Grapple Size ??

/ Grapple Size ?? #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
I'm looking to get a grapple for my MX5800 with LA1065 FEL and have a question regarding the best width to get. The bucket on the 1065 is 72" and matches the rear tire width. In the past, I've always sized my implement width to be equal to or greater than the tire width. Should the same be true for a grapple? The main use for the grapple is moving logs, large tree branches and brush. Any suggestions?

/ Grapple Size ?? #2  
Lots and lots of opinions on this one. But grapples hold their load up... tire width is not a consideration. Weight however, is.

/ Grapple Size ?? #3  
FYI, this is a surprisingly continuous topic on TBN (especially in the middle of winter). Hint: there is no an easy answer.

I'm happy with my 72" root grapple. :confused3: I would not want wider. I would survive just fine with narrower.

/ Grapple Size ?? #4  
I am also constantly trying to figure out what size may be best for my M4700. Since most of my work will be in moderately dense woods I'm leaning towards smaller than my bucket for ease of movement.

/ Grapple Size ?? #5  
I am also constantly trying to figure out what size may be best for my M4700. Since most of my work will be in moderately dense woods I'm leaning towards smaller than my bucket for ease of movement.

The thing about a wider bucket is I can lean to the side and see the tine tips for grabbing small or difficult to grasp items. But there are trade-offs.

/ Grapple Size ?? #6  
I bought a 48" rock bucket (~ 450 - 500 pounds net) a couple years ago instead of a wider one due to weight considerations. I have used mine a lot for digging and moving very large rocks, moving brush, logs for firewood and many other things. I see no need for a wider, heavier one that would reduce the load carrying capacity and maneuverability.

/ Grapple Size ?? #7  
Please mark me in the "less is more" column. Mine is 50 inches.. I have never wanted wider..

/ Grapple Size ?? #9  
Although I don't have a grapple (I'm planning to fabricate one), but I think it's more important, how much it opens up to grasp a load, than its width. And the dimensions of opened grapple to suit the dimensions of material you're going mostly to work with. Example round baler, brush, logs, rocks...

/ Grapple Size ?? #10  
My bucket is 72" and at times it has been a little wide for the work I wanted to do in and around my big & little pines. So I went with a Land Pride SGC1560.

Its 60" wide and weighs 820#. It would be called a root & rock grapple. Its heavy duty to the extreme - I've never wanted a wider/narrower unit and its great for grubbing out rocks, trees and roots. Its very handy for light grading/leveling in either forward or reverse. Very nice for bunching up limbs from a trimmed up fallen pine.

The beauty of purchasing a grapple is that you DO have such a wide field to select from...... "choose wisely, grasshopper"

View attachment 497768

Last edited: