Kubota BX25 has weak HST power

/ Kubota BX25 has weak HST power #1  

check

Elite Member
Dorset (cottage country) and Toronto, Ontario, Can
Tractor
2009 Kubota BX25
Hello, guys, my 2009 Kubota BX25 seems to have lost a LOT of power to drive up even a slight incline, especially in reverse. For example, I was back dragging some very light, sandy soil up a VERY gentle slope, and even in Low (turtle) the tractor simply could not handle it. (And even when I lifted the FEL right off the ground, the tractor was barely moving.) Also, when driving forward in high with the HST pedal all the way down on a flat road, I don't seem to get the same speed I used to get.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks,

James

/ Kubota BX25 has weak HST power #3  
That video was very interesting, thanks !!! I also find that the forward reverse pedal (when you lift the rubber carpet around the unit you will see there is a spring pin that can work its way out that joins the pedal to the shaft, I find when I see I am losing power , I lift the carpet and drive the spring pin back in with a nail punch and hammer ( two minute job) and it is back to normal for a month or more (still haven't figured a solution on how to keep that spring pin in better (its about quarter inch diameter and sometimes an inch sticking out)

/ Kubota BX25 has weak HST power #4  
That video was very interesting, thanks !!! I also find that the forward reverse pedal (when you lift the rubber carpet around the unit you will see there is a spring pin that can work its way out that joins the pedal to the shaft, I find when I see I am losing power , I lift the carpet and drive the spring pin back in with a nail punch and hammer ( two minute job) and it is back to normal for a month or more (still haven't figured a solution on how to keep that spring pin in better (its about quarter inch diameter and sometimes an inch sticking out)

You are welcome. Paul Short has numerous helpful and insightful videos. I suggest you subscribe to him. He has a lot to teach! I'll have to take a look at that spring pin. Sounds like it might need to be replaced or maybe just degreased? I know that it's common in firearms for those spring pins/roll pins to get worn down and need replacement.

/ Kubota BX25 has weak HST power #5  
Now I've got to go check that linkage too. Tractor is moving fine, but still merits a check. Thanks!

One more possibility that happened to me. Sudden loss of full speed forward. Small pebble had somehow ended up against the pedal pivot under the pedal and was blocking full travel. Checked everything and all was connected as it should be. Just about gave up - then spotted the pebble.

FWIW,
Z.

/ Kubota BX25 has weak HST power #6  
I would recommend that you check all you hydraulic hoses. I had a back hoe hose rubbing on the frame and it finally sprung a leak. This is the only complaint I would ever have against my dealer, as the tractor came new from there to me.

/ Kubota BX25 has weak HST power #8  
Check the condition of your air/fuel filters too--Had that happen on my BX23 and the air filter was clogged from moving a tri-axle load of dusty limestone--Just a suggestion.

/ Kubota BX25 has weak HST power #9  
I was bumming with my dealer's shop foreman awhile back and we were discussing common HST problems. He said that a very common problem is folks wipe out the HST cooling fan and do not realize it till other problems crop up like yours. He said on a hot day under loads like brush hogging the HST fluid gets way too hot (over 210 degrees) for too long and parts start to wear and break down. It is an expensive rebuild of the HST as a lot of parts get affected and some replaced for insurance. I've heard KTAC will pay the freight if you can tie the too together and indicate a casualty type situation that destroyed the fan. Worth checking. He also said HST fluid changes color under heat stress; good indicator of heat as nothing else contaminates it unless introduced from outside. I am looking at a way to get a temp probe into the HST, any anybody done that?.

Ron

/ Kubota BX25 has weak HST power
Ok, it looks like Paul Short was right. It is a missing nut on the linkage from the HST go pedal. The nut is a 5/16" machine thread, so I just need to pick one up and put it on, either with the nylon thread lock, or some goop, or one of those flange nuts that comes with its own Version of a lockwasher.

Will have to remove the Bro-Tek skid plates in order to get proper access. No problem, they are just bolt on..