Kubota mini ex question

/ Kubota mini ex question #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Machine 2015 KX91-3 (300hrs)
Last night I was digging and in a little bit of mud. I was moving a very large stump around and noticed that when I went to move the machine my right track would not spin. The left would spin and slip but not the right. I went to back up and everything worked as normal. I went up a STEEP hill and both tracks seemed to pull the same and the machine went up it.
I bought the machine used and it seems the tracks never had a ton of power but I really don't have anything to compare it too. I read where people mention the motors are not super strong but I was not sure if I need to have this checked or not. If you take it to Kubota and they test it and it tests fine is that covered under warranty or do they normally charge you?
Thanks
code54, Yesterday at 2:50 AM #1

/ Kubota mini ex question #2  
I'm not sure about the warranty question, but I can tell you that my KX-057 excavator feels really weak when moving on anything but hard level ground. I've used a few other mini excavators and they felt under-powered as well. I guess it's just the nature of these machines.

/ Kubota mini ex question #3  
My Cat mini is the same - one side has more power than the other. I think this is common until you get to the large machines with all piston pumps and motifs. Mine has a stack of 3 gear pumps driving mostly gear or gerotor motors except for the piston track drive motors.

/ Kubota mini ex question #4  
Both excavators I have owned had full power to both tracks, a 12 ton Hitachi and now a 6 ton Yanmar. I don't know a lot about Kubota but having one weak track doesn't seem normal.

/ Kubota mini ex question #5  
Try making sure you didnt press the 2 speed button bu mistake. Its the green button on the dozer handle. I own a rental company and thats the #1 call i get.

/ Kubota mini ex question
Thanks all. I am thinking between the mud and junk that maybe part of the issue. I have a bunch to do over the next few weeks so I am going to keep and eye on it and if it acts up I can always run it over to the dealer to be tested.
Thanks for the heads up on the speed switch. I am pretty certain I didn't bump it but can see how that could be an issue.

/ Kubota mini ex question #7  
If one track was up against a rock or was a little deeper in the mud it would "stall" and not allow that track to move. The newer machines seem to have a weaker track drive than older machines. I believe this is to protect the drive line from a catastrophic failure. Ive run a Kubota 55 and a 57 as well as a couple of new Takeuchi minis and that all feel underpowered when it comes to tracking. I don't think anything is wrong with your machine, but it isn't hard to change the final drive oil to give it a look either, i would personally change it more often than not anyway, its easy to do and is cheap insurance for your final drives...

/ Kubota mini ex question
Thanks Tags. I think you are right. Used it for about 6 hrs the other day and was working on a steep hill and moved all around without any issues. Backfilled some holes on the flat without issue so I tend to think I was just "stuck" a little bit.
I did the final drives (and every fluid and filter on the machine) at 230hr (last summer) and just hit 300 hr the other night. think I may switch it out again this summer (next 30 or so hrs). Only takes a few bucks in oil so it is cheap insurance like you mentioned! (looked good last time)
THANKS