Radiator Guard for Grapple ??

/ Radiator Guard for Grapple ?? #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
I've seen various posts here about radiator / grille damage caused by using a grapple. There have also been a lot of posts on grille guards. Since I just bought a grapple, is there any particular type of guard that works best with this implement? Since I've never used one, is there anything to watch out for? I suppose something as simple as a piece of plywood strapped to the FEL grille guard would work but I'd like something more creative. I'd appreciate any ideas / pictures other members may have specific to grapple use.

/ Radiator Guard for Grapple ?? #2  
If your MX has the factory brush guard you just need to get some expanded metal, cut it to shape and weld to the guard. If you don't have the guard you can probably order it from Kubota.
The other choice is to build your own from scratch. Plywood may block enough radiator air flow to cause problems.

Not a Kubota but here's mine.

Attachments

• DSCN1473 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1473 (Large).JPG
    422.4 KB · Views: 448
   / Radiator Guard for Grapple ?? #3  
The grapple doesn't directly cause the damage, just helps you decide to bury the nose of the tractor deeper into brush and other pokey dangers than you might otherwise. I have no grapple, but have nearly done major damage to my engine compartment with normal loader work in the woods.

Personally, I would look at protection that wraps around the bottom and sides as well, as I had a 1" stick nearly 5' long hit me in the right knee one day... after going up over the front axle, beside the fuel filter bowl, between fuel and hydraulic lines, and out from behind the side cover into my knee. Could have caused hundreds of dollars in damage, but I was very lucky, only minor damage to side panel. It went in, in such a way that no grill guard would have stopped it. Beware...

/ Radiator Guard for Grapple ?? #4  
Add one for sure "before" you do some damage by running into brush piles. I was lucky only taking out the lower plastic grill and battery and not my radiator.

Attachments

• tractor grill 003.JPG
    tractor grill 003.JPG
    787.6 KB · Views: 1,043
  • tractor grill 002.JPG
    tractor grill 002.JPG
    608.1 KB · Views: 426
   / Radiator Guard for Grapple ??

Thanks for the link. Strange it didn't show up in any of the searches I've done.

That post also raises a good question. Does the 3/16" expanded metal mesh offer enough protection? It would certainly help but a 3/16" stick could still do a lot of damage if it pokes through at the right angle. Not likely to happen that often though.

/ Radiator Guard for Grapple ?? #7  
Thanks for the link. Strange it didn't show up in any of the searches I've done.

That post also raises a good question. Does the 3/16" expanded metal mesh offer enough protection? It would certainly help but a 3/16" stick could still do a lot of damage if it pokes through at the right angle. Not likely to happen that often though.

Good point... if the right size obstacle at the right angle... alot of variables, the goal is to lower the average, perfect protection means parking the tractor inside a steel ship container, locked up inside a cement block building and NEVER taking it out... but if the guards you chose to install can lower the chance of intrusion of sticks and other dangers into vulnerable areas, you've gained... despite my close call, I have yet to add any further protection to my tractor, but it has made me far more aware of my surroundings.

/ Radiator Guard for Grapple ?? #8  

That post also raises a good question. Does the 3/16" expanded metal mesh offer enough protection?

It would certainly help but a 3/16" stick could still do a lot of damage if it pokes through at the right angle.

If the 3/16" mesh were 6-8 inches in front of the grill,, there would be zero chance the stick that long would have any strength.

Possibly, even 1/2" openings at 10 inches in front would stop all damage.

Poking any stick through mesh for 10 inches would be a very odd occurance,,,

/ Radiator Guard for Grapple ?? #9  
Had I took the time to do this to my tractor, I could have avoided the landscape timber that lined up to took out the head lamps. Just missed the radiator.

/ Radiator Guard for Grapple ?? #10  

I don't have any info about radiator protection, but I can help with the searching of TBN. I find that doing a google search is a much more effective way to search for info on TBN than using the TBN search feature.