BX 54" deck - dang keyed driveshaft!

/ BX 54" deck - dang keyed driveshaft! #1  

DaveInColorado

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1500
BX 54\" deck - dang keyed driveshaft!

I've taken my mower deck on and off my BX1500 several times in the last few months. For the most part things work great but the other day I had a bear of a time aligning the driveshaft! I eventually jacked up the tractor and reached in from behind to align it up. What method do the rest of you use to connect that driveshaft? I think what might work best is to put the deck under the tractor unconnected, connect driveshaft halves together and onto the transmission, then move the deck back to where it goes before attaching it to the tractor. Since it is a pain in the buttocks to mow with the FEL attached and I often need the FEL, and since two of my sons are also using the tractor for their own work with the neighbors, I had better get real good at taking the deck off and putting it on.

Also - I would appreciate comments on my idea of grinding off the weld on the splines of the forward part of the driveshaft that makes it keyed. Why do I need it keyed?

Suggestions or experiences requested!

/ BX 54" deck - dang keyed driveshaft! #2  
Re: BX 54\" deck - dang keyed driveshaft!

The shaft is keyed to maintain proper yoke alignment and shaft balance. I leave the shaft together and slide the deck in. It will lay by the lug on the left side.

/ BX 54" deck - dang keyed driveshaft!

It doesn't really spin all that fast so I don't see why it would need to be perfectly balanced. What is "yoke alignment"?

This is a whole lot easier to do with two people. Maybe I'll just make sure my older son is there to help before I do it the next time.

With your suggested method I found that it was difficult to get the driveshaft locked all the way onto the transmission shaft. How do you solve that problem? I only have room for one arthritic-shoulder arm fully stretched out to get to the place where the driveshaft connects to the transmission. My arm noodles away after 15 seconds in that position. I might back the Kubota onto the car loading ramps so I can crawl under it and use two hands next time. That might solve all problems.

/ BX 54" deck - dang keyed driveshaft! #4  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It doesn't really spin all that fast )</font>

This thing spins at 2500 rpm.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What is "yoke alignment"? )</font>

Next time you have it out look at the shaft assebley and you will see how the yokes are aligned with both haves together. The yoke alignment just arranges the weight evenly around the circle. If the shaft is high speed ballanced then it must be assembled in the same position to maintain balance.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This is a whole lot easier to do with two people )</font>

Mine rolls out on wheels and I also have shoulder trouble but if the shaft is assembled it is not hard to get the spline started on transmission then pull the sleeve and slide it home. The ramp idea should help out a bit.

/ BX 54" deck - dang keyed driveshaft! #5  

Dave; Here are a few thoughts, FWIW;
1. I slide the deck under until it just is past the tires on the left side. I find this gives me room to maneuver.
2. Time is your friend. My driveshaft became much easier to connect after the first year or so. I suspect the splines may have worn a tiny bit.
3. I also spray the shaft coming out of the transmission with white grease when I connect the shaft.
I inderstand what you are talking about. I struggled myself for the first several times, even jacking the tractor up like you did. Good luck,
Will

/ BX 54" deck - dang keyed driveshaft! #6  

Try having someone SLOWLY pull on the belt (which will rotate the shaft), and hold the thing on the pto shaft (watch your fingers don't get caught in the CV doo flicky).

It is indeed a pain in the ****. Grease the heck out of it, and wear latex gloves (I keep a box of a hundered gloves in the shed,... tractors are messy).

/ BX 54" deck - dang keyed driveshaft! #7  

I'll echo what they all say....
1. Keep the shaft together.
2. Grease. Keep grease on the PTO shaft on the tractor.
3. Have the MMM hooked to the tractor so it's all solid, and lowered.
4. Pull the collar back on the MMM's shaft, and butt it on the tractor's PTO shaft.
5. Turn the MMM shaft and as it starts to turn put pressure on the shaft towards the tractor.... It'll slide right on with the grooves on the PTO shaft aligns up. The collar may pop back but this all is easily done in under a minute.
6. GLOVES
7. GLOVES. I can look at my tractor and get grease on some part of my body.

/ BX 54" deck - dang keyed driveshaft!

Thanks for the complete list! I do have latex gloves but they don't keep the grease off my favorite jeans so I don't use them very often. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I will lube the shaft on the tractor the next time the deck is off (this coming Saturday). I've neglected to take care of that one!

By the way, with all the uses that my boys and I find for the tractor, I'm starting to reserve Saturday or at least Saturday morning as Loader Day. This will keep the deck ON/OFF process down to once per week. Any loader work that they have in mind for the neighbors needs to happen on Saturday. From all the work they have lined up even before the school is out for summer we think between us the tractor will be running for 12 hours this Saturday alone. I just got the tractor last November. It is everything I ever dreamed of! BX1500 - 105 hours and counting.

Thanks! I declare this thread Over and Out.

/ BX 54" deck - dang keyed driveshaft! #9  

If you put the PTO selector in the rear only position the mid PTO spins freely. This will aid you in connecting the shaft, it self aligns when you push the yoke onto the shaft. This also works the other way when you are trying to hook up the rear PTO shaft, put it in mid only and the rear PTO spins freely.