Service at 800 Hours

/ Service at 800 Hours #1  

bill18163

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710,BX1860,LA3940
The 800 hour service is due on my B2710. Valve clearance is what I am going to do along with the other service items. I am assuming that you have to remove the glow plugs so that when you turn the engine to put the valves in the correct position to check the clearance you are not working against any engine compression. Am I correct on this? Also, how can you manually rotate the engine so you can get the valves into the correct positions? Is it possible to turn the fan belt pulley to turn the engine? How else would you turn the engine into position? Any input would be appreciated.

/ Service at 800 Hours #2  
Bump using the starter or if you can get a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt turn by hand. Hand turning slowly is possible as the pressure slowly escapes past the rings and valves. I didn't pull the glow plugs when I did it and simply bumped the motor over using the starter.

Here's one method that works on stock or even very radical cam shafts (racing applications)

Adjust the intake, when the exhaust valve just begins to open.

Adjust exhaust when the intake valve starts to close after max lift.

In other words... EO/IC rule (Exhaust Opening and Intake Closing). Set the intake valve lash when the exhaust valve is beginning to open. This will put the intake lifter at the base circle which is where you want it to be. Then set the exhaust valve lash when the intake valve is about halfway down on the closing side.

Most of the time turning the alternator or fan results in belt slippage (motor not turning).