Shaver HD-8 post drive and return line on L4701

/ Shaver HD-8 post drive and return line on L4701 #1  

HarleyRob

Tractor
Kubota L4701
Howdy friends,

I've been learning a ton from the forum over the years, and after getting my kubota a month or so along with some great implements I signed up figuring this day would come.

I have a L4701, and a shaver post driver. Both are new, and new to me as a whole. I had remotes installed, and everything worked great today on the post drivers maiden voyage with the exception of hydraulic fluid shooting all over the place from the low pressure return line not fitting the oil fill hole in the back.

See, the return line does not screw in the hole. It's too small. It is threaded. My dealer told me folks just "sit the line in the hole, it'll be fine". Well, no, it wasn't fine unless you like being showered with oil every time the post driver drops.

My questions are. A) is this really where the return goes? (The quick connect coupler allegedly restricts the flow, so won't work). B) what size are the threads and the oil fill hole size? My logic being, if I had an adapter I could just screw it into the oil fill hole

Anyways, I think that's it. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Robert

/ Shaver HD-8 post drive and return line on L4701 #2  
Thats what I hear on those, just dump it to tank as fast & free as possible. Usually just stick the hose into the fill port.

/ Shaver HD-8 post drive and return line on L4701 #3  
Shaver has specific fitting solutions for the fill port on some tractors. It might be worth a call to find out if they have one for your tractor. Otherwise figure out a way to secure the hose.

/ Shaver HD-8 post drive and return line on L4701
Thats what I hear on those, just dump it to tank as fast & free as possible. Usually just stick the hose into the fill port.

I did that exactly and it just comes out too fast creating a spray and a decent amount of fluid lost.

I sent a question over to shaver, but thanks for that idea.

/ Shaver HD-8 post drive and return line on L4701 #5  
Maybe the hose just needs to be a little longer? Also, it looks like a new plug is less than $10, might could get a plug and try to drill/cut the appropriate size hole in it. Or change to a larger hose, at least the last little bit, that fits tight in the threads.

/ Shaver HD-8 post drive and return line on L4701
Maybe the hose just needs to be a little longer? Also, it looks like a new plug is less than $10, might could get a plug and try to drill/cut the appropriate size hole in it. Or change to a larger hose, at least the last little bit, that fits tight in the threads.

Ooh, now there's an idea. I like where your head's at. Creative, elegant, DIY (which i usually prefer) - thank you for the suggestion.

/ Shaver HD-8 post drive and return line on L4701 #7  
I had the HD-10 on my L4400 connected to the rear outputs, used a bungie cord to hold the lever forward. Worked fine the whole time. It was slow on the upstroke but worked fine for the pound stroke. Please keep your hands out of the way!! Had a helper slide his fingers over the top of a post, now we call him stubby..

/ Shaver HD-8 post drive and return line on L4701 #8  
I have some info for you Harley Rob. I bought an HD-8 & have a Kubota L3901. Timco Horse & Farm Supply in OK has the Shaver Adapter (s) for the return hose. I wasn't about to stuff ah rag around the hose. I just ordered RETURN ADAPTER SM-62-R $70.00. THE GAL CAN CHECK IF IT WILL FIT YOUR KUBOTA L 4701 I BELIEVE YOU HAVE. HERE IS THE PHONE NUMBER 866-991-2220 AND THEY HAVE A WEBSITE. HOPE YOU GET ONE.
R/BRUCE S. SMITH HERE IN PA.

/ Shaver HD-8 post drive and return line on L4701 #9  

Fallon can you call me 717-926-1299 I'm having ah heck of a time hooking up Shaver HD8 to my Kubota 3901
.R\ Bruce

/ Shaver HD-8 post drive and return line on L4701 #10  
Fallon can you call me 717-926-1299 I'm having ah heck of a time hooking up Shaver HD8 to my Kubota 3901
.R\ Bruce
I havent ever owned a post pounder, so I wont be able to help beyond generalities. I did own a L3200, which is more or less the same as your L3901 minus emissions and a few HP.