Safe way to change a belt on RCK60 deck on BX25

/ Safe way to change a belt on RCK60 deck on BX25 #1  

navyjoe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25 and L2501
Some ideas please on a safe way to relieve the spring tension to remove the belt. I have had a bad experience on another mower trying to remove the spring. Messed up a finger pretty bad. When I removed the belt on the RCK60 yesterday to drain the gear box I just forced the belt over the farthest pulley. Of course now I will need to get it back on! If one could safely remove/replace the tensioner spring that to me would be the preferred method.

One other thing. The 60B mowing deck is too large to slide out between the wheels. Also the deck height adjustment bolt hits the frame. Once you have detached the deck from the tractor, start the tractor and use the bucket to lift the fronts wheels about 6" off the ground then roll the deck under the frame then lower the tractor back down and follow the procedure to reattach the deck.

Last edited:
   / Safe way to change a belt on RCK60 deck on BX25 #2  
Some ideas please on a safe way to relieve the spring tension to remove the belt.

I use large Brake Spring Pliers to stretch the spring into place. I put a 1/4 inch bolt in the vicinity of the peg that the spring attaches to that I use to support the pliers. I have a RCK54 but the idea should work on your deck as well.

/ Safe way to change a belt on RCK60 deck on BX25
I use large Brake Spring Pliers to stretch the spring into place. I put a 1/4 inch bolt in the vicinity of the peg that the spring attaches to that I use to support the pliers. I have a RCK54 but the idea should work on your deck as well.
Somewhere I have one of those. Bought it a Pep-Boys over 50 years ago. Wonder if they would be strong enough? Do you use a simple straight bolt or one with an eyelet?

/ Safe way to change a belt on RCK60 deck on BX25 #4  
Do you use a simple straight bolt or one with an eyelet?

I use a simple straight bolt. The secret is putting it in the right place. It took me a couple of tries... I bet your Pep Boys tool is strong enough as long as it is big enough to give you adequate leverage. If I remember correctly my pliers are about 1 foot long. I bought them from Sears.

/ Safe way to change a belt on RCK60 deck on BX25 #5  
Obtain a piece of recoil starter rope as used in small engines, mowers, etc.

Pass one end through the hook end of the spring, double back so you have made a loop and wrap the two free ends around a 'handle' of some sort like a piece of bar or stick etc.

You can pull the spring easily and safely from a distance of 12-18" while guiding the spring over its hook/post. Same for refitting.
No finger anywhere near the spring for tissue damage or red-fluid escape.

:wrench:

Obtain a piece of recoil starter rope as used in small engines, mowers, etc.

Pass one end through the hook end of the spring, double back so you have made a loop and wrap the two free ends around a 'handle' of some sort like a piece of bar or stick etc.

You can pull the spring easily and safely from a distance of 12-18" while guiding the spring over its hook/post. Same for refitting.
No finger anywhere near the spring for tissue damage or red-fluid escape.

That is a clever idea. I will have to try that next time. Don't know if I'm strong enough any more though to pull that much strain however:sigh:

/ Safe way to change a belt on RCK60 deck on BX25 #7  
If necessary you can work this sitting on the ground. Brace your legs against deck areas anywhere handy. Adjust rope length to suit.

I use a simple straight bolt. The secret is putting it in the right place. It took me a couple of tries... I bet your Pep Boys tool is strong enough as long as it is big enough to give you adequate leverage. If I remember correctly my pliers are about 1 foot long. I bought them from Sears.

Thanks again. Ill find that old tool and be ready next time. Going to by a spare belt in the meanwhile to get ready!

/ Safe way to change a belt on RCK60 deck on BX25 #9  
Just wedge a board against the idler and stretch the spring and start it on the far pulley and roll it on as I spin the pulley around.

David

/ Safe way to change a belt on RCK60 deck on BX25 #10  
As far as getting the deck in or out from under the tractor, I bought 4 of these to put under each anti-scalp wheel. Makes it so I can move the deck in any direction to line it up and not have to swivel the wheels. The cups in the casters fit the deck wheels just right. I drive the BX up onto a couple 2x8s to gain another 1.5" of height. A 2" thick board would be even better. Usually when mowing, I have the loader off, so can't just raise the front with the FEL always.

Shop Waxman 1-1/4-in Plastic Swivel Caster at Lowes.com