Paint..Orange vs. Orange 2

/ Paint..Orange vs. Orange 2 #1  

gwtx

Tractor
Hesston(fiat) 466DT/ Kubota7060/Ford 3400/KomatsuD20 Modern AG 15' batwing
Which Orange is used on a 2012 M8540HDC ? Sorry to bring up an old topic, but, I did search and found lots of posts on paint, but no answer to this question. Thanks Gary

/ Paint..Orange vs. Orange 2 #2  
I would guess it would be Orange 2 being so new.
Dealer should be able to give a absolute answer.

/ Paint..Orange vs. Orange 2 #3  
Orange II, no question.

Orange was replaced a long time ago.

/ Paint..Orange vs. Orange 2 #4  
Orange II for sure.

Rustoleum "Lobster Red" is not far off, just a tiny bit too reddish. Is fine for repainting buckets and implements though.

/ Paint..Orange vs. Orange 2 #5  
I recently use Husqvarna orange to paint a deck. It was close enough for that, but not for a touch up on the tractor. I couldn't find lobster red. The tractor this went on was badly sun faded and just about any orange was good enough.

/ Paint..Orange vs. Orange 2 #6  
I used to spend a lot of time trying to find "close enough" alternate paints so I could save a couple of dollars on touching up this or that. After many years of trying, I learned that the only correct paint to use is the correct OEM factory paint. In my case, Kubota paint was not only the correct color but was a higher quality acrylic enamel but would last longer, maintain color correctly and match whatever color was already there. The close enough paint looked out of place and you could always tell where it was. We've all seen that.

By contrast, the alternate paints were often lower quality so the "savings" weren't really there. it was merely paying less for what almost always was a lower quality product. When quality and contents were compared, we were probably paying more for what we were getting than if you were comparing apples to apples rather than just initial price.

When you have a $25,000 to $50,000 tractor and save $10 or $20 on paint over the life of the tractor, that's probably not a good idea for several reason. It doesn't match, affects pride of ownership and will usually lower resale values by making the item less attractive and the buyer skeptical of other maintenance. OEM makers put their best foot forward on their paint and usually offer it at a great price to keep their products looking nice. Plus they make it proprietary in that it's an exact color that is difficult to easily copy.

Here's an example of the correct factory acrylic enamel --Orange II--paint on an insignificant item like a bucket. Look at the pop of the color and the beauty of the real McCoy.

IMG_5385.JPG IMG_5387.JPG IMG_5386.JPG

How about a wheel or center?

IMG_5174.JPG IMG_5677.JPG

That was with a spray gun. How about a rattle can on a front axle touch up? Tractor sat outside for 14 years.

IMG_5107.JPG IMG_5110.JPG

Remember, for many years I tried the alternate of Rustoleum or whatever I could get so I'm not being critical but just trying to show what has worked for me. I still use a Rustoleum color on a dirt engaging implement sometimes just because I have it or it's easier. But even then, here's the correct OEM paint on an old harrow. Look at that red pop.

IMG_2411.JPG IMG_2342.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2404.JPG
    IMG_2404.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 366
   / Paint..Orange vs. Orange 2 #7  
Sixdogs. I surely 100 percent agree with your post. It is way to much work on the prep to not go with the correct high quality paint. I went with the Kubota paint and hardener when I painted my implements to match my new B2650.20151123_103649.jpg20151130_101654 (450x800).jpg20160403_090737.jpg

/ Paint..Orange vs. Orange 2 #8  
Are the bulk items a better match than the rattle cans? I used the rattle cans on some items for the new 4060 and they don't come close to matching. And yes, they are the "new" orange.

/ Paint..Orange vs. Orange 2 #9  
Are the bulk items a better match than the rattle cans? I used the rattle cans on some items for the new 4060 and they don't come close to matching. And yes, they are the "new" orange.

I have used the Kubota new orange rattle cans and quarts mixed for HVLP gun and they are both the same and a perfect match to my B2650. I used the rattle cans to touch up the hooks on my bucket and you can see it is a perfect match. Not sure why it is not for you if it is a new tracator and not faded.

/ Paint..Orange vs. Orange 2
SO,,,how much does the OEM paint cost? I know the prices vary from region to region,,even from dealer to dealer.
Just curious as to what folks are paying, so I can watch out for the "gougers". :) I get "sticker shock" just looking at the prices for "name brand" rattle cans. :)
Thanks for the replies,,, Gary