Most useful and or necessary Mods for my BX2230

/ Most useful and or necessary Mods for my BX2230 #1  

joesco

Silver Member
I now have my BX2230 with an LA211 and a 54" MMM with 519 hours and turf tires. Once Spring /Summer weather finally arrives later this week in NH, I'm going to perform a 300 hour service. Bought a filter kit online, Rotella T6 engine oil and Kubota Super UDT2. I plan on flush and fill the diffs also. Lube is done on the tractor, loader and mower, will have to check out the mower's gear oil.

My uses will be light loader work, finish mowing, brush cutting and snow plowing.

Next, if member owners of BX's could recommend any mods that would be very helpful. Based on forum research, I may start with a rear skid plate, Tach-N-Go QA or one of their competitors, a canopy and a QA Snowplow.

I post a couple of pictures from the dealer's lot. . Thank you folks!

Attachments

• IMG_20170529_101229.jpg
    IMG_20170529_101229.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 301
  • IMG_20170529_101257.jpg
    IMG_20170529_101257.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 240
   / Most useful and or necessary Mods for my BX2230 #2  
For any loader work, you really want some weight in back. I have fluid in the rear tires, a box blade on the 3 point, and my own not-so-petite self, and it all makes a big difference. Without that, loader work is more than tricky, it's risky!
Make sure the HST cooling fan is intact. If not, replace it before doing heavy work or you'll risk overheating the transaxle.
Keep the radiator clean of dust and grass clippings, also to prevent overheating. Rinse the radiator vanes carefully to remove any dust.
My best mod has been a steering wheel spinner.

/ Most useful and or necessary Mods for my BX2230
For any loader work, you really want some weight in back. I have fluid in the rear tires, a box blade on the 3 point, and my own not-so-petite self, and it all makes a big difference. Without that, loader work is more than tricky, it's risky!
Make sure the HST cooling fan is intact. If not, replace it before doing heavy work or you'll risk overheating the transaxle.
Keep the radiator clean of dust and grass clippings, also to prevent overheating. Rinse the radiator vanes carefully to remove any dust.
My best mod has been a steering wheel spinner.
Great thanks very much!

/ Most useful and or necessary Mods for my BX2230 #4  
For inexpensive mods - get some hooks on the bucket, maybe d-rings.

To add weight for traction - Get "ballast/tool/ drum" - Take a 55 gallon drum or smaller, put a bar through it so you can hook is to your 3pt, stand some pipe in it to stick tool handles in (rakes, etc.), maybe a tall narrow box for other tools, put in bags of concrete till you reach the weight you want. Lot's of references on TBN
Alternatively get a backhoe attachment :)

Get some pallet forks, at least clamp ons. They make a world of difference. With a chain and pallet forks you can have a poor mans grapple.
An important consideration for us small tractor owners is how much does an entire package (attachment method, equipment) weigh compared to what we have.

Your pin on Wicked probably weighs about the same as his bucket. I think that's about what the bucket weighs on my B7610.

/edit -
And to the OP -
Do you have pallet forks?
With a $149 pair of clamp on pallet forks and a chain or two I was able to get sort of a "poor man's grapple" which greatly assisted in clearing 1/4 acre of brush and bamboo.
View attachment 447628
View attachment 447629
447628-grapple-bucket-scut-img_20150923_154916169_hdr-jpg

447629-grapple-bucket-scut-img_20150924_114013550_hdr-jpg

Let's me carry a LOT of brush. (sorry if the pics are big, didn't show like that in prior thread)

Get a few inexpensive LED lights (example 2X 27W 5Inch Spot Round LED Work Light Offroad Fog Driving DRL SUV ATV Truck 4WD | eBay $9/2) and a couple of magnets (example magnet $5) and put some lights on your ROPS.

Last edited:
   / Most useful and or necessary Mods for my BX2230 #5  
I agree with Grandad that rear weight is important. I have a BX2230 with FEL and it is absolutely scary without rear wheel weight. I use wheel weights and find that the tractor is more stable even for mowing on slight grades with the weights on. Wheel weights and liquid in the tires is a nice way to add weight because it adds stability without putting extra strain on the wheel bearings. I also have a tachometer that I could not live without.

/ Most useful and or necessary Mods for my BX2230 #6  
I added 11 gallons to my tires for stability. Major gain. For digging on my hillside, I add 45 lbs of weight on the wheels and 430 lbs on the 3pt. Turned it into a mini bulldozer.

Get yourself a new seat instead of that sloped painted concrete abomination. I got a nice one at TSC for $120. 2 holes matched and I had to drill a couple holes in the mount to match the other two. Messick's says they have upgraded seats on stock now also and probably no drilling.

Bro-Tek makes a plate for the underside. BXpanded doesn't make one for this model. The Bro-Tek one covers pretty well and has a trap door for the driveshaft. I also used some 1/2 inch plywood to extend the diamond plate from the mower lift arms forward to the hydraulic lines under the engine just to keep sticks out.

I love my Rachet Rake. Piranha is a great addition, but they are not compatible. Choose your weapon. :)

Check the air cleaner mount. These 3 cyl engines shake a lot at low rpm and the mount breaks easily. I recommend Rotella T6 synth oil to help tame this down, then never drop the idle too low.

Vote for Ken's Bolt-on Hooks. Absolutely invaluable.

Hey ewoz! What tach do you have? I've looked, but nothing seemed real great to me.

/ Most useful and or necessary Mods for my BX2230 #8  
All these are good inputs BUT it depends completely on what you will actually be doing with your machine. I use a BX2200 with 211 loader, 60" MMM, and a 3pt PTO driven bagger. Have used it 14 years so far and very happy with it (bought used with 225 hrs on it, over 800 on it now.) On the weight issue -- depends what you mean by "light loader work." If that means snow removal and lawn debris there is no need to be concerned about rear weight. If you want to move sand, gravel, full loads of mud, etc. then yes, you DO need rear weight. I find the big pto driven bagger on the rear of mine is all I need for weight back there. Yes, your big butt helps, as does mine. Kind of thing where you can add weight back there when/if you really need it.
What are you going to cut brush with ?
A snowplow is not going to be much more effective than the loader for snow removal in part because these little machines are not heavy enough to avoid being pushed sideways by any angular snow pushing. On top of that the loader makes a great tool for placing the snow to heck outta the way. I use a small blade on the rear and leave the loader on in the front for best "driveway clearing" because that allows me to do removal in both directions without deadheading either direction. You are going to want to get very fluent with removal of the MMM for snow work of course. Makes a good time to sharpen blades when you take off the deck. I'm not big on all these various gadgets to hang on the thing -- bucket forks, quick hitch adapters, teeth, lights, etc. That's all entirely up to your preferences/needs.
One mod I did & like a lot is drilling a couple of holes in the bucket to allow me to bolt on a receiver hitch (from TSC, intended to be an add-on for a truck bumper.) That allows me to move utility trailers around with great dexterity. On/off with 2 bolts.
In my years with the BX2200 I have found the original hydraulic hoses are notorious for failure. Have had both the steering hoses and the loader hoses replaced. Usually one goes and you do both of them "while you're in there." The steering cylinder that sits laterally under the front is also notorious for leaking and some go all the way to failure. I bought 3 of these machine (1 for self, one for daughter, one for stepson) and all 3 have had some degrees of steering cylinder leakage. Mine is off & on and I am holding a seal kit ready to do it. Another of the three just had minor drips that come and go as mine does. The third failed to where you could not steer it & had to be rebuilt. Not very expensive. But common.
Good luck, keep us posted.

All these are good inputs BUT it depends completely on what you will actually be doing with your machine. I use a BX2200 with 211 loader, 60" MMM, and a 3pt PTO driven bagger. Have used it 14 years so far and very happy with it (bought used with 225 hrs on it, over 800 on it now.) On the weight issue -- depends what you mean by "light loader work." If that means snow removal and lawn debris there is no need to be concerned about rear weight. If you want to move sand, gravel, full loads of mud, etc. then yes, you DO need rear weight. I find the big pto driven bagger on the rear of mine is all I need for weight back there. Yes, your big butt helps, as does mine. Kind of thing where you can add weight back there when/if you really need it.
What are you going to cut brush with ?
A snowplow is not going to be much more effective than the loader for snow removal in part because these little machines are not heavy enough to avoid being pushed sideways by any angular snow pushing. On top of that the loader makes a great tool for placing the snow to heck outta the way. I use a small blade on the rear and leave the loader on in the front for best "driveway clearing" because that allows me to do removal in both directions without deadheading either direction. You are going to want to get very fluent with removal of the MMM for snow work of course. Makes a good time to sharpen blades when you take off the deck. I'm not big on all these various gadgets to hang on the thing -- bucket forks, quick hitch adapters, teeth, lights, etc. That's all entirely up to your preferences/needs.
One mod I did & like a lot is drilling a couple of holes in the bucket to allow me to bolt on a receiver hitch (from TSC, intended to be an add-on for a truck bumper.) That allows me to move utility trailers around with great dexterity. On/off with 2 bolts.
In my years with the BX2200 I have found the original hydraulic hoses are notorious for failure. Have had both the steering hoses and the loader hoses replaced. Usually one goes and you do both of them "while you're in there." The steering cylinder that sits laterally under the front is also notorious for leaking and some go all the way to failure. I bought 3 of these machine (1 for self, one for daughter, one for stepson) and all 3 have had some degrees of steering cylinder leakage. Mine is off & on and I am holding a seal kit ready to do it. Another of the three just had minor drips that come and go as mine does. The third failed to where you could not steer it & had to be rebuilt. Not very expensive. But common.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Thanks for the detailed response. I have a 4' Brush Hog that I bought from TSC last year for my L2900.

My loader work would consist of moving compost, wood chips, cord wood and snow removal.

I started my 300 hour service today, doing the engine oil (Rotella T6), filter, air filter and grease. My front diff showed nothing on the dip stick, so that needs attention right away. I hope I don't have a bad seal. I also need to replace both fuel filters, may do a Racor conversion and then the hydro fluid and filter.

I also want to master the removal of the MMM so I clean it, sharpen or replace the blades, lube and check the pump.

I think removing the QA Loader would ease in mowing, thoughts? I need more YouTube education until I have time to dig through the manuals.

Thanks for all input and advice!