Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040HDC

Default Gooseneck Trailer for m7040

Looking for a goose to hull my tractor between TN and MD. With implements and wet I'm just under 10K. The deck overs I've looked at appear a bit beefier than their between the wheel brethren. My bucket is 84" but don't see that as much of a problem. I like the axle placement of a between the wheel better than the other. Anyway, what has been the experience towing for those with mid sized tractors?

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Default Re: Gooseneck Trailer for m7040

What truck do you have to pull with?

And what implements do you plan on towing with the tractor? How wide and long are they?

I have a little smaller MX5100 that I tow on a 25' deck-over. When I tow it with the bushhog and loader both on, it takes up every bit of my 25' trailer, with no room for an additional implement if I wanted. Also, the mower is a 8' twin spindle mower. So takes up the full width of the trailer, and having a drop-deck trailer instead of a deck over.....would cause me issues.

I'd want something at least 30', and a deck over if I was in your shoes. A 14k trailer might be cutting it close by the time you add in the trailer weight. I think the make some 16k trailers that still only have 4 tires. 16k, deckover, 30' would be about ideal.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

MX5100 DIY Remotes
    MX5100 Diverter install
    Front Snow Plow Install

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota MX5100HST w/LA844
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    M 9540 Kubota

Carl don't short yourself with a "just enough" trailer, esp. for long out of state trips.
    There is a big jump in trlr. GVW between a 2 axle/single wheel 14k trailer to "the next size". That moves you into dual's on 2 axles and usually 10k rating on each axle. And don't forget the tire ply rating.
    Get the later with a 24'-25' flat with a 5' dovetail and don't look back. Skip even looking at a deck between the wheels.

Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
    Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyiron View Post
    Carl don't short yourself with a "just enough" trailer, esp. for long out of state trips.
    There is a big jump in trlr. GVW between a 2 axle/single wheel 14k trailer to "the next size". That moves you into dual's on 2 axles and usually 10k rating on each axle. And don't forget the tire ply rating.
    Get the later with a 24'-25' flat with a 5' dovetail and don't look back. Skip even looking at a deck between the wheels.
    I have a 16k with single wheels rated at 7k per axle. I have a 28' deck over with 5' dovetails that I used for hauling state top state. I can put about 10,000 over the axles if I recall. For smaller trips I would probably get a 24' just because it is easier to maneuver. But I like the gross weight rating.
    JD 3720 with R4s and bulldozer capabilities.
    X740

12 Millimeter = 1/2"
    100 Millimeter = 4"
    1 Meter = 40"
    1 Kilometer = 3300' or 5:8 ratio

Tractor
    Kubota L4060 HST, FEL; Kubota BX2660

I have owned both styles to move my tractors and my antique trucks. My low boy (deck between the axles) had a 16,400 lb. gvw with a 24' deck including a 4' dovetail. It was tandem with single 14 ply 17.5" tires. It worked adequately after I changed the brakes out to hydraulic discs.

I upgraded to a 32' hydraulic dovetail that grosses 22,500 pounds that has tandem dual wheels, is a "low pro" model (deck framing dropped down into the frame), and is factory equipped with disc brakes. I am much happier with this trailer because it is so much easier to load/unload, it tracks better without as much chucking, and it brakes better. I was concerned about raising the load up another few inches, but after towing with it I cannot tell the difference, mostly because IMO, it has the dual wheels.

I paid right around $6500 for the low boy brand new and then put another $1500 into the brake upgrade. The trailer was a Kaufman and if you look at their products I would pay close attention to the axles they use to see if the components match the weight rating. The deck over is a PJ that I found lightly used for $10K. ($16.7K new) It is a very well built trailer that uses quality components.

I believe either style would work for you, but I would go with a 30 or 32 foot deck over equipped with tandem duals and disc brakes if I were you. If you can swing the extra bucks I would also recommend the hydraulic dovetail as it makes life a lot easier.
    Grand L4060 HSTC w/ FEL; QA Pallet Forks w/ home made grapple; 6' tiller, 5' JD Bush Hog; 5' Box blade; 6' Landscape rake; Yard Maker; Danhauser PH Digger w/ 8", 12", 24" bits; Jacobson core plug aerator; 8 1/2' Meyers snow plow.

BX2660; 60" MMM; Loader

Tractor
    MF 2660 LP, Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by carlhwv View Post
    Looking for a goose to hull my tractor between TN and MD. With implements and wet I'm just under 10K. The deck overs I've looked at appear a bit beefier than their between the wheel brethren. My bucket is 84" but don't see that as much of a problem. I like the axle placement of a between the wheel better than the other. Anyway, what has been the experience towing for those with mid sized tractors?
    Several quick comments: If you are already setup for a goose they are great and essentially prevent any concern about fishtailing. I'm not set up for 5th wheel. Not sure what you pull with. My MF2660 is a bit heavier than your 7040 and I have been very happy with a Pequea 1018 deckover. It is 21ft with a mild beavertail. Sometimes I haul a 7ft bushhog plus the tractor and that uses all of my trailer length and then some. My bucket weighs 1000lbs. My tires will not fit between the wheels/fenders of any trailers I found. The deck-over leaves you a lot more flexible loading and putting unexpected "stuff" on the trailer. From what you describe I see no need for a dual-wheel trailer. Seems like awkward overkill to me. The twin axle Pequea (and many competitors) have 10, 12 and 14,000 GVW versions. Lookout as some of the larger ones get you into both insurance and licensing issues I did not want. Note that PA regs call for brakes on both axles where some states do not. Be sure to get jackstands for the rear to avoid wheelies while loading (though that may be avoided using a goose?) I've been totally happy with the deck-over Pequea. Well made, reliable, easy to use.
    jwr
    ------------------------------------------------------
    MF2660 LowProfile, 7', 5' and 4' BushHogs, Orsi Articulated boom hydraulic rotary cutter, Landpride 6' finish mower, Kubota BX2200, Two Kubota B2150's, 5' snowblower, 6' blade, scraper box, Gravely 1983 w/sulky, mower & snow blower, misc. attachments. Pequea 1018 deckover trailer, half interest in Massey Harris Pacer family heirloom... and a lot of junk...

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

Deckover, dual wheel. Then when you blow that tire hauling butt down the hiway it's only a minor inconvenience versus a potential catastrophy.
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Tractor
    M 9540 Kubota

Quote Originally Posted by ovrszd View Post
    Deckover, dual wheel. Then when you blow that tire hauling butt down the hiway it's only a minor inconvenience versus a potential catastrophy.
    ….pretty much my thinking also, especially for trips from MD to TN.
    I have such a trailer, but for "around town" use, I've been looking for a nice heavy deck over single wheel d/a bumper pull.

Tractor
    Kubota L4060 HST, FEL; Kubota BX2660

Then when you blow that tire hauling butt down the hiway it's only a minor inconvenience versus a potential catastrophy.
    No matter which style you buy spend the money on a good set of tire pressure monitors for the trailer. Better to keep from having a blow out than it is to deal with one.

And as I said earlier; get disc brakes, especially if you are going to be hauling 10K plus at highway speeds. Also keep in mind that the number of tires not only change the weight carrying capacity but also dictate how well it brakes.
    Grand L4060 HSTC w/ FEL; QA Pallet Forks w/ home made grapple; 6' tiller, 5' JD Bush Hog; 5' Box blade; 6' Landscape rake; Yard Maker; Danhauser PH Digger w/ 8", 12", 24" bits; Jacobson core plug aerator; 8 1/2' Meyers snow plow.

BX2660; 60" MMM; Loader

Tractor
    Kubota M7040HDC

Thanks for all of the great replies. Everyone has given me much to consider. I'm towing with a F350 SRW and have about 3500lbs available for pin weight. My main consideration for a tandem axle with duals is being able to position the load on the trailer axle to keep weight out of the bed. If I can achieve this, I think the argument is good for going that way. I like the idea of the extra tires and the support they provide. If I do go with single wheels I will put the best tires and breaks along with tpms. Some of the better single wheel deck over with 17.5 wheels look over built for their 17k gvw and would probably be my choice if I go that route. The Bwise and Belmont plants are right up the road and they both make what look like solid units.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast