Oil & Fuel Kubota L3301 Full Hydro Oil Change at 50 hours?

/ Kubota L3301 Full Hydro Oil Change at 50 hours? #1  

ProjectKing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 FEL, Kubota L3301 FEL/BH, Ford Golden Jubilee, Honda Foreman 450ES, Polaris Ranger 400, Kubota ZD326, etc, etc
Hello,

I have a L3301 with FEL and BH. It is HST. Tractor runs great... but the hydrostatic transmission seems very noisy (hydro pump whine).

In an effort to quiet the HST whine I'm considering doing a full hydro oil change at 50 hours... it has 25 hours on it now. Normal 50 hour service is hydro filter change only.

So has anyone done a similar service? And if so has it reduced HST noise level? I would be switching to Super UDT2 Kubota hydro fluid.

Thanks for the help! :)

/ Kubota L3301 Full Hydro Oil Change at 50 hours? #2  
My L3200 (same exact machine as your L3301 minus tier 4 emissions on the engine) didn't change noise level going from the factory fill to SUDT2 at the 300 hour service. HSTs are just kind of whiney by nature. I used the shop vac on the fill port trick to avoid spilling anything doing the 50 hour filter change.

Not sure if factory is SUDT or SUDT2, but I didn't notice a difference in any aspect putting in 2. I hear SUDT & 2 really only differ in cold weather performance, which is an issue here in Colorado.

I wouldn't recommend wasting the $$$ on unnecessary fluid.

/ Kubota L3301 Full Hydro Oil Change at 50 hours? #3  
I just went back from SUDT2 to regular UDT and I do not notice a difference in sound or function. At 50 hours I changed out the factory fluid to SUDT2 and wasted that money and oil (in my opinion). These machines just whine... (my cynical mind, kubota added the whine just like the jerky hitch to sell more Grand L's).

/ Kubota L3301 Full Hydro Oil Change at 50 hours? #4  
I think you are going to find out that whine is normal and there isn't anything you can do to change that. This isn't the first thread where it has been discussed and the replies where the same. Someone also mentioned they thought their new Kubota whined louder than the J.D. it replaced.

/ Kubota L3301 Full Hydro Oil Change at 50 hours? #5  
I just went back from SUDT2 to regular UDT and I do not notice a difference in sound or function. At 50 hours I changed out the factory fluid to SUDT2 and wasted that money and oil (in my opinion). These machines just whine... (my cynical mind, kubota added the whine just like the jerky hitch to sell more Grand L's).

My new L4060 HSTC isn't really any quieter than my old L3200 HST if I leave the cab doors open...

Also I think fixing the jerky hitch is the only other thing they did other than emissions moving from the 00 series to the 01s. The couple of 01s I've been on were much smoother than the 3pt on my L3200. Not that my L3200 was horrible, it was just wasn't silky smooth when lifting a load small distances.

/ Kubota L3301 Full Hydro Oil Change at 50 hours?
My L3200 (same exact machine as your L3301 minus tier 4 emissions on the engine) didn't change noise level going from the factory fill to SUDT2 at the 300 hour service. HSTs are just kind of whiney by nature. I used the shop vac on the fill port trick to avoid spilling anything doing the 50 hour filter change.

Not sure if factory is SUDT or SUDT2, but I didn't notice a difference in any aspect putting in 2. I hear SUDT & 2 really only differ in cold weather performance, which is an issue here in Colorado.

I wouldn't recommend wasting the $$$ on unnecessary fluid.

Very good info! I appreciate the feed back. Its actually more quiet when it's cold.

I have not heard of the shop vac trick! I'll have to look into that. The filter change with a full load of fluid is always an adventure!

/ Kubota L3301 Full Hydro Oil Change at 50 hours?

Well if it's any comfort to you I won't change my fluid based on your experience. I appreciate you sharing info with me.

I think you are right about Kubota making the machines whine more. I have a grand L but it's not hst. That thing is super smooth. The budget l's do make a bunch of racket. I got rid of a L2501 because it's exhaust was so loud. Between the hst and the lack of muffler the thing drove me nuts. Lol

/ Kubota L3301 Full Hydro Oil Change at 50 hours? #8  
...Between the hst and the lack of muffler the thing drove me nuts. Lol
Invest in good hearing protection... (with music!!) Down side of hearing protection, backing over a ladder without hearing it... top link coming undone and bouncing on the PTO shaft for a good long while without hearing it (hydraulic top link doing the same...) The list goes on and on... :mur:

Have not heard about the loud muffler on the L2501... Good to know.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3301 Full Hydro Oil Change at 50 hours? #9  
Been awhile now, but changed fluids on everything at the 50 hour marks, L3130 had a metallic tint to the fluid that settled out in the wash tub full of oil over a several week period and noticed better GST shifting, BX2230 little less whine, RTV1100 better hill starting capability and G2160 not much difference.

If Kubota has changed there cleanliness in assembly then good, but have never liked the idea of the small non filterable fines created by gears and other things breaking in to be left in the oil until the 300 or 400 hour mark.

David

/ Kubota L3301 Full Hydro Oil Change at 50 hours? #10  
Hello,

I have a L3301 with FEL and BH. It is HST. Tractor runs great... but the hydrostatic transmission seems very noisy (hydro pump whine).

In an effort to quiet the HST whine I'm considering doing a full hydro oil change at 50 hours... it has 25 hours on it now. Normal 50 hour service is hydro filter change only.

So has anyone done a similar service? And if so has it reduced HST noise level? I would be switching to Super UDT2 Kubota hydro fluid.

Thanks for the help! :)

When I test drove all three (the L3301, the L3901, and the L4701), the L4701 HST was noticeably quieter than the other two HSTs. Not sure why, but it was, and it was factored into my decision on which one to purchase.