Winches Poor man's logging winch

/ Poor man's logging winch #1  

altoonapillarrock

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I installed a Superwinch 3500 in place of the backhoe bucket on my BX24. I need to tidy up the wiring but the winch works great. I set it up so everything except the battery wires and circuit breaker in the under the dash area come off the tractor when the winch is not in use. I just use the remote to control the winch. I didn't use the ATV handlebar switch that comes with the winch for obvious reasons.
I built a wooden box for the solenoid and connections which mounts to the ROP. This comes off with 2 bolts. I will use the winch during the time of year I cut firewood. After that the bucket goes back. I used more connectors than I needed but I want the system to break down to small parts for storage.
Our property is very steep and I need to get trees up to the road to process them for firewood. Decades ago I just cut trees into pieces and humped them up to the road. I have been backing the tractor up and pulling logs with hooks on the FEL bucket. This got too exciting when I would raise the bucket up to get a better angle.
Winch $179
Adapter for 2" receiver $75
Bxpanded 2" receiver replacing bucket $129
6 ga wire and miscellaneous connectors and crimper $45

I would rather have a Wallenstein FX35, but these cost $3000+.

I just threw in a picture of our view for the heck of it. That's a cruise ship that was in the Portland shipyard for repairs. It's headed out to sea at Astoria, OR. Sometimes really steep property is worth it.

IMG_0305.JPGIMG_0295.JPGIMG_0300.JPGIMG_0302.JPGIMG_0303.JPGIMG_0297.JPGIMG_0082.JPG

Last edited:
   / Poor man's logging winch #2  
Just be careful if something gets hung up - that could put some odd forces on the a hoe that small.
Great view by the way!!!!

/ Poor man's logging winch
Just be careful if something gets hung up - that could put some odd forces on the a hoe that small.
Great view by the way!!!!

Thanks, I planned to keep both locking pins in place and set the tractor aimed right at the load. I cut the trunks into pieces. When I actually try it I will report back. This may be a bad idea.

/ Poor man's logging winch #4  
Those little superwinches are great winches for the price. I have the 4500lbs on my Mule and have used it to pull the tractor out, for the price they are sure hard to beat. I got some syn. line a while back and rewrapped it with that and so far so good. thought it maybe a bit safer if it ever breaks.

I been pulling logs up a hill here but been using chain and just hooking it on the bucket of my mini and give a pull. The problem is resetting the chain every 10-15 feet - that is a real pain. The good thing is I am only pulling them about 50 feet so it is not too bad.

Good luck on your project and stay safe!

/ Poor man's logging winch #5  
Why wouldn't you just hook a chain to the tractor and pull with it? I only see this setup being better in rare circumstances.

/ Poor man's logging winch #6  
Proceed slowly on this idea. Nothing big at first. I like creativity and hope it works. Definitely tie off the front of the tractor off.

I want to see how well the charging system holds up with the winch. I've always wanted to put one on the front for getting unstuck.

/ Poor man's logging winch #7  
Why wouldn't you just hook a chain to the tractor and pull with it? I only see this setup being better in rare circumstances.

I can see where the winch can create 5X or more the pull force that the tractor tires can create.
Keep the winch VERY low to the ground and no side pull.

That winch could easily tip over the tractor,,, even with the stabilizers down.

/ Poor man's logging winch #8  
Hi lead logging with a min Yoder is what I call it. I hope it works out well, really novel idea. If your tractor and assembly can take it, it will be great. I would reallysuggest you look at the Scribner scale book for a board feet guide, and you can transpose that into weight with some reasonable guesstimate. The Scribner book is the basis for log scaling in the Northwest.

Last edited:
   / Poor man's logging winch #9  
i have a bx24 and i am thinking this is a novel idea - but the angle of pulling forces is just going to rotate the tractor on the rear tires making the front end go up in air until the front tires is on the same plane as the wire pulling it. like everyone is saying - keep the boom down low, and keep weight in the FEL and possibly tie down the front

/ Poor man's logging winch

I have places where there is no room to back up. Our 19 acre piece has about 1.5 acre of flat and this was created by extensive bulldozing. The half mile long driveway to the house is 21 percent grade. I will set the backhoe stabilizers when I use the winch.
Lots of trees I have room to pull them out on the road. First I use my old Tundra. If I don't have space I use the BX24. I am going to try the winch in tight spots.