Fuel to injector pump, but won't start. Solenoid and injector questions

/ Fuel to injector pump, but won't start. Solenoid and injector questions #1  

TemporaryKubotaOwnerMark

Veteran Member
Tractor
Gone
BX25D. Died, restarted, then died when parked and will not restart. The battery is good (I keep my charger on it while testing) and the motor spins over normally.

Fuel flow to injector pump is good. Plenty of flow. Verified by removing hose after the second filter and watching it while turning on key. The lift pump functions normally and both filters are new.

The solenoid clicks when the key is turned to the ON position, and again when it turns OFF. When the key is turned on, the solenoid is in the OUT position. When it is turned off, it retracts to the IN position and operates the lever on the injection pump. Then, after a few seconds, it extends again and turns to the OUT position. (See pictures below.)

This is the solenoid position when the tractor has not been running for a while, and when the key is turned to the ON position.
View attachment 493133

This is the solenoid when the key is first turned OFF.
View attachment 493132

It returns to the ON position about 10 seconds after the key is turned OFF.

Is this normal behavior?

Next questions. I cracked the lines to the injectors and turned it over. I got some seepage. How much is normal? What should I see?

/ Fuel to injector pump, but won't start. Solenoid and injector questions #2  
Its normal it returns to the on position a few seconds after it turns off. To me it seems you should get more than some seepage when trying to start it but I'm not sure.

/ Fuel to injector pump, but won't start. Solenoid and injector questions
Okay, thanks for that. Looks like it's probably not the solenoid, then.

Anyone else? How much fuel should come out of the injectors if I loosen their connections?

/ Fuel to injector pump, but won't start. Solenoid and injector questions #4  
Are you sure your fuel gauge is working?

/ Fuel to injector pump, but won't start. Solenoid and injector questions #5  
The fuel should be squirting out from the loosened lines.
If the solenoid is coming off of its stop completely, its working.
You could disconnect it entirely just t get it out of the system to diagnose the situation.
It sounds like the main control rack is stuck??
Is there an access plate to the rack on the side, just below the injection pump?
Remove it and see if the rack is moving when operating the shut-off lever..
Sometimes you can free them up by hand.. other times it requires pump removal and repair.
Good luck and keep us posted.

The fuel should be squirting out from the loosened lines..

Okay, I'll try that again. I actually had my son do this test, and perhaps he didn't loosen things enough, so I want to see for myself.

If the solenoid is coming off of its stop completely, its working.
You could disconnect it entirely just t get it out of the system to diagnose the situation..

I'll do that.

It sounds like the main control rack is stuck??
Is there an access plate to the rack on the side, just below the injection pump?
Remove it and see if the rack is moving when operating the shut-off lever...

Dunno anything about the inside of an injection pump. I'll take a look and see what I can see. I take it the control rack is a moving part that cuts off fuel in response to what the solenoid does?

Thanks for the help! :)

Well, I have no clue how to find the access plate, and not knowing anything about injection pumps, I don't want to start taking things apart blindly. So, I did a few basic tests. I'm starting to wonder if I have a glow plug problem. Please take a look at things and tell me what you think.

Here's what the exhaust looks like while cranking:

exhaust while cranking - YouTube

Here's the fuel coming out of the injector pipe when cranking.

injector seepage while cranking - YouTube

These are my glow plugs. Kinda sooty.... Is that normal? Voltage at the buss bar while the GPs are engaged is about 3 volts, so they are drawing significant current.

View attachment 493244

Here are each of the three glow plugs with power applied. Is this hot enough, fast enough? I know on my 6.2 they should get about white hot, so these dont't look hot enough to me, and they are pretty slow to heat up. The battery is at full charge and my charger/starter is hooked up, so they are getting full voltage. Anyone know the correct resistance for a good glow plug?

Glow plug 3 - YouTube

Glow plug 2 - YouTube

Glow plug 1 - YouTube

/ Fuel to injector pump, but won't start. Solenoid and injector questions #8  
Your still pumping air on the loosened injector line.. Loosen ALL the lines at once and compare the squirts.
The GP's are ok.
The voltage on the GP bar should be 8v or greater. You know it takes 15 sec to heat, so count over 15..
It sounds to me like its hitting on 2 cylinders and not on 1.. that might be your whole problem??
How about posting a vid of the inj. pump.. top & sides.
it looks like we're gonna have to talk you thru removal.

Okay, thanks for that. I'll hit it tomorrow and measure the voltage again at 15 seconds just to be sure. Their resistance will increase with heat, so I expect to see the voltage rise.

I'll get some pictures of the injector pump, and I'll see what happens with all of the injectors loose.

/ Fuel to injector pump, but won't start. Solenoid and injector questions #10  
Glow plugs won't keep it from running or cause it to bad.

Why did you change your fuel filters? How long after that did it run bad and not start?