Oil pan bolt torque

/ Oil pan bolt torque #11  
Thanks for the info, so in the manual it lists a 14mm type 7 bolt should be tightened at 91.2 to 108 ft-lbs which doesn't seem close to right, so I was trying to figure out what I am misunderstanding. I tested the bolts that were still on the oil pan with a torque wrench to figure out that torque they are at before removing them and they seem to be around 35 ft-lbs.

Please don't torque it that much!!!!

36-40 ft-lbs is plenty. Use a new crush washer also.

Regards, Fred

/ Oil pan bolt torque
Thanks guys for all the advice, the bolt definitely takes a 14mm socket, I went out and double checked it. I think I will go around 35 lbs ft-lbs. I didn't think about ordering crush washers, I wonder if the auto parts store would sell them?
Thanks again

/ Oil pan bolt torque #13  
Auto parts has them. Bring the old one in.

35ft/lbs for what part? The pan bolts or the drain plug?

/ Oil pan bolt torque
Auto parts has them. Bring the old one in.

35ft/lbs for what part? The pan bolts or the drain plug?

For the pan bolts. Thanks

/ Oil pan bolt torque #15  
Man... I would've never guessed 35ft-lbs. That seems really high!!! No need. Also sounds like very big bolts for an oil pan. What is the thread diameter? Wondering if thread and socket size are getting mixed up here.

/ Oil pan bolt torque #16  
" the bolt definitely takes a 14mm socket, I went out and double checked it"...

LIke was mentioned Before... If it takes a 14mm socket, It IS NOT a 14mm bolt!
Bolt size is NOT measured at the head of the bolt, It is always measured by the diameter of the bolt, NOT the size of the head.

/ Oil pan bolt torque #17  
Pan bolts don't get 35 ft-lbs. The drain plug does.

/ Oil pan bolt torque #18  
I just did the oil pan on my L3600. I torqued all bolts to 25 ft lbs on the recommendation of some guy on the internet and because it felt about right. I torqued from center and worked my way to the outside. Felt right, looked right, holds oil and doesn't leak or weep a bit. I think 35 ft lbs seems a bit much.

Good luck.

/ Oil pan bolt torque
Man... I would've never guessed 35ft-lbs. That seems really high!!! No need. Also sounds like very big bolts for an oil pan. What is the thread diameter? Wondering if thread and socket size are getting mixed up here.

I'm wondering if thats where I am confused also, I was assuming they where talking about socket size. So I looked again at that manual it says 14mm is the diameter so that must be what I was missing so I think that was the answer !! 14mm would be a big bolt.

/ Oil pan bolt torque
I'm wondering if thats where I am confused also, I was assuming they where talking about socket size. So I looked again at that manual it says 14mm is the diameter so that must be what I was missing so I think that was the answer !! 14mm would be a big bolt.

By the way, thanks again everyone for the help ! This was an expensive lesson, I couldn't handle my tractor being broken down so I went out and ordered a new L4060, guess I will keep the l3430 for mowing and the new one for digging.

Last edited: