BX Question.. What type grease?????

/ BX Question.. What type grease????? #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
It is that time of the year again and I was wondering what most BX owners were using for grease on the mower deck spindles of their BX mower decks? Also, if you have the mower deck wheel modification by MowerAxle, what grease are you using on the mower deck axles? While we are in the grease department, what do you use on the loader and or the backhoe attachment? Did I miss anything???

/ BX Question.. What type grease????? #2  
I use Shell Retinax HD grease........I have used this Ep grease for years on my stumpcutters and it is a very good grease with excellent EP properties..high load carrying ability, oxidatin stability and rust protection, very strong metal surface adherence. Outstanding water washout resistance (EP-extra pressure)

stumper

/ BX Question.. What type grease????? #3  
I use Citgo Mystik JT-6. I use it because some guy walked up to the grease display at TSC while I was there and grabbed 4 tubes and said "this is good stuff". How's that for a scientific selection process?

John

/ BX Question.. What type grease????? #4  
Hi John,

I saw a guy at the counter paying for a case of that stuff. I almost wandered back to get myself some but the checkout line was too long at the time /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Dave...

/ BX Question.. What type grease????? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( While we are in the grease department, what do you use on the loader and or the backhoe attachment? )</font>

Kubota tends to specify a "Multi-purpose grease" which isn't very
specific. I prefer to use a grease which contains molybdenum disulfide
which is intended for high pressure applications. It can be found nearly
anywhere lubricants are sold and usually contains "moly" in the item's
name.

/ BX Question.. What type grease????? #6  
Another vote for the Retinax. I also use the black Shell MP farm type grease.

/ BX Question.. What type grease????? #7  
I use red wolfs head grease on the deck and tractor.

I use some sort of black moly stuff on the loader and on my clothes and on my hands, and on the kids, and on the floor, and on the.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ BX Question.. What type grease????? #8  
I use that EP-2 lithium based, from Sam's Club.

/ BX Question.. What type grease????? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I use some sort of black moly stuff on the loader and on my clothes and on my hands, and on the kids, and on the floor, and on the.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )</font>

Fortunately it is as tenacious on the tractor bushings.
I found a simple way to tame it from getting elsewhere
was just to have a small box of sawdust with me when I
hit the 40 or so zerks every 10 hours. Dry wash your
hands in the sawdust when you inevitably get nailed with
a misfire and toss it when you are done.

/ BX Question.. What type grease????? #10  
Keeping things greased is probably more important then what specific grease you might use as long as you don't mix the base component. Example Marine grease and Moly. Marine grease is and Aluminum Complex Moly a Lithium.

I found a more specific reccommendation as follows:

Use good quality E.P. (extreme pressure) grease meeting NLGI Grade-2 specs with an operating range of plus 325 degrees F to minus 10 degrees F. Try not to mix brands because different thickeners are used which may be incompatible and have lower heat resistance and shear stability. The most recognizable unsatisfactory mixtures, are those involving lithium and sodium greases, and clay and most soap greases. Don't mix synthetic and natural greases. A web search on grease compatability will provide a table.