Snow Loader float or not to float

/ Loader float or not to float #1  

garciajoe

Tractor
Ford 9N Kubota BX1850 B2650
I have a B2650 with this front blade mounted to the loader. Have the rear tires loaded with Rim Guard, and a ballast box at about 500 lbs. My problem is if I should use this blade with or without the loader in float mode. It seems if I'm in float mode the blade loader combination is too heavy, the shoes dig in, and the tractor is hard to control. When turning the front tires slide instead of turning. If I'm not in float mode, I have a hard time controlling the blades relationship to the ground. Do my operating skills suck or am I missing something. I'm plowing snow on level gravel driveway and trails in my timber. What do ya think?

/ Loader float or not to float #2  
I don't know anything about using a front blade, but maybe if you change the angle (with curl/dump function) it won't dig in as much?

/ Loader float or not to float #3  
I made a pair of "SKi Tips/Skids" which keeps the blade from digging in. Have no issues pushing snow on gravel in float mode!

Skid Powder Coated.jpg

20151210_054438.jpg

Friday Storm.jpg

EDIT...missed the "FEL mounted Plow Blade".

Last edited:
   / Loader float or not to float #4  
Can you post pics of the blade setup??

A snow blade usually "floats" separately from the framework. The moldboard usually hinges on two lower mounts and then a chain is used to lift it. This allows the blade to run on it's shoes carrying only it's own weight. A rigid blade setup relying on the FEL float will do as you say, too heavy, shoes dig in. Without FEL float it lifts with the grade change of the tractor and will either be gouging or in the air most of the time.

/ Loader float or not to float
IMG_1556.JPG

/ Loader float or not to float #7  
Try removing the ballast box. That will help load the front axel.

/ Loader float or not to float #8  
If you put your loader in float all that weight ends up on the blade. With that extra weight the blade will dig in way to much.

Normally a good plow will have a floating mount to keep it it from digging in. Also as a bucket or plow digs in the traction on the rears will lift the front axle off the ground if the loader is in float.

/ Loader float or not to float #9  
I have a B2650 with this front blade mounted to the loader. Have the rear tires loaded with Rim Guard, and a ballast box at about 500 lbs. My problem is if I should use this blade with or without the loader in float mode. It seems if I'm in float mode the blade loader combination is too heavy, the shoes dig in, and the tractor is hard to control. When turning the front tires slide instead of turning. If I'm not in float mode, I have a hard time controlling the blades relationship to the ground. Do my operating skills suck or am I missing something. I'm plowing snow on level gravel driveway and trails in my timber. What do ya think?

You are having typical loader mounted snow blade problems. I have posted about this several times on here and very few seem to get it. Mostly I am told it the operators fault. With a blade like you have, you have the weight of the blade and some of the weight of the loader riding on the skid shoes. That is a lot of weight for little skid shoes to carry. If you get a good hard freeze this problem will go away.

Now onto the steering problem. When you put the loader in float and start to pull forward, watch your front tires. They are being unloaded.

You are using the plow as it is marketed. To go gain steering pick the plow up just a hair the tractor is carrying it. The only problem with the carrying the plow is it requires constant adjustment to keep it from digging in on leaving a bunch of snow. Since you are plowing on the level this is your best option.

Most plows for the q/a like you have are mounted rigid. The only good thing I can think about this type of setup is you can use it with down pressure. I like idea of the plow that floats at the quick attach. Then you have the weight of the loader back on the tractor and you are not unloading the front end when you push snow.

Here is a plow that floats at the q/a. See how it has the chain to support it when raised. MEYER 7.5' SKID STEER BLADE | Toppers Plus

/ Loader float or not to float #10  
Here is my old plow... Welded a quick hitch to a SSQA plate as a mount. It pivots in the lift hooks & a chain goes to the top hook area so it can float. It worked well. Only reason I was glad to see it go was it meant I could replace it with one that had hydraulic angle on it. Revision 2 will try & be a bit more compact so it doesn't hang out as much, but will has a similar float range & setup.

Shared album - Devin Noel - Google Photos