Oil & Fuel L6060 First Oil Change

/ L6060 First Oil Change #1  

thompstl1

Tractor
kubota l6060
I decided to do my first oil change on the New L6060 today, even though it was a bit early (44.2 hours vs. 50). Also on the 50 hour list was a transmission filter change (I've got the HST ).

Very straightforward oil change; I installed a Wix oil filter number 51307 which is a direct replacement, and used Amsoil Premium 15w-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil. It´s expensive @ about $10.00/quart, but considering I'll change it once/year that seemed like a reasonable choice.

I had ordered a Wix transmission filter (57616) which was listed as a direct replacement for the L6060 HHTAO-59900 Kubota filter. However the Wix was about 1.5 longer than the OEM Kubota and I was worried the extra 1.5 might interfere with the fuel tank as it's a relatively close fit. So rather than take the OEM off, I think I'll stop by the Kubota store and buy the OEM filter and be sure it's the same length as the one that came on the Kubota. I'll change that filter next week sometime.

I've noticed my Kubota's engine is very quite on cold startup, and after maybe a minute or two, the engine will immediately make a change and become louder. In my mind, it's as if the turbo doesn't add compression until the engine warms up a bit, and then the turbo boost is added and the additional compression makes the engine louder. I know this happens every time, and it's very sudden and pronounced about 1-2 minutes after startup.

After changing to the Amsoil the engine is certainly quieter, but I'm anxious to note how it sounds in the morning on cold start up after it warms up a minute or two!

Not sure if any of this will help but if you order aftermarket Wix filters (as I have for years) be sure you check the length on the Transmission filter before ordering!

/ L6060 First Oil Change #2  
I did my 50h service on my L4060 back in September, using Amsoil 5w40 and Amsoil oil filter. Stayed with Kubota filter for the trans, since I have several left over from my previous tractor of the same part number.
When tractor shopping I was tempted to get a turbo, but the 4060 is really larger than what I need.
Enjoy your 6060 !

/ L6060 First Oil Change #3  
I performed the first service on my L6060 about a month ago.

I use nothing but Kubota filters and oil on my Kubota tractors because my dealer is only four miles away and gives me a bit of a break on parts, etc. The Kubota hydrostat filter is identical to the filter installed at the factory.

I found it annoying that one must remove the side screen to add oil but it's a small annoyance even though doing so requires a trip to the tool chest.

FWIW: If you do as I do and raise the FEL to get it out of the way while working on the tractor, be certain to raise it well above head level. I let mine drain overnight and the next day having forgotten about the FEL, I walked right into it at a rapid pace. Went straight to the floor and it bled for nearly 24 hours but nothing permanent.

SDT.

/ L6060 First Oil Change #4  
I've noticed my Kubota's engine is very quite on cold startup, and after maybe a minute or two, the engine will immediately make a change and become louder. In my mind, it's as if the turbo doesn't add compression until the engine warms up a bit, and then the turbo boost is added and the additional compression makes the engine louder. I know this happens every time, and it's very sudden and pronounced about 1-2 minutes after startup.

After changing to the Amsoil the engine is certainly quieter, but I'm anxious to note how it sounds in the morning on cold start up after it warms up a minute or two!

Not sure if any of this will help but if you order aftermarket Wix filters (as I have for years) be sure you check the length on the Transmission filter before ordering![/QUOTE]

The change in sound is the change in the timing. The computer will ****** the timing for startup then advance it as it warms up.

/ L6060 First Oil Change

Not sure if any of this will help but if you order aftermarket Wix filters (as I have for years) be sure you check the length on the Transmission filter before ordering!

The change in sound is the change in the timing. The computer will ****** the timing for startup then advance it as it warms up.[/QUOTE]

I've always associated "timing" with when the spark occurs at the spark plug. On a diesel, is timing when the fuel is injected?

/ L6060 First Oil Change #6  
I performed the first service on my L6060 about a month ago.

I use nothing but Kubota filters and oil on my Kubota tractors because my dealer is only four miles away and gives me a bit of a break on parts, etc. The Kubota hydrostat filter is identical to the filter installed at the factory.

I found it annoying that one must remove the side screen to add oil but it's a small annoyance even though doing so requires a trip to the tool chest.

FWIW: If you do as I do and raise the FEL to get it out of the way while working on the tractor, be certain to raise it well above head level. I let mine drain overnight and the next day having forgotten about the FEL, I walked right into it at a rapid pace. Went straight to the floor and it bled for nearly 24 hours but nothing permanent.

SDT.

That you can remember!!!! :D

/ L6060 First Oil Change #7  
I'm really curious, why risk that $14,000 engine to save $2.50? I get that legally Kubota can't deny a warranty claim if the filter meets OEM specs and trust me I've used a ton of Wix filters over the years in fleet applications where the cost savings were significant versus one tractor. Why risk the complications on the off chance that there's a problem?

/ L6060 First Oil Change
I'm really curious, why risk that $14,000 engine to save $2.50? I get that legally Kubota can't deny a warranty claim if the filter meets OEM specs and trust me I've used a ton of Wix filters over the years in fleet applications where the cost savings were significant versus one tractor. Why risk the complications on the off chance that there's a problem?

I didn't buy the Wix to save $2.50! I wouldn't spend $10 plus/quart on oil and then intentionally skimp on the filter. My belief (and admittedly I could be wrong) is the Wix is a premium filter that it's at least as good as, and likely better than the Kubota filter. I don't know who makes Kubota filters (pretty sure Kubota doesn't make them). I know Fram and other filter manufacturer's nowadays use some pretty low quality filter media. My belief is Wix uses premium materials. I felt the same way about the Amsoil vs the Kubota oil.

If anyone knows otherwise, I'm always open for improvement!

/ L6060 First Oil Change #9  
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that even though the Wix filter is as good as or possibly even better than the "Kubota" filter why complicate an unlikely but possible warranty claim.

/ L6060 First Oil Change
ahh, that's a really good point and honestly one I hadn't spent much time considering.

I read a long article about oil filters sold by the manufacturer of products (like Honda, or GM, etc.). The article said the filters they sell under the product name were often good solid filters, but not always. The report was in depth and talked about the products used on the non-drain back valves (silicon vs plastic for example) in many filters. My understanding is most manufacturers go out for bids for a filter and the filter manufacturer receiving the bid is based on balancing certain standards, and cost. I was focused only on getting what I hoped was the best quality filter that would fit on my Kubota.

Admittedly, that won't be of much value if I have an engine failure and a denied warranty claim.

Thanks for the perspective. I'll grind that in to my analysis and perhaps I'll get a Kubota filter.

Regards