Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions)

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #1  

BX23S-1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23S
I just bought a brand new BX23s this past week...
Would it wise for me to add this additive to the very first tank of diesel fuel...?
I have a 5-gallon diesel fuel can, how much of this additive should i mix with 5-gallons of diesel fuel...???

Thanks...!

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #2  
I personally dont think you need it for a tractor....except for winter use to keep fuel from gelling. Ive been running my L3010 for 19 years now with only an additive in tje winter and a fuel system cleaner once a year

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #3  

Attachments

• scar-rating.jpg
    scar-rating.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 261
   / Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #4  
Dont know, but have had no issues and tractor runs strong.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #5  
I've always used PS White in the winter for anti-gel and PS Silver in the summer. My BX never smokes even at startup. No black soot around the exhaust either. I've got nearly 900 hours now and still runs, starts, and sound like new. The bottle gives the mixing amount but I think it''s around 2 oz per 5 gallon can. I just pour about that much into each empty can before taking them to the station for filling. I started using it in the 1st month or so after new. So for me, it can't hurt, seems to do very well for me, and one bottle treats 250 gallons or so so it last.

In comparison my bro has a BX, never uses PS. His engine always smells like a tired bus when he starts up, black soot all over the hood around the exhaust, black smoke when he restarts, and when under a heavy load. Even his garage stinks. His has around 250 hours.

YMMV but I'm sitcking with PS.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions)
I've always used PS White in the winter for anti-gel and PS Silver in the summer. My BX never smokes even at startup. No black soot around the exhaust either. I've got nearly 900 hours now and still runs, starts, and sound like new. The bottle gives the mixing amount but I think it''s around 2 oz per 5 gallon can. I just pour about that much into each empty can before taking them to the station for filling. I started using it in the 1st month or so after new. So for me, it can't hurt, seems to do very well for me, and one bottle treats 250 gallons or so so it last.

In comparison my bro has a BX, never uses PS. His engine always smells like a tired bus when he starts up, black soot all over the hood around the exhaust, black smoke when he restarts, and when under a heavy load. Even his garage stinks. His has around 250 hours.

YMMV but I'm sitcking with PS.

Pete, thank you for commenting...
does your brother buy different fuel or maybe buys his fuel at a different place than you do..?
Not that i don`t believe you, its just hard to believe there is such a difference between yours and his.

I`ve read some comments on the PS white actually dries out the fuel,
some people seem concerned that this can harm the pump (???)
Others say the stanadyne is the only stuff to buy/use.

Reason for all my questions, i`ve not owned a diesel in 20+ years,
and i know things have change over the years within diesel engines.
Fuel has also changed thru the years... wanna be sure i`m doing the right thing.

Last edited:
   / Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #9  
I just bought a brand new BX23s this past week...
Would it wise for me to add this additive to the very first tank of diesel fuel...?
I have a 5-gallon diesel fuel can, how much of this additive should i mix with 5-gallons of diesel fuel...??? }
I run a fuel system cleaner/cold flow inprover additive and a Cetane Boost in my fuel year round.
I have used this since day one.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #10  
I have a LOT of experience with diesel engines, a lot of them in generators where I hold a bunch of certs.

I have always been a bit leery of additives. Diesel is a lubricant. We used to start engines that hadn't been run in years. They would smoke a bit at startup but would run just fine and I knew they had no additives.

I bought a 97 Dodge Cummins from my brother that he had bought new. He was an additive guy and used them from day one. The fuel gauge quit working. That did not bother me but I decided to fix it in 2012 because I had the time. Expected to see the float maybe bad, NOPE! The entire apparatus had rotted in half inside the tank! While I did not send anything off for testing, I can think of nothing that would have done that to a piece of equipment immersed in diesel fuel other than the influence of the additives. I have never seen diesel fuel rot anything, it generally protects things.

That said, my BX-25 can be a huge bear when it gets really cold, to the point where several times after a big snow storm I have found myself laying under it trying to change the little tiny fuel filters, so I do use the white, and occasionally the Diesel 911 in the winter time. No troubles after that, but I never use it during summer months.

So, in my humble opinion, you use additives when you have a known problem. We did use antifungicide in our large generator tanks, and only because we had a reason.

Just my .02.

George

DSCN1250-small.JPGDSCN1250-small.JPG