Adding weight to new BX2370-1 (and probably a box blade)

/ Adding weight to new BX2370-1 (and probably a box blade) #1  

Michael Aos

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2370-1 RTV500
Looking at having Rimguard installed -- 83lbs per rear wheel. About $1/lb.
Wheel weights, 51lbs per rear wheel. About $.85/lb.

Strongly toying with the idea of adding the Land Pride BB1248 box blade as well.

Sound about right?

I don't know if it's really an alternative to a box blade, but while I was at the dealer I looked at the Land Pride CB0550 Combination Bucket. Seems kinda slick.

/ Adding weight to new BX2370-1 (and probably a box blade) #2  
Page 12 of Land Pride's Operators Manual shows BB1248 weight as 316 pounds/79 pounds per foot.
http://www.landpride.com/ari/attach/lp/public/manuals/303-295m.pdf

Consider a 52" Ratchet Rake in lieu of this light Box Blade:

RATCHET RAKE TODAY // FEL Bucket Attachment 6/09/2016

This post concerns Ratchet Rakes Vs. light Box Blades, such as the 60" Land Pride BB1260/346 pounds/69 pounds per foot.

I searched for the weight of kubota L3301 bucket but could not find a number. I presume L3301 bucket weighs approximately 240 pounds, extrapolating from other kubota specs. 68" Ratchet Rake weighs 88 pounds. Adding 240 + 88 = 328 pounds, pretty close to 346 pounds of BB1260 Box Blade.

In addition, the (operator controlled) weight of the FEL frame bears on the Ratchet Rake. Likewise, weight of the Three Point Hitch bears on the Box Blade. FEL frames weigh much more than ( 3X? 4X?) Three Point Hitch components. So, including some FEL weight, I guesstimate that ground contact pressure on Ratchet Rake and BB1260 would be at least equal, perhaps greater pressure on the Ratchet Rake.

Further in Ratchet Rake's favor you have articulation of bucket/RR combination in two planes from the operator's station and 1-1/2" serrated teeth on the Ratchet Rake.

Box Blade can be raised and lowered hydraulically from the operator's station. Box Blade angle of attack is adjustable via the Three Point Hitch Top Link, but not from the operator's station. Standard Box Blade does not have rippers, standard is a smooth cutting edge.

Ratchet Rake is capable of tearing up sod with its serrated teeth, the initial operation in much grading. The Ratchet Rake will not pull as large a load as a Box Blade but it may pull 40% of capacity of BB1260 per pass, with faster cycles. Ratchet Rake is more intuitive in operation than a Box Blade, which requires considerable experience to operate efficiently.

This is why I feel the Ratchet Rake is superior to light Box Blades for LIGHT grading.

This is a novel assessment of the Ratchet Rake. Subject to revision and modification.

When I have heavy grading to do, I mount my 60"/625 pound (125 pounds per foot) Bush Hog (brand) Rollover Box Blade on the tractor's Three Point Hitch AND the Ratchet Rake on my FEL bucket.

YOU NEED SOME TYPE OF THREE POINT HITCH COUNTERWEIGHT TO OPERATE FEL AND BUCKET AT LIFT CAPACITY.
With filled rear tires the BB1248 would suffice as counterweight. However, I would seek a Box Blade of 400 to 425 pounds in 48" width. Your Operator's Manual will have Kubota's suggested max weight for Box Blades listed.

Last edited:
   / Adding weight to new BX2370-1 (and probably a box blade) #4  
Looking at having Rimguard installed -- 83lbs per rear wheel. About $1/lb.
Wheel weights, 51lbs per rear wheel. About $.85/lb.

Sound about right?

My turf tires on my BX swallowed about 11 gallons of washer fluid and water (I bought 20 gallons, each took 10 gallons and still swallowed almost a gallon of water before being "full" to the point of spitting fluid out the stem). At 8.3 lbs for water you would have 83 lbs for 10 gallons, but RimGuard should be a fair amount heavier.