Oops!

/ Oops! #1  

snmhanson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Well, call me an idiot if you want but then please tell me what to do. I used my B7800 last Saturday afternoon and got the tank down to about a quarter full. I had about a gallon of deisel left in the gas can so I emptied it into the tractor and put it up with my other empty can waiting to be filled - notice I didn't say anything about putting the cap back on the Kub's fuel tank /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. We were running late for a Mother's Day dinner and in the rush of things I somehow forgot to put it back on. Well, I was showing my tractor to a local farmer today and he mentioned that it may be a good idea to not leave the cap off the tank like that. So, my tractor was sitting there without the cap on the tank for a couple days with a roughly half-full tank of gas. We got a little bit of very light rain but nothing much during that time. It has been very windy the last couple of days though and there was a lot of dust being blown around so some could have conceivably gotten in the tank. Do I need to worry about draining the tank and replacing the fuel or should it be ok? If I do need to drain the tank how what's the best way to do that and will I need to bleed the fuel line then? My gut tells me that I am probably ok this time but as a newbie I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks for the help.

Matt

/ Oops! #2  
Does your tractor have a water separator? If so, just open it up and see if any water comes out.

I doubt that much dust got into your tank, but I would have to believe your fuel filter should handle that just fine.

/ Oops! #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My gut tells me that I am probably ok this time but as a newbie I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks for the help.)</font>

I'd probably add a water dispersant to a few gallons of diesel and dump
that in the tank. Check the fuel filter for any sediment or water.

/ Oops! #4  
My reaction would be to drain fuel and after about two more tanks of fuel replace the fuel filter. Fuel injection pumps are considerably more expensive than 5 gallons of diesel and a filter!

/ Oops! #5  
Can't say for sure, but I think the B7800 has the same fuel filter as the B2710 and if so, I'd just keep a close watch on that fuel filter to see if there's any water in it. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. If there is water in it, I'd disconnect the line just before the fuel filter and let it the fuel in the tank drain out.

/ Oops! #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So, my tractor was sitting there without the cap on the tank for a couple days with a roughly half-full tank of gas. )</font> Hmmm, I thought the B7800 was a diesel engine... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know - I know, too picky!

It could be worse... you might have actually gotten gas in there. You should be fine checking the filters - mine are pretty easy to view.

Good Luck with it!

/ Oops! #7  
Put some diesel fuel conditioner in the tank and fill it to the top. Run the tractor and if there is any contamination or water in the tank, the filters will find it before it gets to the injector pump. If you find water in the filters, then disconnect the line just before the filter and drain the fuel into a clean container using one of the fuel water separator funnels made specifically for the purpose. Then put the fuel back into the tractor and a new filter and you will be all set. If this was winter time, I would be concerned with the water freezing and causing a ruptured filter, but since we finally have warm weather, I doubt that you will have a problem. Consider this a lesson for the future. We all make mistakes and if this is your only one, consider yourself lucky.