Loader Leaking lift cylinder LA450 Front End Loader

/ Leaking lift cylinder LA450 Front End Loader #1  

KubotaDoug

Tractor
Kubota L2950
My local Kubota dealer won't reseal my right lift cylinder. They replace $500.00.
Is there a secret to removing the end cap? The cylinder is still pinned in the loader to hold while I break cap loose with 24" pipe wrench it doesn't want to budge. My next step is the blue wrench (heat).
If everything goes bad is there a good aftermarket cylinder available?

/ Leaking lift cylinder LA450 Front End Loader #2  
You've got a perfect opportunity for a little business for your nearest hydraulic service shop. I think it was about $75 for my shop to rebuild my loader cylinders. I don't think I could have done it cheaper myself. They had all the right special jigs and tools. They used aftermarket seals that were way cheaper than OEM. Tested them after the rebuild and guaranteed their work. For the best recommendations, call a local grading service and ask who they use for hydraulic work.

/ Leaking lift cylinder LA450 Front End Loader
Thanks for the reply. I have a hydraulic shop close by that helped me out with a portable log splitter. They said they could set me up with seals for this cylinder. Thought I would break it down and see if it was just seals. Thanks!

/ Leaking lift cylinder LA450 Front End Loader #4  
The tractor before starting the repair
100_4649_zps12dxrtqb.jpg

Showing the leaks
100_4650_zpsrkggljic.jpg

To remove the cylinders I just had to remove these bolts and slide the pin out.
100_4651_zpseaxvu08o.jpg

Front of leaking cylinder
100_4653_zpssxcrdd5m.jpg

Disassembling the cylinder
100_4652_zpsjes043lv.jpg

Removing the hydraulic rod
100_4654_zpslzu8who3.jpg

Rod removed
100_4655_zpsd8oxb0pn.jpg

This is the rebuild kit
100_4657_zpscglapxy8.jpg

Piston removed by removing the nut
100_4658_zpsdheq0siy.jpg

Piston end….the light color ring is the seal. It’s a pain to install
100_4656_zpszjf9a4c7.jpg

Under the piston ring is a rubber o ring
100_4663_zpsoxot4m8a.jpg

End cap with replacement O rings
100_4659_zps64rd5yw8.jpg

Seal installed inside the cap. It’s a tight fit. The seal is the light color ring inside
100_4661_zpsnp3bv2y3.jpg

Ok thanks!! Time to try some heat on the steel cylinder. My pipe wrench just wants to chew up the the aluminum cap.

/ Leaking lift cylinder LA450 Front End Loader #6  
I used a pipe wrench and it worked fine but the proper wrench is a spanner wrench. Might try buying one of them.

The only hard part of the job is replacing the tan colored seal on the piston. The rest of it is easy. I damaged one of the kits I used and had to buy another one. The kits were about $25 each.

Well I was not successful at getting the cylinder apart. I used a 36” pipe wrench & heated the end with a acetylene torch. Got hot enough to melt the end seals. Took it to hydraulic shop. They got it apart. Well long story short the cylinder is now a boat anchor. Internal corrosion & galled threads.
A new OEM cylinder from local Kabota dealer is $900. So I’m looking for an aftermarket cylinder that’ll work. Does anyone have a source?
The hydraulic shop can get a replacement but both ends have cross tubes and the back cross tube is wider than loader attachment. I can shave the cross tube to fit then there goes any warranty.
I’d appreciate any suggestions.

/ Leaking lift cylinder LA450 Front End Loader #8  
That sux. No chance to chase the cylinder threads and maybe replace just the cap?

That sux. No chance to chase the cylinder threads and maybe replace just the cap?

Half threads damaged severely on cylinder and deep scores on cylinder wall. Piston is damaged too.
Shop has new cylinder to use but the rear attachment is same size as front attachment. So the Rear has to be milled to fit Kabota mount, front mount is ok. Suppose Kabota did this to make you buy the $900 cylinder. The aftermarket cylinder is $248 + milling.
Thanks for your response!

/ Leaking lift cylinder LA450 Front End Loader #10  
Amazon also sells an adjustable spanner for reasonable bucks.