BX2370-1 / buyers remorse?

/ BX2370-1 / buyers remorse? #1  

Michael Aos

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2370-1 RTV500
We recently had a massive wind storm. Gusts over 100mph.

I've got houses on 3 lots. 11340, 10800, 7382 square feet -- so about 2/3 of an acre total.

The storm took out about 600 feet of privacy fence and a couple trees. A few more trees need to go.

All 3 properties are in need of complete landscaping / xeriscaping , plus some negative-grade issues causing water intrusion in one.

Bought the BX2370-1 w/FEL & Land Pride PD10 post hole digger. $0 down, 0% APR for 60-months deal.

Thinking I can spend a year (or two) making payments and getting everything in order myself, then sell it and come out ahead -vs- hiring someone to do all the work.

I still think the basic premise is sound, but after ~7hrs now on the BX2370-1, I'm starting to wonder if I should have gone up a size to the B-series.

/ BX2370-1 / buyers remorse? #2  
That isn't that much property. I would rent or borrow a tracked skid steer for grading and heavy lifting. You will like the bx once you get it up to par.

/ BX2370-1 / buyers remorse?
Thank you. Exactly what I was wanting to hear!

/ BX2370-1 / buyers remorse? #4  
We recently had a massive wind storm. Gusts over 100mph.

The storm took out about 600 feet of privacy fence and a couple trees. More trees need to go.

All 3 properties are in need of complete landscaping / xeriscaping , plus some negative-grade issues causing water intrusion in one.

Bought the BX2370-1 w/FEL & Land Pride PD10 post hole digger. $0 down, 0% APR for 60-months deal.

After ~7 hours now on the BX2370-1, I'm starting to wonder if I should have gone up a size to the B-series.

Largely depends on how you value your time and your back.

Generally buy a tractor sized for 90% of routine tasks, then hire out heavier work or rent a heavier piece of equipment, either a Skid Steer or a Mini-Excavator.

With (presumably large) trees you should hire the work out. Dropping large trees in limited space and considerable chainsaw time is work for a professional Tree Service.

A BX should be fine with the balance of your work. Modifying grade with a tractor usually requires a Box Blade. Minor grade change may only require a Ratchet Rake.

6/09/2016

This post concerns Ratchet Rakes Vs. light Box Blades, such as the 60" Land Pride BB1260/346 pounds/69 pounds per foot.

I searched for the weight of kubota L3301 bucket but could not find a number. I presume L3301 bucket weighs approximately 240 pounds, extrapolating from other kubota specs. 68" Ratchet Rake weighs 88 pounds. Adding 240 + 88 = 328 pounds, pretty close to 346 pounds of BB1260 Box Blade.

In addition, the (operator controlled) weight of the FEL frame bears on the Ratchet Rake. Likewise, weight of the Three Point Hitch bears on the Box Blade. FEL frames weigh much more than ( 3X? 4X?) Three Point Hitch components. So, including some FEL weight, I guesstimate that ground contact pressure on Ratchet Rake and BB1260 would be at least equal, perhaps greater pressure on the Ratchet Rake.

Further in Ratchet Rake's favor you have articulation of bucket/RR combination in two planes from the operator's station and 1-1/2" serrated teeth on the Ratchet Rake.

Box Blade can be raised and lowered hydraulically from the operator's station. Box Blade angle of attack is adjustable via the Three Point Hitch Top Link, but not from the operator's station. Standard Box Blade does not have rippers, standard is a smooth cutting edge.

Ratchet Rake is capable of tearing up sod with its serrated teeth, the initial operation in much grading. The Ratchet Rake will not pull as large a load as a Box Blade but it may pull 40% of capacity of BB1260 per pass, with faster cycles. Ratchet Rake is more intuitive in operation than a Box Blade, which requires considerable experience to operate efficiently.

This is why I feel the Ratchet Rake is superior to light Box Blades for LIGHT grading.

This is a novel assessment of the Ratchet Rake. Subject to revision and modification.

When I have heavy grading to do, I mount my 60"/625 pound (125 pounds per foot) Bush Hog (brand) Rollover Box Blade on the tractor's Three Point Hitch AND the Ratchet Rake on my FEL bucket.

Should you decide to buy a heavier tractor than your current 1,410 pound (bare tractor) BX2370, know that it takes a full 50% increase in weight, the key metric, before you notice a great improvement in capability.

The heaviest open station 'B' is the B3350/HST at 1,896 pounds (bare tractor).

The L2501/HST is 2,623 pounds (bare tractor) and has 13"+ ground clearance.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thank you.

I've already found I can lift the fallen trees with the BX2370-1 FEL.

The remaining trees that need to be removed are smaller. Haven't tackled the stumps yet.

My thinking is to dig around them with the post-hole digger and then pull them out with a combination of the BX2370-1, truck (2003 Tundra 4x4), winches and pulleys.

I've also got about 60' of boxwood bushes I hope to remove with this: BrushGrubber

Generally buy a tractor sized for 90% of routine tasks

Thanks. Without that particular number in my head, that was kind of my mindset in general. I went back-and-forth between the BX2370-1 and the BX25D-1. I finally decided for the ~$4500 difference, I could rent a backhoe / mini-excavator as-needed.

it takes a full 50% increase in weight, the key metric, before you notice a great improvement in capability

I'm quickly learning that weight is extremely important. Sometimes it feels like the BX is a feather in the wind.

Thank you for your insight.

/ BX2370-1 / buyers remorse? #8  
I've found I can lift the fallen trees with the BX2370-1 FEL.

Keep the PHD mounted on the Three Point Hitch for FEL counterbalance. Counterbalance reduces considerable stress on front axle and front wheel bearings when moving heavy loads in the FEL bucket.

The remaining trees that need to be removed are smaller. Haven't tackled the stumps yet.

My thinking is to dig around them with the post-hole digger and then pull them out with a combination of the BX2370-1, truck (2003 Tundra 4x4), winches and pulleys.

I am skeptical you can do this SAFELY. Go slow. Mini-excavator is the best tool for stump removal. Early Tundras were lightly built; don't prang the truck.
TBN ARCHIVE: tractor stump removal site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

I've also got about 60' of boxwood bushes I hope to remove with this: BrushGrubber.

Loosen roots with FEL bucket.
Do NOT pull from the FEL; you will wreck it.
Pull only from rear/center drawbar. Wait for moist soil.
No jerking!

Attachments

• DSC00514.JPG
    DSC00514.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Do NOT pull from the FEL; you will wreck it.
Pull only from rear/center drawbar. Wait for moist soil.
No jerking!

I'm starting from 0.

I was fully expecting to pull with the FEL.

No jerking, and I can wet the soil.

Looking at a 1-2yr project, so plenty of time to figure out how to do it correctly.

/ BX2370-1 / buyers remorse? #10  
Weight is your friend. You need to have some counter weight to get the most effective use of your FEL. Are your rear wheels filled? Are you putting a box blade or some counter weight on the back while doing FEL work? Night and day difference.

I had a larger tractor, but now have the BX-2370-1. My rear wheels are filled and I use a box blade for more counter weight and I'm always amazed at what this little machine can do.

I have a grapple and I would not hesitate to use it to pull all those shrubs with it. I'm removed a ton of privet with mine, but counterweight makes all the difference in the world.