Sad story of Kubota TnT

/ Sad story of Kubota TnT #21  
Hydraulic Top & Tilt Cylinders, usually abbreviated to TnT. Replaces your 3pt toplink & one of the side links so you can adjust them from your seat. The greatest tractor accessory since sliced bread. There are several photos of them previously in the thread.

I like sliced bread, I seen your previous post and the leaking cylinders, but how does it slice the bread with what implement, some sort of road grader maybe? Is this the only way to get down pressure on the 3pt hitch?

/ Sad story of Kubota TnT #22  
Fallon, those are not Kubota cylinders. In fact, they look identical to the A&I cylinders I bought for my L3200 (about $180 for the top link and $120 for the side link -- mine both were "new old stock" made in the USA from the 1990s, but I understand new ones are cheapo Chinese crap). They have been fine on my L3200 with no leaks or issues, but I sure wouldn't want to be sold those for an L4060 and told they were from Kubota. I'd wager you paid a lot more too. I'd send those back to the dealer and tell him you want OEM, not budget crap.

If they are the same cylinders I think they are, then the stroke is probably not nearly enough for your L4060, never mind that they are too small in general.

Last edited:
   / Sad story of Kubota TnT #23  
Here's a pic of my A&I side link -- I think it looks just like yours:

IMG_6905.jpg

The OEM Kubota hydraulic side link has an angled clevis on the bottom (just like the original turnbuckle side link) which these generic side links do not. That's just one giveaway. Lack of Kubota gray paint is another.

The other thing I don't like about your setup is the total redneck-rig of fittings they set you up with. The cylinders have ORB fittings, so when I ordered hoses, I had ORB fittings crimped onto the hose ends. Much cleaner install that way and fits better and more compactly. Why they would give you JIC fittings on the hoses and then elbow adapters is beyond me -- that's not custom either -- that's an off-the-shelf hack. Fine in terms of function, but not something I'd expect from an OEM kit.

I think the dealer just put together the most convenient generic "kit" from standard parts they could get their hands on. You could do that for a lot less money if that's what you really wanted, but it sounds like you were expecting something much better and you probably paid for something better. I'd ask for my money back and tell the dealer they need to be more professional.

/ Sad story of Kubota TnT
So I chatted with the service guy on the phone on my way home. He said they had an extra cylinder & swapped it out & mentioned check valves as a possible fix for the sidelink leak down. Not an option as I explicitly got the float spools just for TnT as I loved on my L3200's toplink. Will worry about that next after things stop leaking externally. I assume they ordered a few when they ordered mine as I heard them mention that a while back & why else would I have not gotten it sooner if they had it on hand. Fired it up, ran it in & out a few times...

20170213_194148.jpg

Sidelink fitting was still seeping a hair too. I unpluged the sidelink QDs & will check it in the morning. Will check to see if the bottom clevis is tweaked like the stock fixed ones are. I thought it was. The dealer says they will take care of me & so far they have. The lack of QA is kind of by whoever the manufacturer is, as well as the dealer is depressing though. Wouldn't suprise me one bit if those cylinders weren't OEM Kubota. I think FitRite will come up heavily in my conversation with them tomorrow. If that flies, it won't be a speedy fix, but at least I know they will be done right by somebody with pride in their work.

/ Sad story of Kubota TnT #25  
I had a similar issue with the OEM T&T kit on my MX5800. I had a few minor leaks but the main issues were the fitment and rapid cylinder bleed down. The day the dealer delivered the tractor I raised the 3 point hitch and promptly sheared off one of the side mounted ports on the tilt cylinder. It turned out to be the wrong T&T kit. After much discussion with the dealer, I finally got one that fit reasonably well. See this thread for all the details: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ng/358214-top-tilt-kit-mx5800.html?highlight=

The new OEM T&T kit still leaks a bit and still suffers from the same rapid bleed down problem. They are not the same cylinders as the OP's though. Pics of the cylinders are available in the above thread.

It's a shame Kubota can't provide a quality product with these kits. I had Brian at Fit Rite make up a T&T for my L3430 which worked perfectly. Unfortunately, it won't fit the MX series tractors. I'm thinking seriously of having Fit Rite make up a kit for the MX. Due to the rapid bleed down, I just remove the tilt cylinder when I don't need it. The bleed down on the top cylinder is easier to deal with.

/ Sad story of Kubota TnT #26  
So I chatted with the service guy on the phone on my way home. He said they had an extra cylinder & swapped it out & mentioned check valves as a possible fix for the sidelink leak down. Not an option as I explicitly got the float spools just for TnT as I loved on my L3200's toplink. Will worry about that next after things stop leaking externally. I assume they ordered a few when they ordered mine as I heard them mention that a while back & why else would I have not gotten it sooner if they had it on hand. Fired it up, ran it in & out a few times...

View attachment 498723

Sidelink fitting was still seeping a hair too. I unpluged the sidelink QDs & will check it in the morning. Will check to see if the bottom clevis is tweaked like the stock fixed ones are. I thought it was. The dealer says they will take care of me & so far they have. The lack of QA is kind of by whoever the manufacturer is, as well as the dealer is depressing though. Wouldn't suprise me one bit if those cylinders weren't OEM Kubota. I think FitRite will come up heavily in my conversation with them tomorrow. If that flies, it won't be a speedy fix, but at least I know they will be done right by somebody with pride in their work.

Have you considered doing this yourself? It's really not hard at all. The most difficult part would be sourcing good quality cylinders you have confidence in, that have the proper stroke and range, and the rest is a combination of off the shelf parts, custom hoses (discount hydraulic hose is great for that) and some welding. I think this is fairly attainable as a DIY project for anyone with decent welding and fab skills.

If there is any concern about the welding aspect, I bet a local shop could do that. Before I was setup to make good welds at home, I used a local shop. When I was in there once getting a hitch part welded, I saw a farmer get a clevis welded to a cylinder for $20 (their minimum charge) and they did a good job and knew how to keep the parts cool while welding. He was in and out in about 15 minutes.

Have you considered doing this yourself? It's really not hard at all. The most difficult part would be sourcing good quality cylinders you have confidence in, that have the proper stroke and range, and the rest is a combination of off the shelf parts, custom hoses (discount hydraulic hose is great for that) and some welding. I think this is fairly attainable as a DIY project for anyone with decent welding and fab skills.

If there is any concern about the welding aspect, I bet a local shop could do that. Before I was setup to make good welds at home, I used a local shop. When I was in there once getting a hitch part welded, I saw a farmer get a clevis welded to a cylinder for $20 (their minimum charge) and they did a good job and knew how to keep the parts cool while welding. He was in and out in about 15 minutes.
I got all the valves, plumbing & cylinders for my L3200 from FitRite. Did the install myself & Engineering with some assistance from Brian. I was happy with everything except for my hose routing. I didn't want to mess with trying to put valves in a cabbed machine, so just let Kubota do it on my new machine. Regretting that decision a bit now.

No significant leak down on the side link overnight despite it still dripping a bit... indicates a bad valve.

Unscrewed my manual toplink & set it on the hydraulic one. Looks like I'm missing 4" at least.

20170214_082152.jpg

Clevis on the side link is straight, so probably not OEM as others have noted.

20170214_082200.jpg

Dealer was asking how much my impliment weighed, presumably thinking I was overtaxing it. 60 gallons = 8 cubic feet & dirt is 70-100lbs per cf. Add a hundred lbs for the tank & you don't even make 1000lbs. 3pt is rated to 2750lbs @24" & the back of my ballast tank isn't even that far back.

Dealer has some new bigger & longer cylinders on order from somewhere else. Not going to address the leak down issue that is probably something with the valve until the cylinders oozing fluid externally is sorted. But they agree it's probably a probably a valve.

I don't think it will be coming from FitRite due to lead times, but you might be hearing from them for some future orders.

/ Sad story of Kubota TnT #29  
The last Kubota dealer that contacted me(last week) for a set said that Kubota was now saying May before any top & tilt sets. There have been problems of one kind or another now for well over a year. :(

I just got back from the World AG Expo in Tulare California, tried to get some sort of an answer from Kubota, talked to 5 different guys, every single person said that I would need to talk to someone else. Honestly a couple were most likely Kubota dealers and 3 were for sure from Kubota corporate, none had a clue. I gave up, I was in the Kubota area for a couple of hours getting up dated measurements, no one made any effort to talk to me.

Plus I would like to add, the Grand Ls do not have the side link clevis at an angle, the top ball swivel is, but not the clevis. The STD Ls have the clevis at an angle and not the ball swivel.

Just so that when you are looking at the replacements you don't think that something is wrong if it is not. ;)

Last edited:
   / Sad story of Kubota TnT #30  
I gave up, I was in the Kubota area for a couple of hours getting up dated measurements, no one made any effort to talk to me.

That sounds like their tradeshow effort is completely dysfunctional.