Shallow tiller depth with MMM mounted on BX2200

/ Shallow tiller depth with MMM mounted on BX2200 #1  

larryw

New on the block here. Also new with the tractor and need some help.

I just got a used 02 BX2200 with only 122 hrs with FEL, 54" MMM and tiller, all for $10,100. Do you think this was a pretty good deal? I am really liking it so far. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I took it for a test run today. Everthing seems to be ok. The tiller depth is only going about 6 inches deep. It is a fairly new Land Pride ( not sure of the model yet - its dark out right now) The unit has two more bolt holes to adjust the feet drag so it will go lower.

I am curious to know if having the MMM installed will limit the 3 point hitches ability to go down further. One guy told me to raise the MMM all the way up and then set the MMM height control knob to "TOP". After I did that step the 3PH would not go down near as much as before.

I don't plan to till an awful lot, that's why I left the MMM on.
Am I going to be forced to remove the MMM to till deeper? I know how to get the deck off already but it's just a little hassle. Any help appreciated.

LarryW

(Thank God - NO MORE of Dad's wore out "hand me down" lawn tractors, God rest his soul)

/ Shallow tiller depth with MMM mounted on BX2200 #2  
Hi Larry,

Congrats on the new tractor!

The way you described the MMM adjustment is correct. I'd think the skid shoes on the tiller are keeping it from going deeper. If I have my tiller set to its deepest setting, it is about 6".

What I found in tilling hard clay is that at it's deepest setting, the tiller banged and jumped around a lot. I changed it to it's shallowest setting, about 2", and it ran smooth as silk. When I do multiple passes, the skid shoes are running in loose stuff, so the depth on the 2nd pass is about 4". Doesn't take much longer as you can run faster. Much easier on the tiller.

And what I found is when I tilled way deep, the ground was too fluffy for too long. Tilling shallower allowed me to plant grass much sooner and easier.

If I were wanting to till way deep, I'd run some rippers through the ground first to break up the soil. Again, this would make it much easier on your expensive tiller.

Hope this helps.
Ron

/ Shallow tiller depth with MMM mounted on BX2200 #3  
Ron's correct, you have the adjustment on the MMM right and should look at the implement to see what's hanging it up.

But on another note...given the nature of tilling, I'd personally remove the MMM even if the tilling job is small. It will give you more manuverability, reduce the chance of damaging the MMM and significantly cut down on your cleanup time. The MMM is easy to remove once you've done it a couple of times, especially if you use the FEL to lift the tractor slightly while pulling the MMM out and sliding it under. (Dealer showed me this) You can also use that as an opportunity to clean the underside of the MMM and check the blade condition while it's off the machine...most folks don't do that often enough.

/ Shallow tiller depth with MMM mounted on BX2200 #4  
I have no problem just pulling the mower straight out the side, no loader needed. I can have the mower off in one minute flat! 3 minutes on.

/ Shallow tiller depth with MMM mounted on BX2200 #5  
I agree with Jim, remove the MMM or it'll act as a very effective blade on the loose soil. The deeper the till the more ground clearance you'll need.
Warren