Float Position?

/ Float Position? #1  

Indian MC

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
I need to take out my 2601 this am to clean out knee deep plowed wet snow in front of my Driveway.
I'm trying to find out how to float my FEL.
What I see in my FEL manual is to jam the controller all the way forward home.

Is this correct?

Thank you!

/ Float Position? #2  
Yep, push the joy stick forward beyond normal lowering of the loader.

/ Float Position? #4  
You would be better off if possible when plowing with your loader, to learn to keep the front bucket up just a touch off of the drive to keep weight on the front wheels for better traction, and way better steering. You will have much more control of your tractor doing it this way. I do all of my plowing with my loader, and do it this way even on my paved drive. Good luck.

/ Float Position? #5  
Yes that is how you get float . But don't use it for this app . You will be pealing your nose off of the steering wheel .

/ Float Position? #6  
When the lever is in float position it doesn't spring load back to center. If it hasn't been used much it takes a firm push to get past the detent.

/ Float Position? #7  
My FEL controller/valve works the same way. Also note you should still have curl when in float on the lift cylinders.

/ Float Position? #8  
Ya, all modern loaders float when you jam the lever all the way forward.

But you don't want to float the loader when plowing snow. You want a minimal amount of weight (just the blade) floating. If you float the whole loader it puts to much weight on the blade & it digs into the gravel. Also the articulation point for loaders is high. So if any obstacle or even normal plowing resistance will cause the rear wheels to lift the front axle off the ground.

You need to setup your plow to articulate before or where it mounts to your loader.

/ Float Position? #9  
What is the main purpose of the Float Position?

/ Float Position? #10  
What is the main purpose of the Float Position?

The main reason would be to allow the loader to rest on the ground as you move forward or backward. This aids in smoothing the ground without being overly aggressive.
The plow/snow float is an age old discussion. If the ground is frozen it's fine. If the ground is thawed it can dig in as noted above.