What is correct way to drive an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle shift?

/ What is correct way to drive an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle shift? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I'm not sure I understand the correct way to operate the hydraulic shuttle shift. The owner's manual doesn't say much.

I know if I'm going slow, like in first or second gear, I can shift F-R with no clutch. I got that. But, am I supposed to let off the pedal, to get the idle way down, and then do that shift from F to R? In other words, to not shift under load? That's what I figure is right.

If I'm backing out of the barn in a higher gear such as 5th (out of 8) can I hyd shuttle shift to neutral, wait a moment and then shift to F? Or should I be in one of the first one or two lowest gears?

Can I have the tractor idling in hyd shuttle neutral and then, without clutching, shift to F or R or do I wait until after I am moving?

Thanks in advance for any info.

/ What is correct way to drive an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle shift? #2  
I have a different tractor but also have an 8x8 hydraulic shuttle. I generally do most my shuttle work in gears 1 through 5. However, I don't think it should hurt it to use the shuttle in any gear. You would use a dry clutch to start in any gear and the shuttle should be able to handle more abuse without heating up because it utilizes multiple plate wet clutches.

Like any clutch, the less you ask of it the longer it lasts. So a lot of guys take their foot off the throttle for the shuttle shift so that it shifts at idle and slips the clutches less. Also may want to wait until you are stopped or use the brakes to stop before engaging the hydraulic shuttle in the opposite direction. But it wont hurt it to put it in forward before you completely stop going backwards or visa vera.

/ What is correct way to drive an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle shift? #3  
I own a M7040 with cab bought new in 2013. Now has about 300 hrs.
In general, I use the shuttle like you do.
It does not have magic powers. Imagine not having the shuttle and just shifting F to R with the clutch, dont ask the shuttle to do something you would not do if operating on your own.
I always lower engine speed to reduce the amount the clutch will slip as it engages. Sure it is a multi plate operating in oil but like a motorcycle clutch, if it slips too much due to how you use the motorcycle clutch lever while trying to drive slowly in rough ground, the plates in the clutch will heat up, expand and then lock the clutch up and you have no control.

My driving habits dont lead me to use the shuttle starting from rest. I cannot say it is wrong just that I dont do it.
Any damage to the clutch/transmission is going to be painfully costly and I try to err on the side of caution in how I use it.

Dave M7040

/ What is correct way to drive an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle shift? #4  
I have a different tractor but also have an 8x8 hydraulic shuttle. I generally do most my shuttle work in gears 1 through 5. However, I don't think it should hurt it to use the shuttle in any gear. You would use a dry clutch to start in any gear and the shuttle should be able to handle more abuse without heating up because it utilizes multiple plate wet clutches.

Hyd shuttle on a Kubota such as a M7040 doesn't have a dry clutch that one disengages when depressing foot pedal. It does has a dry damper clutch plate that stays engaged all the time to engine flywheel. I utilize my '11 M7040 to handle rd bales and shift it at lower engine rpm's in gears 1-5 while loading/unloading 18 wheelers. Shift from fwd to reverse & vice-verse is modulated. Sometimes I utilize foot pedal which BTW is attached to hyd valve sometimes I don't. I handled several 100's probably 1000's of rd bales with no problems so far with nearly 1400 hrs on tachometer

/ What is correct way to drive an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle shift? #5  
My 2009 Kubota M6040 is hydraulic shuttle. The thought of having tranny problems/repairs is frightening, to me. After the tractor has warmed up enough that the needle has moved part way to totally warm I will move out. I never put the tractor under load, other than simply moving it, until its fully warmed.

Changing the range from Hi to Lo, or vice/versa, always requires that you come to a full stop and have the clutch depressed

I use the clutch when changing gears - 1 thru 4, you do not have to slow down when up shifting - I always slow down if down shifting

Forward/reverse - some times I use the clutch - some times not. I will alway come to a complete stop, however, when changing direction. I will put the F/R selector in neutral or depress the clutch and let the tractor come to a complete stop - either thru loss of momentum or with the assist of the brakes. My OP manual says you can change direction with the F/R selector, on the go, if you are going slow. Its my choice to come to a complete stop.

A lot of times I will leave the selector in either F or R, use the clutch and ease up to something - just like you would do in a manual shift auto.

When I pull out the carport I'm in 1st gear - Hi range. Or, I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear if in Lo range. From a dead stop - like being parked in the carport - I will have the F/R selector in neutral, the range selector in HI, the gear selector in 1st - depress the clutch - move the F/R selector to F and ease out on the clutch. Again, just like on a manual shift auto.

My previous tractor was gear drive and old habits die hard.

Last edited:
   / What is correct way to drive an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle shift? #6  
All these posts are good advice. My experience was with a John Deere "power reverser" which is the same thing. Bottom line is you CAN throw it forward to reverse or reverse to forward anytime. Should you is a whole different thing. I think if you gain the habit of throwing the reverser at lower speeds and lower loads you are obviously taking it easier on your equipment and extending the life of it. I often braked a little to ease the transition -- depends what you are doing and what feels to you like a violent change. Automatic built -in mechanisms protect you from truly catastrophic lurching. What gear you are in & all that does not matter.

/ What is correct way to drive an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle shift? #7  
I never shuttle under throttle, always at engine idle speed.

You can shift trans speeds without the foot clutch, on the go, simply by bumping the shuttle to neutral. Friend of mine has an M8540 and has left leg limitations and does it all the time.

I believe my M9540 system to be much more durable and strong than my operations require. I use my tractor hard. I try to never abuse it.

/ What is correct way to drive an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle shift?
So if I'm, let's say doing loader work and rolling backwards just a little bit it's OK to shift the shuttle into neutral, pause a tad and then shift into forward while it's still going backwards just a whisker?

/ What is correct way to drive an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle shift? #9  
So if I'm, let's say doing loader work and rolling backwards just a little bit it's OK to shift the shuttle into neutral, pause a tad and then shift into forward while it's still going backwards just a whisker?

Yes. If I'm in a hurry I'll incorporate the brakes into the operation to speed up the stop and not make the shuttle hydraulically stop the tractor and then restart it in another direction. Just like shifting your truck from R to D while it's moving.

/ What is correct way to drive an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle shift? #10  
As Richard mentioned, I never use the foot clutch, I drove a Case CX80 sync shuttle-shift for over ten years and had to clutch and brake with my right foot and in steep hills and boy was I glad to get to buy a hydraulic shuttle.

However, I do routinely shift F/R at 540 RPM while using our ten foot rotary cutter, lots of direction changes on our dams. I'm not recommending this, but I made sure to check with the man that delivered it and later with the shop foreman. It may well accelerate wear, but I can live it.

I really like the hydraulic shift, but it takes a while to acclimate to it especially if you still drive other types which I don't.