Kubota BX 24 Broken Plastic Hood

/ Kubota BX 24 Broken Plastic Hood #1  

turkeyvulture

I have wood log dropping out of bucket onto hood syndrome, resulting in hole in plastic hood but kept the 3 pieces that came out. I want to glue them in and put some fiberglass on the back. But, what is this plastic and what sticks to it? I tried super glue (no), acrylic cement (cause I had some, no). Anyone try gluing to, fiberglassing to, or repainting one of these?

/ Kubota BX 24 Broken Plastic Hood #2  
Not sure what to use but a body shop should have something.

/ Kubota BX 24 Broken Plastic Hood #3  
I have a friend in Michigan that does fiberglass work i'll try to ask him what he uses.

/ Kubota BX 24 Broken Plastic Hood #4  
I'm thinking what about supporting the back of the pieces with some contact paper? Then just Gorilla Glue the pieces together. That G Glue is strong stuff.

/ Kubota BX 24 Broken Plastic Hood #5  
I am one of many with the same problem. I purchased a plastic Welder from Harbor Freight.
"1300 Watt Plastic Welding Kit with Air Motor and Temperature Adjustment" for $64.99 less 20% with one of their super coupons.
Have not gotten to try it yet. I will report back when I do.
Plastic Welding Kit

Good Luck

/ Kubota BX 24 Broken Plastic Hood #8  
Broke one of the rops knobs on a tree so I ordered a replacement then JBWelded the parts back together until the new one arrived. I didn't figure the JB would hold up to the tightening force on the knob. But you know what? Yep the new on is still in the parts bin and the JBWelded part still hangin in there. It's been several years.

So that's what I would try first. I always put it on thick and let it flow into and around the parts then don't touch it for at least 24 hours. The plastic might be thick enough to drill a couple of holes for reinforcing rods/finish nails as you glue it back together too. hth

/ Kubota BX 24 Broken Plastic Hood #9  
Cyanoacrylate (super glue). You can get Loctite version that bonds better than the Walmart stuff. Gorilla Glue does a good job as well. There are some two part epoxies for plastic as well, but In my experience they don't any better of a job and require mixing and wait times to use.
Your still prbly going to have to sand and paint to make it look good again.

/ Kubota BX 24 Broken Plastic Hood #10  
I have substantial experience repairing plastic parts, for a living.

Based on previous conversations on this subject, the plastic used here seems to be polypropylene, or something with similar characteristics.

These plastics are very oily. Therefore, most attempts to simply glue them together fail.

It also does not "weld" well either.

Fiberglass resin, is not a good choice at all.

There are some great commercial products, for gluing these plastics. But, homeowners can't cost effectively use them, or dispense them.

I will tell you how you can do it at home, without spending a fortune.

Go to a NAPA, or other auto parts store, and buy a regular metal Fuel Tank Repair kit. (Around $14).

These kits contain all the materials you need to glue a small 2"x4" area.

You could purchase more fiberglass cloth, or use fiberglass drywall tape, and possibly stretch it out to 4"x4".

You will need additional kits if it's larger than that.

The kit should contain, a liquid 2 part epoxy, some cloth, a brush, and some emery paper.

Dry fit the pieces, and make sure they fit in the hole. Sand any edges necessary, to get them to fit.

Make sure all parts are de-greased.

Sand the back side of all pieces you want to apply glue to, with coarse paper, Aprox. 80 grit, or similar.

Using a lit propane torch, pass the flame over the areas you want to glue, several times. You do not need to heat the pieces up, they do melt at a low temperature. Just pass the flame over them at a slow to moderate rate, to burn off the oil on the surfaces.

Fit the pieces together, and use tape, on the outside, to hold them if necessary.

Mix the epoxy, as directed, and apply a thin coat on the back, in the area of the repair. Place some of the fiberglass cloth over the wet glue. Apply additional glue over the cloth, and with minimal brushing, smooth it out.

More glue and cloth can be applied over that, or in additional areas, if desired.

The glue will usually dry completely in about an hour.

Depending on how well you fit the pieces, it should look good from 10' away.

If you wanted to do a full repair, complete with painting, you would then "v" out the cracks from the outside with a grinder, pass the torch over them, and and apply glue to fill them.

When that dries, sand the area, pass the torch over it again, and apply a thin coat of filler. Sand filler, apply plastic adhesion promoter, (available at a body shop supply), and prime.

Sand entire hood using, a white Scotch Brite pad, and soft scrub cleanser. Rinse, dry, apply adhesion promoter to entire hood, and paint.

These fuel tank repair kits, are also great for fixing holes in fuel tanks.