Need a lesson on the BX25 and similar sizes

/ Need a lesson on the BX25 and similar sizes #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
The BX25D really has caught my eye, mostly from viewing threads here. I feel I need to know more and how it compares with slightly bigger and slightly smaller models. Are those a better deal? I know almost nothing about B's or BX's other than having a larger B7800 (that I really like). I don't want TIER IV so I either have to buy used or a model under the emissions threshold.

I can guess why the BX25 is so popular because it works hard and is priced right. But is the BX2670 better? Does putting a package together with a backhoe and loader make the BX25 a far better deal? Would a B, for example, offer advantages over the BX25?

The smallest tractor I know much about is my B7800 and I like it a lot. On one hand I wonder if would be happier just getting a loader and backhoe for that rather than thinking about a BX25D? That would probably cost $9,000 or so? My uses would just be around a rural home and all that comes with it. I'm not building any roads; just household stuff, digging a small stump or planting things.

Just looking for an education so any info is welcome and appreciated.

/ Need a lesson on the BX25 and similar sizes #2  
A BX 2670 is really the same just with a larger engine. I don't think you can get the factory backhoe on it though. I think its hard to beat the price of the BX with the factory backhoe. I think the smaller B models aren't that much more money but by the time you add a backhoe, I think it ends up being more money.

BX's are pretty small but you can still do a lot of work with one. They also make pretty decent mowers. A B will do more work and has larger tires, but based on what you described, a BX sounds like it would work.

/ Need a lesson on the BX25 and similar sizes #3  
I call my BX25 my swiss army knife because it does so many things. The BX25 was designed for the backhoe and it isn't just an add-on. I have put in 300' of sewer line with no problems at all right after I bought mine. It could use some more weight as the hoe will pull it around when digging a stump ,but it will do the job eventually. It sits a little low so really rough terrain is something you have to watch but it sounds like the things you want to use it for all fall into its talents.

/ Need a lesson on the BX25 and similar sizes #4  
I've had three B's and two BX's. My current is s BX2670. While I salivate over the thought of a BX25, I quickly remind myself that the hoe will be the most expensive ballast I could buy, and will collect more dust after initial projects are wiped out than dirt that'll collect on the bucket. I can rent a small track hoe with substantially more capacity for the three times I could really use it for a project other than setting an arborvitae. If you are like me and will use the BX for dedicated mowing and easy quick on/off loader work, the hoe will become a pain putting it on/off between mowing. You might be better off to bank those hoe jobs and rent a unit once a year. I think you'll find that while we all could use a hoe, it is the toothpick in the Swiss Army knife that is rarely used for that simple bush dig we thought we'd use it for.

/ Need a lesson on the BX25 and similar sizes
I didn't realize the BX2670 was the same as the BX25 but with a bigger engine. Good to know. It sounds like the BX25 is the one to own. Does it escape the emissions stuff?

/ Need a lesson on the BX25 and similar sizes #6  
I have put in 300' of sewer line with no problems at all right after I bought mine.

I just did about 1000' of French drain, which is why I bought it. Heavy clay soil, and through a neighbor's driveway, including ripping out an old 10" culvert. I'm quite sure a bigger machine would have been faster, but it got the job done, with complete newbies at the controls (my sons and me).

I have other projects to do, including grading and trenching. I'm sure any pro would tell me it's too small for the jobs I have in mind, but I don't expect to have any problems other than it taking longer than a pro could afford to take.

When it's all done, I plan to sell it. It's overkill for a 1 acre property. Based on prices I see around me, I expect to get a good chunk of my money back.

Hope that helps.

/ Need a lesson on the BX25 and similar sizes #7  
I have a BX 24 , It has done everything I ask and more

/ Need a lesson on the BX25 and similar sizes #8  
You probably do not want a loader on a tractor without power steering.

BX series has only 9" ground clearance. If you will be doing woods work, 9" is not enough.

/ Need a lesson on the BX25 and similar sizes #9  
The reason I got the BX25 back in the Fall of 2008 is BECAUSE it had the backhoe, and so it was a complete TLB, for a very reasonable price. In fact, I believe it was the only SCUT built tough enough for construction at the time. (Note the reinforced frame.)

I have done all kinds of things with it, including digging a trench through rock infested soil. The only frustration I have is the limit to the lifting capacity of the FEL, but even if I had a bigger tractor, I would still be frustrated with the capacity of the FEL, because it would just make me try and lift more stuff. Also, bxpanded.com has a lovely list of accessories that you can get, including a bucket expander that DOUBLES the heaped capacity of the FEL. (Great for snow.). Definitely check out that website if you're going to get a BX25. Also, check out the features of the new BX23S, which is what the BX25 has morphed into. There is a huge list of improvements that have a number of TBNers drooling.

Good luck with your search and do keep us posted!

/ Need a lesson on the BX25 and similar sizes #10  
You probably do not want a loader on a tractor without power steering.

BX series has only 9" ground clearance. If you will be doing woods work, 9" is not enough.

That seems like and odd comment, in all my years at TBN never seen a BX owner with a loader have any problems with steering , so that comment is out of left field I think. As for clearance, yes could be better , but I have built ATV trails thru my 40 acres of bush and swamp, got firewood etc etc and clearance never a problem , I did put a plywood protection plate underneath to prevent large sticks from getting up into cooling fan . So just by being reasonable and using common sense one can easily work in the bush with that clearance.