" Confused " Replacing Hydraulic Oil Filter on 2601

/ " Confused " Replacing Hydraulic Oil Filter on 2601 #1  

Indian MC

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Hey Folks,
I'm in the process of completing my duties at 50 hours. Yes,,, Maybe a bunch over.. :)
" Replace Hydraulic Oil Filter "
My owners manual maintenance service intervals is telling me to remove two drain plugs at the bottom of the transmission case when changing the hydraulic filter.
Drain, replace filter, refill at the transmission.
Am I doing only a Hydraulic Filter change or something else?
Does the trans and Hydraulic share the same fluid?
I know where the fill is for the trans.
Is this the place to check for level after changing the hydraulic filter?
Or, do I have a fill/dipstick somewhere else for the Hydraulics?
Sorry, if I sound dumb. She's my first Tractor.

/ " Confused " Replacing Hydraulic Oil Filter on 2601 #2  
It's all the same fluid: The hydraulics, the steering, the 3PH, the loader, the backhoe if equipped, and the transmission all draw from and share the same reservoir.

/ " Confused " Replacing Hydraulic Oil Filter on 2601 #3  
Not sute on your specific model, but kubotas usually have a little sight glass for level. Bout the size of a quarter. Your manual should show you where.

No need to drain fluid to change filter. Take the fill cap off, put a shop-vac on it. It will draw a vacuum on the reservoir/case and you will only loose whats in the filter +/- a few drops.

/ " Confused " Replacing Hydraulic Oil Filter on 2601 #4  
The B2620 has a dipstick and I believe the 2601 does also. It's been awhile since I've looked at a B2601. It should look like a little yellow ball, on my 2620 it is by my right heal.

/ " Confused " Replacing Hydraulic Oil Filter on 2601 #5  
You don't drain the fluid to change the filters. There are some tricks you can use (search) to minimize the amount of fluid you'll lose. Have an extra 1-2 quarts on hand just in case. I've never lost more than about a cup worth.

/ " Confused " Replacing Hydraulic Oil Filter on 2601 #6  
You need to change the hydraulic filter and the transmission oil filter (HST). The hydraulic system and the transmission share the same oil. Before you remove the filters leave the dip stick in and cover it with one of those cheap non sealable sandwich bags with a rubber band wrapped around the tube. I didn't lose more than a tablespoon or two.

/ " Confused " Replacing Hydraulic Oil Filter on 2601
Ok, a couple of you folks have already caused me to be even more confused. :)
My service interval is telling me to change the hydraulic filter at 50 hours and to refer to a specific page in the manual for changing the filter.
" Changing your Hydraulic Filter " Found it.
Why is is telling me to remove two drain plugs at the same time as changing the filter?
Yes, TMGT, I have a dipstick with a ball in the back directly behind my 3-point where the backhoe is currently connected.
I'm thinking this is my Hydraulics, Trans or both combined.

/ " Confused " Replacing Hydraulic Oil Filter on 2601 #8  
Yes that dipstick is for hydraulic and trans, they are one and the same fluid resivoir. The section you're looking at us probably refering to the drain plugs and is asuming you're doing a full service.
Are the drain plugs the manual is refering to located on the bottom inside of the rear axles final drive?

/ " Confused " Replacing Hydraulic Oil Filter on 2601
Yes that dipstick is for hydraulic and trans, they are one and the same fluid resivoir. The section you're looking at us probably refering to the drain plugs and is asuming you're doing a full service.
Are the drain plugs the manual is refering to located on the bottom inside of the rear axles final drive?

No. TMGT.. Two drain plugs up around the filter. Right around several inches of the filter itself.

Why should I have to pull these plugs and drain, when I'm only ordered to do a filter change at 50 hours?

It seem to me that Kubota is trying to confuse and send you back to the dealer to do any required simple maintenance.

/ " Confused " Replacing Hydraulic Oil Filter on 2601 #10  
Remove ONLY the filters and NOT those drain plugs UNTIL you get ready to change the fluid which will be at 200 or 400 hours per YOUR owners manual. The proof dept must have let a mistake go to printing. Do as the above owners have told you and keep all sources of checking/adding fluid closed and be prepared to remove those filters quickly and install the new ones quickly with some Kubota SUDT2 fluid on hand to refill at that hole in the back above the 3ph after checking level with the stick down by your foot.