3-Point Hitch BX Rear Implement Shaft Issues

/ BX Rear Implement Shaft Issues #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
I put my B2789 rear-mount blower on my BX this weekend to test and cut the driveshaft. I noticed that in the highest lift position, which I can't guarantee I won't reach when snow blowing, the lobe on the blower coupler at the tractor hits the lower link stabilizer brackets where attached to the plate below the PTO.
Has anyone had this issue? What can I do in regards to the shaft guard cup at the tractor PTO? It looks like the cup is too large, and is causing the plate where the stabilizers attach to ride up closer to the shaft. I always thought it best to leave the shaft guard, but on the BX with everything so tight and compact, I don't think standard implements always fit.
Any help is appreciated. IMG_5514.JPG

/ BX Rear Implement Shaft Issues
Surprised in 110+ views no one has had this issue. Looks like the coupler that joins the tractor is the culprit. Actually could use one like the mower deck has with a slave that is pulled back to unlock. This one has the massive coupler with an asymmetrical lobe hanging off one side that hits the telescoping stabilizers.

/ BX Rear Implement Shaft Issues #3  
Surprised in 110+ views no one has had this issue. Looks like the coupler that joins the tractor is the culprit. Actually could use one like the mower deck has with a slave that is pulled back to unlock. This one has the massive coupler with an asymmetrical lobe hanging off one side that hits the telescoping stabilizers.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Mine fits perfectly on my BX5. Also, I cannot decipher your photo. Sorry.

No problem. The coupler that attaches to the tractor has such a large lobe off the side it THAT when the coupler rotates, it hits the plate on the tractor where the stabilizers attach. This is only when the blower is lifted to its highest position on the 3pt.
This model blower is made for the BX or B series, so I'm surprised that I cannot lift my blower up as high as it will go while running, or the spinning coupler will bind on the plate between the lift arms and either bend the output shaft or something else.

/ BX Rear Implement Shaft Issues #6  
Yes maybe a side view showing snowblower in up position and angle that driveshaft makes so we can orient ourselves.
I do find that if I raise the rear snowblower I have it starts making much more driveshaft noise so I don't raise it more than necessary when shaft is turning.

I uploaded some additional pics I had taken before. You can see the lobe of the coupler hitting the plate the stabilizers are attached to. The other thing, which I believe is the issue, is the massive coupler shroud that is deformed from hitting the plate, too. I think I may trim the shroud and see if it helps. Tonight I attached the shaft alone, to study it, but had to pick up the daughter before I could really see what else I need to do. If I cut the bottom off the coupler shroud, the anti-rotation chain should keep the shroud positioned to protect the coupler.IMG_5513.JPGIMG_5515.JPG

/ BX Rear Implement Shaft Issues #8  
From the pictures you seem to have the same three point setup as my 2008 Bx2660. I also have the same stabilizer bars that I bought after market to replace the turnbuckle type . And it looks like yours is installed the same way on to the plate that hang loose from a 9 or 10 inch horizontal bolt/pin. So the only thing I see awkward is the very big size of the lobe on your driveshaft. None of the equipment I have ( snowblower, woodchipper, rototiller , bushhog, rear finish lawnmower,) have a driveshaft with that big a lobe on it. Is it feasible to reverse your driveshaft if the other end does not have the large lobe , and try it that way to see if it still interferes with threepoint stabilizer plate ?
(I am not sure if it is okay to reverse a driveshaft (end to end) , so welcome others comments on that . But I will say that all my equipment listed will start to make driveline noise if I lift them fully while shaft turning . .... and your snowblower should not need lifting more than a maybe ten inches during normal snowblowing activities, and I get lots of snow and drifts. (the picture is before I had the turnbuckles replaced) but shows size of snowblower that driveline works for me.

Attachments

• DSCN1414.JPG
    DSCN1414.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 129
   / BX Rear Implement Shaft Issues #9  
I've used at least two attachments (post hole auger and fertilizer spreader), with pto collars like that had no clearance problems with the factory turnbuckle setup on my BX, even though fully raising either attachment put the pto shaft at a pretty extreme angle. I'm guessing you've found possibly the only drawback to swapping out the OEM turnbuckle setup for the aftermarket stabilizer links on a BX.

/ BX Rear Implement Shaft Issues #10  
I uploaded some additional pics I had taken before. You can see the lobe of the coupler hitting the plate the stabilizers are attached to. The other thing, which I believe is the issue, is the massive coupler shroud that is deformed from hitting the plate, too. I think I may trim the shroud and see if it helps. Tonight I attached the shaft alone, to study it, but had to pick up the daughter before I could really see what else I need to do. If I cut the bottom off the coupler shroud, the anti-rotation chain should keep the shroud positioned to protect the coupler.View attachment 489991View attachment 489992

OK, I see the problem. I don't have that problem, and I have the exact same blower on my BX25. The reason is that I have the original stabilizers that came with the tractor back in 2008, which have a much smaller connection piece. (Just a u-shaped thing, about as thick as a pencil.) Also, I agree that maybe the end of your PTO shaft looks very bulky. Is there another one you can buy that is a little more compact at the connection end, or maybe like wawajake says, reverse it? It could even be on backwards right now!