Backhoe Adding a Kubota hydraulic thumb to my BH 92

/ Adding a Kubota hydraulic thumb to my BH 92 #1  

Thirsty

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2230, L5460 FWD, HSTC
Today I ordered the parts for a hydraulic thumb to add to my BH 92. It will involve adding the control vlve, foot control, cylinfer, and the thumb itself. Anyone interested in anything special? I'm going to try and remember to take pictures at key times but knowing how I work, I'll get going and forget about the pictures.

Don't expect pictures right away, I do not have the parts yet. lol

/ Adding a Kubota hydraulic thumb to my BH 92 #2  
Pictures????? Lol. Can't wait to see. 😄

/ Adding a Kubota hydraulic thumb to my BH 92 #3  
Just take da pics or else!

/ Adding a Kubota hydraulic thumb to my BH 92 #4  
I have no "key points" pics, but I can do "already installed" ones.

/ Adding a Kubota hydraulic thumb to my BH 92 #5  
Do you think you're going to like the foot controlled valve? I didn't know that's how it worked when I ordered my tractor. I happened to just get the manual thumb because I couldn't justify the price of hydraulic, and I'm kind of glad because I think I would just hate the foot controlled valve on the already cramped platform. After minimal use I knew I needed to convert to hydraulic and started to look at how I could add a valve. I wound copying others on this site by teeing in the bucket lines and adding a solenoid valve on the thumb's cylinder line, which is controlled by a push button switch I put on the joystick. Total cost was less than just the OEM thumb cylinder. Might not be the best operating thumb but it works well enough, and definitely much better than the manual version. I've already used it a lot for picking up blocks to set on the log splitter and digging stumps.

/ Adding a Kubota hydraulic thumb to my BH 92 #6  
Do you think you're going to like the foot controlled valve? I didn't know that's how it worked when I ordered my tractor. I happened to just get the manual thumb because I couldn't justify the price of hydraulic, and I'm kind of glad because I think I would just hate the foot controlled valve on the already cramped platform. After minimal use I knew I needed to convert to hydraulic and started to look at how I could add a valve. I wound copying others on this site by teeing in the bucket lines and adding a solenoid valve on the thumb's cylinder line, which is controlled by a push button switch I put on the joystick. Total cost was less than just the OEM thumb cylinder. Might not be the best operating thumb but it works well enough, and definitely much better than the manual version. I've already used it a lot for picking up blocks to set on the log splitter and digging stumps.
Any pictures of setup?

/ Adding a Kubota hydraulic thumb to my BH 92
Ok, here are some pictures..... LOL
I normally keep the Tractor in the unheated pole building in the background.

IMG_0143.JPG

The backhoe is lowered down so it will fit into the third stall of my heated garage. I plan to get it ready for when I do get the parts.

OK, Now in the garage, plenty of room. NOT

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

Maybe my next project will be to see how I can attach my mower from my BX 2230 to my L 5460... I could then mow in air conditioned comfort. Sounds like a lot of hot sweaty work for little payback.

Housing removed waiting for parts now. Pay no attention to how I rotated the boom to make more room.
IMG_0160.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG

My other Orange toy...

IMG_0162.JPG

But I digress......

Last edited: