KFI Snow Plow for 2015 RTV x1100c

/ KFI Snow Plow for 2015 RTV x1100c #11  
Is there some reason you can't bolt the winch directly to the built-in winch plate on the RTV? It's got standard hole spacing that should match any standard winch. I know my Warn winch bolted on very nicely. From what I can see in your photos, the built-in winch plate is completely open and unobstructed.

/ KFI Snow Plow for 2015 RTV x1100c
The winch is oriented wrong for this rig. The mount I have was for a Polaris ATV and the fairlead would be on top if I mounted it directly to the RTV. The adapter will allow me to use the fairlead in the proper position. Yes, the holes are correct but the parts I have are wrong for this application. But, I can make it work.

This is the winch I have and the actual winch mounting bolts are in the back. The adapter will make it work... without that long plate on the back of course.

32393099192_1bdd33e466.jpg

OMG, this thing is a snow pusher! I have never had a snow plow before this one. I moved my pickup that was in about 2 feet of snow and carefully attacked the snow. Wow, this thing just ate it up, and pushed it up into a pile, even without any lift capability on the plow yet. Very happy with it so far. I went up and down the road in front of the house to remove the few inches of snow we got overnight, cleared a couple of neighbors drive entries and just had fun!

Sunshine today, temps in the 20s, so I decided to start the wiring. I routed the main 12 volt feed from the battery to up under the hood. I also covered the hot wire with the black cable protector stuff. I followed the water lines from the radiator back to the battery and tie-wrapped the cables securely out of the way of moving parts like the front suspension. I found an existing channel on the left side of the radiator and brought the cables up through that.

32197569640_de88414f12_c.jpg

The cables follow the battery cables down and then turn toward the front of the vehicle, following the water lines.

32576551755_64e96e6906_c.jpg

They emerge from under the cab, still following the water lines. The long tailed tie-wrap is around the cable.

31732767014_ccf6e613bd_c.jpg

Behind the suspension, tied to the water line and frame, then straight up to the hood area.

32454190111_fb95768a2a_c.jpg

Out of that channel next to the radiator, tied to an existing hole in the radiator frame and over to where the relay will be. The relay will sit on the flat spot between the overflow tank and the washer tank. It has to be far enough back to clear the headlight housing when the hood is closed.

32576551995_e6498c0bc9_c.jpg

/ KFI Snow Plow for 2015 RTV x1100c #15  
Looks like you are making progress!!! You'll really love it when you can control everything with a simple flip of the switch!!!! Thanks for posting your progress Ken!!!!

Thanks Richard. More sun today, so I moved more snow. One of our freezers is in a building that also houses the wood pellet supply for the pellet stove. Before the last big storm, I dug my way in and brought a couple of weeks supply of pellets onto the porch. Today, I dug the road out again and got goodies from the freezer as well as more pellets, just in case. With the luck I have been having, I figured that while the tractor was behaving, I better use it!

I did get the RTV winch mounted and the original cables run up and over the radiator toward the relay. The relay is mounted now too. I have to make extensions for the original winch cables and put ends and the fuse holder on the supply at the battery. I also figured out where to mount the in/out switch for the winch. It is going on the side of the cup holder on the left side. For now, I will power it from the hot wire on the relay. When I can get to my parts, I will run a fused and switched line to the dash to the spare switch position just above the headlight switch. I have a remote ordered and want to be able to control the winch even if the engine isn't running. The independent power switch for the winch will allow that.
Pictures tomorrow I hope.

With the winch and relay installed, I worked on the wiring connections some today.

The wires from the winch go up the side of the radiator, in an existing channel.

32239430700_f1f82c0655_z_d.jpg

Then they come over the radiator and head for the relay.

32465290502_7fcaabe1f9_z_d.jpg

32495950241_7e588922c9_z_d.jpg

The relay. The connection for the in/out switch is the white connector. The wires will go straight back from the relay and through the rubber boot directly behind it (just below the blue tape on the firewall) and into the dash.

32239432480_d924906ddc_z_d.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow, I will make the battery connections and install the switch and test it!

/ KFI Snow Plow for 2015 RTV x1100c #18  
Lookin good Ken!!!

I would suggest getting rid of some cable though. It's going to get jammed easily if not.

Anxious to see it in action!!!

The winch cable... yes, the spool is quite full. I think I will get a synthetic cable when I can.

Well Richard, you know what you are talking about. I got the winch working and took the rig out for a test. Immediately I had problems. I put the blade in a snow bank which raised it... releasing the tension on that mass of cable and it bird-nested. Not knowing what I was doing, I attempted to raise or lower the blade, which jammed the winch and smoked the 50 amp fuse. At least I know that a winch stall is protected. Grrr... so, I limped back to the house, not far fortunately and fixed it. I chopped off that horrible steel cable, leaving enough to cover the drum with one layer. That is carefully and painfully (difficult to do...) wrapped with electrical tape and cable ties so it cannot spring up off the drum and tangle. It works now, it only has to move a few inches to work the blade.
I may have to tip the blade back slightly too, not sure yet. No fresh snow (of course) to test it on.

So, what is the best/cheapest/recommended synthetic cable for the winch? Or, should I get a strap and put the synthetic rope on for summer?

HELP!