BX23S - Should i keep the fuel filter

/ BX23S - Should i keep the fuel filter #1  

BX23S-1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23S
I bought a kabota fuel filter assembly (part #15521-43015) to install just under the floor pan on the left side of the tractor. My plan is to install it before the lift pump. My question is, would you keep the little OEM filter can thats under the seat in-line within the fuel system, or just remove it all together from the tractor. I thought about just relocating it in front of the new fuel filter assembly where it can be changed out easier. My concern with leaving it within the fuel trail is, will it put to much strain on the lift pump having the 3rd filter. And another thought, i live in a cold climate area... me thinks that the little OEM filter would cause a restriction in the winter months.

/ BX23S - Should i keep the fuel filter #2  
What is the purpose of this additional filter? If it's designed as a specific Kubota accessory, it should have instructions on how to install it.

I don't believe I would be altering the factory engineered fuel system. Might also verify this won't affect your factory warranty.

/ BX23S - Should i keep the fuel filter
It wont void any warranties... i already confirmed this with kabota BEFORE i bought it, they agreed with my assessment that it would be a far better filter system. It is also a factory OEM fuel filter assembly thru kabota. It came as a complete bolt-on kit with very good instructions, all the hoses, clamps, brass fittings, mounting clips to bolt the entire fuel hose`s to the frame. The kit came with the mounting bracket to install the filter. This kit is mean`t for the BX sub compact tractors. (complete kit cost me $175 free shipping - Ebay)

I`m only installing it so that i can keep a better eye on whats going thru the fuel system and drain off water before it hits the injector pump. And its alot easier to change the filter cartridge rather than crawling under the tractor to fix a gelled up "tiny" filter in the middle of the winter. This filter assembly makes changing a filter cartridge a breeze... 5 mins tops, back up an running. The filter cartridge`s are only $3.90 thru the kabota dealer...thats cheaper than the stock OEM tiny filter. Adding this fuel filter assembly is one of the best things you can do for your BX series tractors in my own opinion. The tiny little filters are extremely difficult not only to change, but to just get at, especially in the winter. The majority of problems are usually in the winter... i dont want to be crawling under the tractor in the middle of the cold months.

/ BX23S - Should i keep the fuel filter #4  
Good idea, the little filters suck and plug up easy. Get rid of the little one at the back and leave the one up near the engine.

/ BX23S - Should i keep the fuel filter #5  
Just make sure you have a filter ahead of lift pump.

Just make sure you have a filter ahead of lift pump.

Yup for sure, my plan is to hook the filter kit up BEFORE the lift pump and leave the factory tiny filter before the injection pump.
This should protect everything after the tank and before anything hits the injection pump.
Also running full strength PS Diesel Kleen, sliver summer, white winter.

Basically, all i`m doing is installing the new filter kit in place of the tiny OEM filter that it came with, back at the lift pump area.
Only thing different will be where i install the new filter kit at... it`ll live just under the floor pan attached to the FEL frame tube.
But it will definitely be installed before the lift pump. Tank line to new filter kit, then to lift pump, to front filter, to injection pump.

Delete rear filter, new filter with sight bowl will replace the rear filter.

Last edited:
   / BX23S - Should i keep the fuel filter #7  
As long as you don't restrict the fuel flow excessively, there is no such thing as too many filters. I have a cartridge type filter on my fuel cart and filter the fuel as it enters the tank. I never once had to replace the factory filter on my L3430 in the 10 years (1400 hrs) I owned it. I replace the cartridge filter annual. It takes all of 30 seconds and requires no fuel system bleeding.

Good idea, the little filters suck and plug up easy. Get rid of the little one at the back and leave the one up near the engine.

Thats my plan dodge man...
i`m glad i spent the $175 now, for this kit, its far cheaper than a new injection pump. That rear filter is in the history books...!!!! lol
Of course, not to mention, i can stay ahead of the winter game of frozen filters, as well as watch for condensation building up in the sight bowl.

As long as you don't restrict the fuel flow excessively, there is no such thing as too many filters. I have a cartridge type filter on my fuel cart and filter the fuel as it enters the tank. I never once had to replace the factory filter on my L3430 in the 10 years (1400 hrs) I owned it. I replace the cartridge filter annual. It takes all of 30 seconds and requires no fuel system bleeding.

Your L series has a much better filter system, the BX series are very weak in that respect.
So that why i`m changing mine to a better fuel filter system... seconds to change, back on the road to workin.

/ BX23S - Should i keep the fuel filter #10  
Good plan. And I would loose the OEM filter. There is no need to keep it after installing the new and upgraded fuel filter assembly.