Using a T&T kit With a Rear Mount Snowthrower

/ Using a T&T kit With a Rear Mount Snowthrower #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
After a heavy snowfall, when plowing becomes ineffective due to high snowbanks, I'll use my Woods RM74 snowthrower to clear portions of a mile long gravel and dirt road. As anyone who uses a snowthrower on a rough surface knows, picking up gravel and loose debris is a constant problem. In my case, it frequently shears pins and is the major cause of implement wear. In the past, I've set the height adjustment and top link length so the snowthrower rides a couple of inches above the "average" surface level. I then used the 3 point hitch to raise the implement when it started picking up debris. Doing this eliminates the float action by raising the implement off the ground. Snow then builds up under the unit, raising it further off the ground. This caused uneven results and required a second pass over the same ground. Frequent stops to adjust the height and top link length were required.

Quite by accident, I discovered a time saving solution to the problem. When setting up the snowthrower during the recent northeast blizzard, I couldn't find the proper length top link. Instead, I used the hydraulic top link cylinder from my T&T kit. By keeping my hand on the cylinder control valve, I was able to quickly adjust the angle and height of the cutting edge without lifting the unit off the ground or getting off the machine to make adjustments.

Many here may already know this but I thought I would share my experience. It's just another example of the versatility of a T&T kit.

/ Using a T&T kit With a Rear Mount Snowthrower #2  
Is the RM74 wide enough for your MX? I'm going to get a rear snowblower later this year and was going to get a 84" wide unit for my MX so it would be wider than my rear track. I have R4 tires and the rear wheels are set so the width is close to 74" wide measuring between the outer sidewalls.

/ Using a T&T kit With a Rear Mount Snowthrower #3  
Perfect use of a hyd toplink, one of the main reason I have one. I do not have a full T&T, only a hyd toplink.

Another easy solution for the snowblower is to set the skid shoes with about 2" of clearance which eliminates most if not all of the digging in. Any vehicle suitable for winter driving will easily negotiate 2" of snow.

/ Using a T&T kit With a Rear Mount Snowthrower #4  
Same concept with the BB. Adjusting the top link adjusts cut depth or amount of material dispensed.
Nice trick to know nonetheless. Thank you for sharing!

/ Using a T&T kit With a Rear Mount Snowthrower
Is the RM74 wide enough for your MX? I'm going to get a rear snowblower later this year and was going to get a 84" wide unit for my MX so it would be wider than my rear track. I have R4 tires and the rear wheels are set so the width is close to 74" wide measuring between the outer sidewalls.

The RM74 is just slightly wider than the 73+" track width on the MX5800. It works reasonably well but the R4 tires occasionally scrape the sides of the cut when doing a turn. The problem would be worse if I used rear tire chains.
I bought the RM74 originally for use with my old L3430 which had a 64 inch track. Were I buying one now, with the added HP of the MX, I would definitely get an 84". At this point, rather than buy a wider unit, I plan to weld or bolt on wider side flairs to gain a couple of inches. It seems to me I saw a kit somewhere for that purpose. In any case, it's an easy fabrication job.

/ Using a T&T kit With a Rear Mount Snowthrower #6  
The RM74 is just slightly wider than the 73+" track width on the MX5800. It works reasonably well but the R4 tires occasionally scrape the sides of the cut when doing a turn. The problem would be worse if I used rear tire chains.
I bought the RM74 originally for use with my old L3430 which had a 64 inch track. Were I buying one now, with the added HP of the MX, I would definitely get an 84". At this point, rather than buy a wider unit, I plan to weld or bolt on wider side flairs to gain a couple of inches. It seems to me I saw a kit somewhere for that purpose. In any case, it's an easy fabrication job.

Thanks for the info. I use chains so a 74" will be too narrow. The side flairs sounds like a great idea.