BX Fuel Filters, 2 or 3?

/ BX Fuel Filters, 2 or 3? #1  

Byrdnyrd

Silver Member
Plymouth MA (where they burned the Witches)
Tractor
BX2370 60" MMM with bagger, BX5450 Front mount Blower, soft cab, 48" Brush hog, Several Gravely's, Lots of Land Rovers, Best wife EVER!!
Hey Guys,
While doing the Summer to Winter changeover today, I decided to change fluids. I changed the oil and filter and then went to change the fuel filters. In the past I've changed 2 Fuel Filters, both plastic. One is easily accessible on the left side of the machine ( engine cover removed of course ) the other is tucked up near the hydraulic cooling fan. But today I noticed a metal filter between the two plastic Filters, why is it that I've never heard of anyone replacing that one??
So to be clear, going from the tank under the seat to the engine it goes: Plastic, metal, plastic.

Should the metal one be changed? Does anyone have a part number?

Cheers,
Paul

/ BX Fuel Filters, 2 or 3? #2  
Hey Guys,
While doing the Summer to Winter changeover today, I decided to change fluids. I changed the oil and filter and then went to change the fuel filters. In the past I've changed 2 Fuel Filters, both plastic. One is easily accessible on the left side of the machine ( engine cover removed of course ) the other is tucked up near the hydraulic cooling fan. But today I noticed a metal filter between the two plastic Filters, why is it that I've never heard of anyone replacing that one??
So to be clear, going from the tank under the seat to the engine it goes: Plastic, metal, plastic.

Should the metal one be changed? Does anyone have a part number?

Cheers,
Paul

Pretty sure that metal one has a wire to it. If so, that's the preliminary fuel pump, not a filter. It's what you hear clicking when you only turn the key, but don't start it.

/ BX Fuel Filters, 2 or 3? #3  
Pretty sure that metal one has a wire to it. If so, that's the preliminary fuel pump, not a filter. It's what you hear clicking when you only turn the key, but don't start it.

Yeah, I made the same mistake the first time I got under there. It looks like a filter, but then there's that wire....

I scratched my head a minute, then felt dumb. :laughing:

/ BX Fuel Filters, 2 or 3? #4  
That is the electric lift pump, do not harm, they are not cheap.

I removed the upper inline filter and plumbed in a later B series filter with water trap.

David

/ BX Fuel Filters, 2 or 3? #5  
There is a thread here somewhere about replacing the first filter with a cartridge type water separating bowl filter. On my zd326 I had the same two filters in series, and replaced the first with a 2u large spin on filter. My 4060 has a different filter setup, but liking the idea of 2u filtration, I am going to add one after the tank also.

/ BX Fuel Filters, 2 or 3? #6  
There is a thread here somewhere about replacing the first filter with a cartridge type water separating bowl filter. On my zd326 I had the same two filters in series, and replaced the first with a 2u large spin on filter. My 4060 has a different filter setup, but liking the idea of 2u filtration, I am going to add one after the tank also.

With a loader

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/268153-adding-spin-racor-filter-bx25.html

Without a Loader, Post 75

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/257252-bx2360-upgrades-2.html

/ BX Fuel Filters, 2 or 3? #7  
Nope... that metal one is not a filter. Leave that alone.

/ BX Fuel Filters, 2 or 3? #8  
Get a couple extra fuel filters to keep on hand if you don't do the upgrade.