chain attachment spots. I've also got a farmi winch. The weight of the winch combined with the low rear profile(sticking out the back) makes it a great attachment for getting around the woods or doing loader work in tight areas. Also, because it is narrower than my back blade, I find it follows the contours of the ground better for leveling. Course, this is the winch with the dozer blade.

/ 3ph attachment for hauling out trees
Hi Tom, thanks for the info. That is a great idea to weld a piece of steal with a bunch of slots cut into it across the top of the FEL. Like you said it stiffens the bucket and give you a lot of flexibility as to where you hook the chains to. I have a friend who will sell me an old farmi winch $100 so I'd be foolish not to take it but I was thinking for the most part I would like to have some type of receiver hitch like you mentioned. A few people mentioned a draw bar. I don't think I have seen one of those?

/ 3ph attachment for hauling out trees
Hi Jim, I'll certainly pick one up if it is only around $22. Where do you think I can get one. You're down in Mass. right? I'm just up in NH in Alton Bay. Thanks John

/ 3ph attachment for hauling out trees #8  
You can get a cat 1 draw bar with 11 holes 3/4" dia, with lift pins from Agri-Supply for $14.95 + shipping. Part # 28272. Its 1" thick and 2.5" wide. I got one.

While you are at it, you can order any other small stuff you need. Go to the Agri-Supply web site and request a catalog. Its got tons of good stuff.

/ 3ph attachment for hauling out trees #9  
Nice idea! I will try that with the next batch of logs to be moved (I have hundreds!). The 3 pt drawbar can be more risky for skidding logs that could be snagged since it can be raised too high, but using a choker chain to lift the front end of the log(s) takes care of the snag problem very nicely.

/ 3ph attachment for hauling out trees #10  
Wow, you just bough a little tractor for many thousands$$$$ and have never headr of a holed drawbar /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, you really are a newbie /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, it works fine, that is what i use myself . Be sure not to lift it too much, just a few inches works fine, remember the more you lift it the lighter your front end gets, go slow and watch out for snags like large rocks or stumps. I try to haul them logs mostly in the wintertime, that way i avoid the dirt dulling my saw, snow can be your friend /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but you can also wait for the rain to wash away the dirt once you have hauled the logs , just be careful, a compact tractor is no big-time skidder, it is only a garden tractor on steroid /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif