L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains?

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
Running R4's, is there enough clearance (couple inches?) at the rear cab post to accommodate a set of tire chains? Or will I need a pair of small wheel spacers?

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains?
Nevermind, got some measurements from the dealer who has the tractor, it looks like there should be just enough clearance...

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains? #3  
Good to know, I can't gt to mine righ now was pretty sure there was enough room. We rarely get snow, so I've never bought chains for any of our tractors.

I might do 2 inch wheel spacers anyway. It looks like with a perfect installation I need 1.25 inch for my chains, minimun. Right now on my MX5100 there are a few partially twisted links that stick out to 1.75", and I don't know if I can guarantee that I won't have some of those occasionally. That's cutting it close if there is 2" clearance.

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains? #5  
I might do 2 inch wheel spacers anyway. It looks like with a perfect installation I need 1.25 inch for my chains, minimun. Right now on my MX5100 there are a few partially twisted links that stick out to 1.75", and I don't know if I can guarantee that I won't have some of those occasionally. That's cutting it close if there is 2" clearance.

You can buy longer studs from Kubota for spacers. My custom wheel weights add an extra inch at the flange, and an inch extra is the minimum I suggest with chains.

You can buy longer studs from Kubota for spacers. My custom wheel weights add an extra inch at the flange, and an inch extra is the minimum I suggest with chains.

I didn't know that, thanks. I might like that approach better than going out 2 or 3 inches with an extra set of studs.

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains? #7  
Are you talking inside clearance or top side? Either way I think there's been an ongoing secret tractor fender clearance conspiracy for past two decades. Haven't these tractor manufacturers ever heard of tire chains for ice&snow, or they trying to start a market for wheel spacers and/or aftermarket for Extra Clearance Fenders for tractors.

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains? #8  
I didn't know that, thanks. I might like that approach better than going out 2 or 3 inches with an extra set of studs.

Local dealer was Clueless on the studs. I bought them for a dealer in Vermont.

Local dealer was Clueless on the studs. I bought them for a dealer in Vermont.

That seems to happen a lot. Save their name, you'll probably need it again.

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains? #10