M8540 narrow front axle locked up

/ M8540 narrow front axle locked up #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
My m8540 narrows mfwd axle locked up on me while driving between farms. Was in 2wd doing 18mph when bad noises and screeching tires happened. I was able to drive it in low but you hear the bolts in a tin can noise if you pick up any speed. Everything felt cool to the touch except for the center where the drive shaft enters, that was warm but not burn yourself hot. I changed all the oils in the front axle 20 hours and have been using the mfwd most of the time since spraying the vineyards.

So any idea what broke and how hard it is to fix? Need to get the tractor back into the field quickly. Thanks

/ M8540 narrow front axle locked up
1496282546960.jpg

/ M8540 narrow front axle locked up #3  
By your statement "changed all the oils in the front axle 20 hours" does this indicate you changed oil 20 hrs prior to noise? If so I wonder if you reinstalled the correct amount of oil in frt axle???????????

IMHO Kubota's instructions for changing/checking oil in MFWD frt axle could be a little easier to understand/perform

I considered that as well but it isn't the first time I've changed the oil in the axle. I'll find out though as I just dropped it off at the dealer for them to inspect as I've never worked on a front axle and do not have the time to learn now with everything else going on.

/ M8540 narrow front axle locked up #5  
Let us know the verdict. What are you changing the lubricant in the front axle multiple times for in the first place ?

And out of my ignorance, what is a "narrow" front axle as opposed to the standard one for that model tractor?

Last edited:
Let us know the verdict. What are you changing the lubricant in the front axle multiple times for in the first place ?

And out of my ignorance, what is a "narrow" front axle as opposed to the standard one for that model tractor?
Front axle oil was changed as part of the 50 hour service then supposed to be changed every 600 hours after.

Narrow is the entire tractor. It is an M series that is 54" total width. Has a grand L cab along with shortened front and rear axles.

Not the best picture but you can see how narrow it is while still being 85 horsepower 1496451435432.jpg

Tractor is supposedly fixed, need to go pick it up. The bearings failed that hold the drive shaft into the front axle. I talked with the mechanic a couple days ago about it and he has no idea why they failed. It was not a maintenance issue on my part but he had not seen it before so hopefully it won't be a problem again.

/ M8540 narrow front axle locked up #9  
glad to hear just a bearing, and sounds like easy fix with not much of a bill.

/ M8540 narrow front axle locked up #10  
what gear oil did you use @ time of replacement? udt or gl5 80/90? did you check level a few times after change to account for settling?