Diff lock usage

/ Diff lock usage #1  

RaydaKub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
I may be doing some brush clearing this weekend on a small hillside. It doesnt appear steep enough to worry about any roll over. I've got a rachet rake. Any time you use a bucket on a hillside though, you can slide the front end downhill. So here's my question. This isn't a low traction situation, would using the diff lock here help avoid the slide down the hill? Or would this be putting too much stress on the lock pin?

/ Diff lock usage #2  
Definitely won't overload the diff lock.

I use diff lock when mowing on steep side slopes with the JD. Helps a lot.

/ Diff lock usage #3  
Should the diff lock remain "locked" while the tires are still turning or do you need to hold it down the entire time? I have a hard time keeping mine pressed down.

/ Diff lock usage
Definitely won't overload the diff lock.

I use diff lock when mowing on steep side slopes with the JD. Helps a lot.
I do also, but I would suggest that this is a low traction situation. I'm not worried about traction, just side hill drift.

/ Diff lock usage
Should the diff lock remain "locked" while the tires are still turning or do you need to hold it down the entire time? I have a hard time keeping mine pressed down.
Have to keep it pushed down all the time, and I certainly want to make sure it isn't only partially engaged.

/ Diff lock usage #6  
Your split brakes are probably better in this application.

/ Diff lock usage #7  
Your split brakes are probably better in this application.
x2 split brakes one for left rear tire and one for right rear tire. some folks call them steering brakes for a reason, more so when working with FEL and the front wheels come off the ground or little to no wait on front tires to maintain traction.

/ Diff lock usage #8  
For what it's worth: I suspect that at it's previous home, someone drove my used MF 261 with the diff lock stuck in the "on" position. The tires were foam filled and when I made a turn they "plowed" and the tread/ribs showed that they were comming apart from the rest of the tire. I got the diff lock unstuck and replaced the tires before the treads came all the way off.

/ Diff lock usage #9  
I do also, but I would suggest that this is a low traction situation. I'm not worried about traction, just side hill drift.

My example isn't "low traction", it's "side hill drift" control

/ Diff lock usage #10  
In a side hill drift situation the wheel brakes can be used. Just understand they are counter-productive. The diff lock isn't.