New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems....

/ New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems.... #1  

dieselbob69

Gold Member
Tractor
'21 Kubota BX2380
:D Today I took delivery of a new 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/ MMM & FEL. I am hopeful this is last mower I need to buy(I thought that w/ the new '07 GR2100 I bought:rolleyes:). This replaces a 2012 Cub Cadet GTX2000 I bought new in 2014,which I recently sold(I have thread in Cub Cadet section on that one)-it was an ok mower,but I hated it. I was on my way to look at Kubota and John Deere machines last Saturday, and went by the Kubota dealer first. I looked outside-they had a used g2160,BX1870,and a TG 1860(diesel version)-went inside to get some prices on those,but noticed a BX1870 on the floor. Tagged at $12,700,plus 0% financing. Mind you,I had already got a price on a Yanmar 221 leftover w/60" deck and FEL for close to $15k financed(or $11,495 cash deal only), and John Deere 1023R w/54" autoconnect deck and FEL about $16k,so the pricing was great IMO. I ended up adding LED kit for the rear and LED headlights,$300 extra. Machine was delivered today,1 hr on it. Put up the ROPS,and drove around yard. I went to back into garage-whoops-forgot about the ROPS- put a nice dent in the trim metal around the garage door:rolleyes:-flipped it down,then backed in garage. One thing I noticed when it was delivered-seems to be a really high idle-1400-1500rpms.The guy who delivered it said that's how they are. The only complaint so far is that they never checked the manuals in plastic under seat. There was no loader manual,but 2 rotary mower manuals,so I need to get a loader manual next week.I'm debating on getting a ballast box for it-the Kubota one is $250,then they have a little heavier duty black one w/ a 2" receiver hitch tube coming out the back for $300. I'll see how it does whenever we do get a heavy snow. Now I just need to clear a space for it in the garage other than where I park my car:cool:......

/ New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems.... #2  
Sounds great dieslebob! Yeah I have a scar on my garage trim too from the first time I brought it inside. So far it has only taken once to learn my lesson.

I don't use mine for mowing but get a heck of a lot use out of both ends of my BX. I'm no professional but in my relatively short time as a tractor owner, I have yet to understand 'investing' in a ballast box vs. getting an implement for the back end (double duty) that does something other than provide dead weight.

/ New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems.... #3  
Make sure you check ALL of your fluids including the front axle oil. You may find your front axle is low. Most BX tractors have low oil in the front axle when new.

/ New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems.... #4  
Don't feel bad... I took my last B2620 to disperse about 22 yards of mulch for a friend. Loader on, ROPS up. Came home, in a rush to leave for an appointment.... forgot ROPS was up, BANG! Told the DW I need to stop doing favors for friends.

Get the ballast. In the winter with a loader on, you'll want it if your tires are unloaded. If you have use for the 2" receiver, get that one for $50 more. I don't think that one is a Kubota ballast. I had to add one to mine. When filling yours, put some PVC pipe in vertically with caps on. Then, you can put rakes and shovels in when working.

/ New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems.... #5  
You probably won't need ballast for snow but for anything heavier it's almost mandatory. Nice machine, enjoy.

/ New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems.... #7  
I'm debating on getting a ballast box for it-the Kubota one is $250,then they have a little heavier duty black one w/ a 2" receiver hitch tube coming out the back for $300.

Do not use the FEL without some type of ballast -- either a ballast box or a heavy TPH implement. Using the FEL without a counterbalance puts enormous strain on the front axle and furthermore can increase the likelihood of overturning the tractor.

wrooster

/ New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems.... #8  
I have an BX1870 with 80 hours on it since April. Love it! Gearing up for snowplowing. I got a hitch cargo carrier and I was thinking of adding driveway salt & sand for weight. I have a inclined driveway so I probably need chains. Any suggestions on IMG_1091.JPGwhere I should get tire chains?

/ New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems....
I have an BX1870 with 80 hours on it since April. Love it! Gearing up for snowplowing. I got a hitch cargo carrier and I was thinking of adding driveway salt & sand for weight. I have a inclined driveway so I probably need chains. Any suggestions on View attachment 490614where I should get tire chains?
Check on craigslist,just make sure you measure your tire if you do that.Otherwise,I'd either check eBay or Amazon for them.

/ New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems.... #10  
Sounds great dieslebob! Yeah I have a scar on my garage trim too from the first time I brought it inside. So far it has only taken once to learn my lesson.

I don't use mine for mowing but get a heck of a lot use out of both ends of my BX. I'm no professional but in my relatively short time as a tractor owner, I have yet to understand 'investing' in a ballast box vs. getting an implement for the back end (double duty) that does something other than provide dead weight.

Make sure you check ALL of your fluids including the front axle oil. You may find your front axle is low. Most BX tractors have low oil in the front axle when new.

Box Blades make great ballast and are very useful implements!!

Do not use the FEL without some type of ballast -- either a ballast box or a heavy TPH implement. Using the FEL without a counterbalance puts enormous strain on the front axle and furthermore can increase the likelihood of overturning the tractor.

wrooster

I have an BX1870 with 80 hours on it since April. Love it! Gearing up for snowplowing. I got a hitch cargo carrier and I was thinking of adding driveway salt & sand for weight. I have a inclined driveway so I probably need chains. Any suggestions on View attachment 490614where I should get tire chains?

I to agree you need ballast if you use the FEL and I agree that the boxblade is a great usable ballast. Had never thought about the carrier that fits into a reese hitch which can be added with bar and reese hitch adapter fairly cheap. The fluid in front drive settles after dealer delivery so check it for the first few weeks after use and top off when/ifit drops.
I bought my first and last life time mower 12 years ago with the high priced wheelbarrow on the front BX2200 FEL MMM. I've bought/traded/sold over 20 Kubotas since my first and only one.:D:laughing: My entrance into the tractor world was eye opening with the discovery of how much the little mower would do with the thing on front!!! I later decided I needed more ground clearance and went up in size, not better, just bigger, B7800 FEL and bought a new BX1500 MMM for mowing. The rest is history. I did go up to a L3240 and it was to big for my hillside 5 acres and scary that high off the ground so almost immediately went back to a B3200. Several more BXs and Bs since and Fs and Zs and RTv.