Ballast 2x2x2 concrete weight box

/ 2x2x2 concrete weight box #1  

Jeff Lary

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2950
Hi all quick question. I have a Kubota L2950 that I wanted a weight box for so...
I have built a real nice box that measures 2'x2'x2' that I am planning of filling with Quick Crete in a couple weeks. The box will hold 8 cu ft. Concrete weighs in at 145# per cu ft so 8cf x 145# ( and when you add the water to the mix) this comes to 1264 #. Man that sounds heavy what do you guys think? Thanks for your thoughts Jeff

/ 2x2x2 concrete weight box #2  
That is dang heavy. I would only get it to weigh what the owners manual says and my off the cuff guess would be around 700#.

I have a 45 HP JD 3720 with the factory weight box with a little extension on to get more concrete and it weighs around 750-800 and that is plenty, at least for mine. I did make a real nice weight box previously and loaded it up with rocks and concrete. I took it to the scale and it weighed in at 1500. I used it for awhile doing some loader work but I gave it to my neighbor.

I would only fill it to the point you feel comfortable with from the information in an owners manual.

/ 2x2x2 concrete weight box
Yea I am thinking the same thing. Thanks for the response , Jeff

/ 2x2x2 concrete weight box #4  
Lots of different experiences with weight boxes on TBN. My factory suggested weight is ~ 850# if I recall correctly for my 2785# FEL lift capacity. I have a ROBB that weighs 710# and extends 26" from the rear pins and it is not near enough weight for maximum FEL carrying capacity. A friend has a TYM 394 (similar tractor capacities to yours I think) with 550# weight box and it is not enough. I think 750 - 800 would be his sweet spot, along with yours.

I recently built a weight box assembly using a 15 cu' job site box with the intention of starting with a weight capacity of ~ 1250# and having room to add more weight to the box if necessary. My box weighs 1240# measured and is barely adequate for the heavy maximum FEL weights I need to carry occasionally. Having extra room to add more weight to the box occasionally to protect the front axle is helpful I think.

_EM51682.JPG_EM51685.JPG

/ 2x2x2 concrete weight box #5  
My old L3400 weighed in about 100# lighter than your L2950. and my rear lift was 2000# at the ends and 1500 @ 24" back as opposed to your 2600/1900 pound ratings.

On that tractor I carried around a 1100# 6' bushhog for weight. When I needed to be more maneuverable, I had a 1000# concrete weight. (55 gallon barrel filled to the ~50 gallon park with concrete. ~6.7 cu ft.

So my question is, what are your loader specs? I think the L3400 loader was ~1100# to max height at the pins. I am thinking your loader is probably a bit more. If it is, I think 1200# is about right and well within the lift capacity of the tractor. However since the tractor weight and frame is real similar, if you loader isnt any stronger, you can probably get by with the same 1000# that I get by with.

/ 2x2x2 concrete weight box #6  
Fill it part way with concrete and use the rest of the space for carrying things. In the rare event you need more weight, stack solid concrete blocks in the box. (Incorporate a drain tube also).

/ 2x2x2 concrete weight box #7  
1250+ # may be overkill for your tractor/ loader if your rear tires are loaded. I use around 800# on my MX5800 with beet juice in the tires. You're sure to get a lot of differing opinions here.

/ 2x2x2 concrete weight box #8  
1250+ # may be overkill for your tractor/ loader if your rear tires are loaded. I use around 800# on my MX5800 with beet juice in the tires. You're sure to get a lot of differing opinions here.

While 800# + the beat juice may keep your tires on the ground, you aint doing your front axle any favors if you are using the FEL hard.

I have basically the same tractor with a little lighter windshield washer fluid in the tires. IF Im gonna use my loader hard, I like my 1600# woods mower back there that hangs pretty far back.

We never hear of any one breaking rear axles from overloading them here on TBN. But there are several cases of front axle failures.

/ 2x2x2 concrete weight box #9  
While 800# + the beat juice may keep your tires on the ground, you aint doing your front axle any favors if you are using the FEL hard.

I have basically the same tractor with a little lighter windshield washer fluid in the tires. IF Im gonna use my loader hard, I like my 1600# woods mower back there that hangs pretty far back.

We never hear of any one breaking rear axles from overloading them here on TBN. But there are several cases of front axle failures.

Agreed. I have loaded rears and a ballast box that is about 750 lb and it obvious that it isn't enough when working on the upper end of the LA844 loader capacity. I install the backhoe for heavy FEL loads and that feels about right.

/ 2x2x2 concrete weight box #10  
Difference in opinions? Yep. Loaded rear tires will aid traction and stability but do nothing for taking any of the weight load off the front axles.