Snow Front snow plow with hydraulic angle change question

/ Front snow plow with hydraulic angle change question #1  

Thirsty

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2230, L5460 FWD, HSTC
I have a question concerning hydraulic supply for changing the angle of a front mounted snow plow.

What I have:
Tractor - L5460 HST Cab
Backhoe - BH92
FEL - LA1055 (Has quick attach bucket Skid steer type quick connect/disconnect)
I have 1 set of rear remotes

I do not have any additional hydraulics run to FEL, just the 4 standard hydraulic lines.

I'm considering purchasing a front snow blade with a manual angle change. So far straight forward, and no problems. However, what I would like to do is add a hydraulic cylinder to the front blade to adjust the angle.
I could also purchase a snow blade with the hydraulic angel adjust built in.
Both options present the same problem no available hydraulic supply up on the FEL.

Here is my question, what are your thoughts on using the rear set of remotes to supply hydraulic pressure via hoses run from the rear to the front. Long runs I know. I also understand they would have to be protected from damage. Will this work? What problems will this approach present?

I understand that while using this set up, I cannot have the Backhoe hooked up to the hydraulic system. I found this in the Backhoe manual:
It is necessary to have the backhoe detached when using rear remotes, the 3-point hitch or any other valves that are downstream of the backhoe valve. Failure to do this may cause the exceeding allowable back pressure to break the seal or case of the backhoe valve. (Yes, this is the exact wording from the manual)

/ Front snow plow with hydraulic angle change question #2  
THirsty
I have 2 rear remotes on our Mahindra. I ran a set of lines from the rear remotes to the location of the loader disconnects and mounted a disconnect bracket for them. On our loader, I ran 2 lines from the centre of the frame behind the bucket to connect in with the 2 rear remotes. I can connect a tree puller I made or the Grapple that is coming and use the rear remote to control it. If I remove the loader frame, it is 2 more lines to disconnect. The functionality is worth the cost of another set of quick connects.
Cam
Ps you need a crossover relief for the angle cylinders.

/ Front snow plow with hydraulic angle change question #3  
Just pin the swing, boom, and stabilizers before disconnecting the hoe's hydraulic PB loop. :thumbsup:

/ Front snow plow with hydraulic angle change question
Clearly, I have more to learn. It sounds like it will work if I pipe it up correctly.

Luke, my stabilizers do not have pins or other means to hold them up, I suppose I can strap them up before I remove the hydraulic hose. Thanks for the info.

camshawn, Adding the disconnects near the others is a good idea. I agree it would be worth the small additional cost.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Thirsty

One other quetion, I am assuming the hydraulic system for the remotes is an open center system. Can someone confirm this? I already have a double acting cylinder from an older snow plow that I planned to use. In this case, I do not need a crossover releif, correct?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
   / Front snow plow with hydraulic angle change question #5  
Thirsty,
MANY guys use their rear remote to operate snowplows and/or grapples, if you search some you'll find quite a few threads about it. All need is long 1/4" or 3/8" hoses and a few couplers and your all set.

Yes, you have an open center system.

/ Front snow plow with hydraulic angle change question #6  
Regarding the crossover relief, I recommend the use of one on any snowplow hydraulic angle installation. The quantity and style of cylinder used doesn't matter.

/ Front snow plow with hydraulic angle change question #7  
I have considered a front blade for my BX 25. Picked up the QC part q while back at a sale. Per the manual, the way it works is use all four lines from the FEL joy stick; two for the lift and two for the angle. The way the system is made it would take a major modification to make into a six way blade. So; the FEL joy stick should be all you need and the hoses are right their. On the BX you have to remove the FEL to install he FB.

Ron

I don't intend to remove my FEL, just the Bucket. My bucket has a skidsteer type quick release. After my bucket is removed, I can install one of these:
Amazon.com: Skidsteer 3 Point Attachment Adapter Skid Steer trailer hitch front loader case: Home Improvement

I can then attach my snow plow to the adapter plate. The FEL will raise and lower the plow. I suppose I could use the side to side FEL joystick controls to contol the side to side angle. I really should not need to adjust up and down tilt of the blade. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Anyone have thought on using the FEL controls in this manor?

/ Front snow plow with hydraulic angle change question #9  
I don't intend to remove my FEL, just the Bucket. My bucket has a skidsteer type quick release. After my bucket is removed, I can install one of these:
Amazon.com: Skidsteer 3 Point Attachment Adapter Skid Steer trailer hitch front loader case: Home Improvement

I can then attach my snow plow to the adapter plate. The FEL will raise and lower the plow. I suppose I could use the side to side FEL joystick controls to contol the side to side angle. I really should not need to adjust up and down tilt of the blade. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Anyone have thought on using the FEL controls in this manor?

Generally speaking, you'll want to be able to change the angle of attack of the blade so you will need another circuit. Not only to correct some cylinder drift, but when piling/stacking snow if you don't change the angle of the blade it it be facing the sky what you raise the loader.

Does anyone know where I can get a schematic of the hydraulic system on my l5460? HSTC. I'm interested in the FEL and remotes. Not the HST or power steering systems.